• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Level Adjustment/ECL Feat question

Acmite

First Post
I'm not 100% sure how feats work for monster PCs that have a single hit die and a level adjustment.

Example: Githzerai Sorceror 6 (ECL 6)

Would this character get:

a) 3 feats (1st level githzerai, 3rd level character, 6th level character)

or

b) 2 feats (1st character level at ECL 3 (hit die + 2 LA), 3rd charcter level at ECL 6)

AGGEMAM

First Post
Feat Acquisition and Ability Score Increases: A monster’s total Hit Dice, not its ECL, govern its acquisition of feats and ability score increases.

A class level essentially just adds another HD.

Acmite

First Post
Re: Re: [3.5] Level Adjustment/ECL Feat question

Spatula said:
Do you mean Sorcerer 4?Do you mean ECL 5?

In any case, the answer is B. You use the HD and not the ECL for feat acquisition.

Ummm..yeah. I meant Sorceror 3 ECL 6 and 3rd character level (ECL 6).

From what Aggemam quoted, it looks like an ECL 6 Githzerai would have 3 feats.

So, the Githzerai Sorceror 3 (ECL 6--1 HD + 2 LA + Class levels) would have 3 feats.

Acmite

First Post
Re: Re: [3.5] Level Adjustment/ECL Feat question

Spatula said:
In any case, the answer is B. You use the HD and not the ECL for feat acquisition.

Wouldn't that be option A since an ECL 6 Githzerai would have 6HD?

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: [3.5] Level Adjustment/ECL Feat question

Acmite said:
Wouldn't that be option A since an ECL 6 Githzerai would have 6HD?

An ECL 6 Gitzerai would not have 6 HD. He would have 4 at the most. If he had 6 HD, he would be ECL 8.

Acmite

First Post
Wjoa. That was a brain fart on my part. It's really bad since I gave the definition of ECL above.

I think I'm going to go have a nap now. :eek:

Spatula

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: [3.5] Level Adjustment/ECL Feat question

Acmite said:
So, the Githzerai Sorceror 3 (ECL 6--1 HD + 2 LA + Class levels) would have 3 feats.
Creatures with 1 HD lose that HD if they take a class level (such as elves, dwarves, orcs, humans, and githzerai). A githzerai sorcerer 3 would have an ECL of 5 - 3 class levels + level adjustment of 2.

MIElfboy

First Post
Do you mean Sorcerer 4?Do you mean ECL 5?

I have been trying to look for this myself, can someone send me a source for this info? Where does it say that you use HD and not ECL?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads