• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Noteworthy spell changes

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Also note that undetectable aura is part of Nystul's magic aura

Ooooo-ooh. I like that one. Always liked the spells, but the utility of one-or-the-other made it hard to justify preparing one.

-Hyp.

Tar-Edhel

First Post
Re: Re: [3.5] Noteworthy spell changes

Li Shenron said:
I have no idea which school would make best sense for teleportation spells, but conjuration is no worse than transmutation. This change was probably done only to beef up Con school and tone down Tra with the same fix.

But it's a pain you know where when your character is a transmuter specialized on transportation spells...

For this specific spell, I think Evocation makes more sense than Transmutaion, but Conjuration would have worked as well. Apart that other Conj damaging spells are becoming Evo as well...

Other conjuration damage spells that were transferred to evocation? A pain in the you know where when your transmuter has evo as opposed school.

Those changes are crap, period.

Croaker

First Post
Identify now takes one hour to cast, affects only one item, and reveals all powers, activation requirements, and charges. Still costs a 100gp pearl for arcane casters, tho.

All spells with the Teleportation descriptor have been moved from Transmutation to Conjuration.

Eyebite is now a necromancy spell, and an [evil] one at that, that has only one effect, to sicken the target.

Deathwatch has the [evil] descriptor, so good clerics can no longer use it to keep an eye on their companions' status.

Dwarmaj

First Post
Is the "enhancement" bonus from Barkskin [3.5] a new bonus type?

You forgot that Shapechange now gives the caster the Su abilities of the form. You can now change into a dragon and breathe, then change into a Beholder and hit opponants with eye rays or Anti-Magic. [not a fan of this change]

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Deathwatch has the [evil] descriptor, so good clerics can no longer use it to keep an eye on their companions' status.

Companions' status?

I'm more unhappy that we can't use it as an ambush detector any more...

"Thirty creatures 'fighting off death', 8 meters... 7... 6..."

"That can't be - that's inside the room!"

"It's reading right, man, look!"

"Then you're not reading it right!"

-Hyp.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Ooooo-ooh. I like that one. Always liked the spells, but the utility of one-or-the-other made it hard to justify preparing one.

-Hyp.

I like the change but it seems more than a bit inconsistent with them breaking every other spell down into 32 different flavors. Emotion, naw now we got pissy and happy. :rolleyes:

drnuncheon

Explorer
ForceUser said:
The text now clearly states that a wish spell always costs at least 5000 XP to cast. :frown:

I hate to break this to ya, but it's that way in the 3.0 PHB as well. Unlike miracle, it doesn't say "5000 xp (for some uses of the spell)", it says "5000 xp (or more)".

J

ForceUser

Explorer
Re: Re: [3.5] Noteworthy spell changes

drnuncheon said:

I hate to break this to ya, but it's that way in the 3.0 PHB as well. Unlike miracle, it doesn't say "5000 xp (for some uses of the spell)", it says "5000 xp (or more)".

J
The 3.0 text was too ambiguous for me and my friends; it could be interpreted to mean you only pay the cost in certain instances. They changed the wording in 3.5 to make it crystal-clear.

coyote6

Adventurer
I am really unfond of all the make-spells-less-flexible changes. D&D's magic system is already fairly inflexible, with set spells that have to be prepared or chosen far ahead of time. I'm sure the changes will play swell for the D&D Miniatures game, but it makes the game less fun for spellcasters.

Remove ads