• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.5 or 4th edition?

catsclaw227

First Post
Welcome barbarianguy!

This is a touchy topic, actually, and can ruffle some ffeathers if not handled properly. There are many different opinions about which version of "D&D" people like to play and some opinions are shouted louder than others.

Personally, I prefer to DM 4e right now, but I liked DMing 3.x up to, hmmm say 13th or 14th as well. Pathfinder, a port of the 3.5 rules, is well liked by many too.

I say it's OK to ask for some opinions, but keep in mind, you may not get a satisfactory answer. In my opinion, find out what kind of game your group likes and then use that information to cull your answer from what information you find online.

barbarianguy

First Post
Thanks for the advice everyone, and sorry, I didn't know such a topic could start heated discussions. I will probably try both as you suggested, catclaw.

tburdett

Explorer
My group tried 4th edition but nobody liked it. We're all in our late 30's to early 40's and just too set in our ways I guess. 3.5e / Pathfinder are what we usually play with previous editions (except for 2e) getting a one shot from time to time.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
barbarianguy said:
Hi again! :p
What do you prefer and why? 3.5 or 4E? Thanks in advance everyone, I need to know so as to help me choose which edition to play with my group! :lol: Also, would 3.5 be easier for new players, since me and my group have never played before?

Some more information might help people guide you to a better choice. How large is your group? How often would you be playing? Are you new to RPGs in general or just D&D? What age range are the players? Are you familiar with other kinds of hobby gaming such as miniatures, clix, or CCGs? If so, what sorts do you like?

There currently 5 or 6 "flavors" of D&D being published if you include retro-clones, each one catering to a different set of preferred play styles.

Wicht

Hero
I play Pathfinder, which if you want to get into 3e games with no experience would be my recomendation as it enjoys one thing 3.5 does not at the moment: continued support and new products. Besides which, its a fun system.

barbarianguy

First Post
To answer your questions, Reynard: We will be 5 people including me, once a week, yes I'm new to RPGs, I'm 13 and the rest are either 13 or 12, yes I have been modeling minis and playing warhammer for a while. Hope that answers all your questions.

Last edited:

Shazman

Banned
Banned
It all depends on what you and your group like. 4E may be a bit easier to learn, and can be easier to run, but it has it's drawbacks as well. I personally find 3.5 (or Pathfinder which is the most current successor to 3.5 that has books in print and is still being supported) to be more satisfying to run and play even if it can be more complex at times. You may try both to get a feel for them and then decide. As a side note, this thread will probably be locked fairly quickly.

Remove ads