D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 / PF Hellbred build

pawsplay

Hero
Sure, sure. We are just talking about backup weapons here, though. It would be a pretty unusual lich, though, that could take more than a couple of rounds of solid punishment; once you get through those "special defenses," most CR-appropriate foes are going to be fairly squishy. With the bow, you would mostly be enhancing the arrows, if you were going to use archery in an active way, rather than taking pot shots at flying casters.

Fig 4/Rog 7 - W Focus (shortsword) (B), W Spec (shortsword) (B), Two Weapon Fighting (B), Quick Draw, Blind-Fight, Two Weapon Defense, Improved Initiative.

But anyway, it's a moot point, since it looks like we're cooking Warlock tonight.

Hellbred Warlock 11 - Ability Focus (eldritch blast), Lightning Reflexes, Extra Invocation x2. Extra Invocation gets better at higher levels. Since each invocation is almost like a superpower, extra invocations gets you some sick versatility, and you can layer plenty of effects on almost all of the time. Ability Focus will beef up your EB if you use an area, or any rider effects from essence invocations. Lightning Reflexes I threw in there, because with a low Ref save its basically extra hit points if you are going to face area effects, and you will (and at some point, you may grab a ring of evasion). At 12th level, Improved Critical (ray).

I like Hellfire Warlock. It's a little more specialized, but it certainly brings the kaboom. I would be cautious about the combination of Con damage and inability to be rezzed.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
How about a Warlock/Barbarian using Eldritch Glaive as his weapon? Try if possible to get Pounce from Lion Totem (C.Champion) and Whirling Frenzy (Unearthed Arcana) instead of Rage. I'd need to check Eldritch Glaive to make sure you could pounce with it, but if so, the Shock Trooper and Leap Attack/Power Attack tree are sexy as ever. Really, hitting touch AC with a two-handed weapon in general is enough to make Power Attack sexy. Dip 1-2 into Fighter if you must to get all the feats you want.

Alternatively, get Combat Reflexes, Hold the Line, and Stand Still, and make a martial controller out of the build.

Dandu

First Post
Hellbred Warlock 11 - Ability Focus (eldritch blast), Lightning Reflexes, Extra Invocation x2. Extra Invocation gets better at higher levels. Since each invocation is almost like a superpower, extra invocations gets you some sick versatility, and you can layer plenty of effects on almost all of the time. Ability Focus will beef up your EB if you use an area, or any rider effects from essence invocations. Lightning Reflexes I threw in there, because with a low Ref save its basically extra hit points if you are going to face area effects, and you will (and at some point, you may grab a ring of evasion). At 12th level, Improved Critical (ray).
Iago disagrees with your feat choices.
I like Hellfire Warlock. It's a little more specialized, but it certainly brings the kaboom. I would be cautious about the combination of Con damage and inability to be rezzed.
Bind Naeberus or taking the feat Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest are the most straightforward ways to deal with that little problem. Rods of Bodily Renewal and Wands of Lesser Restoration work as well.

And I don't recall any mention of an inability to be rezzed.

pawsplay

Hero
Iago disagrees with your feat choices.

Taking an additional lesser invocation at 12th level is also very good. I just think it's hard to argue with a 1 in 10 chance of threatening a crit with a multiple dice attack.

Bind Naeberus or taking the feat Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest are the most straightforward ways to deal with that little problem. Rods of Bodily Renewal and Wands of Lesser Restoration work as well.

Hm, I thought binding was out.

And I don't recall any mention of an inability to be rezzed.

Ok, it's not as bad as I thought. Hellbred can be rezzed, just not raised. At 11th level, not as much of an issue.

Dandu

First Post
Taking an additional lesser invocation at 12th level is also very good. I just think it's hard to argue with a 1 in 10 chance of threatening a crit with a multiple dice attack.

Also hard to argue with the ability to dispel magic. Relentlessly.
Hm, I thought binding was out.

Just stating it for the record.

pawsplay

Hero
I would probably have See the Unseen, Eldritch Spear, Devil's Sight, Voracious Dispelling, Fell Flight, Beshadowed Blast, and Vitriolic Blast at level 11th. With two additional least invocations, I'd go for Darkness and Beguiling Influence.

For a 12th level feat, it would be a toss-up for me between Improved Critical (Ray) and Extra Invocation. The extra invocation would likely be Walk Unseen or Flee the Scene. I would probably take the extra invocation if I planned to snag Eldritch Cone at 13th level, but I tend to favor Chilling Tentacles or Wall of Perilous Flame.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I would probably have See the Unseen, Eldritch Spear, Devil's Sight, Voracious Dispelling, Fell Flight, Beshadowed Blast, and Vitriolic Blast at level 11th. With two additional least invocations, I'd go for Darkness and Beguiling Influence.

Eh, I would just use a wand or scroll for Devil's Sight (Ebon Eyes, from Spell Compendium). You didn't mention darkness, but that's also a cheap item to get.

Not sure how useful the Dispelling will be. I mean, dispel is great to have. But, it caps at CL 10, and by the start of the game, it's already down a level from what a caster could have, and the problem only gets worse with leveling. To make matters worse, a Warlock needs to get into melee to use his Greater Dispel later on... To me, Warlocks just aren't meant for dispelling later game. Up to level 10 it's nice, but worth switching out eventually afterwards.

Hmm...if i were making a level 11 single classed Warlock, I'd pick...

Least: 3 Eldritch Spear, Baleful Utterance, and See the Unseen (take Entropic Warding if you take Voidesense)
Lesser: Fell Flight, Walk Unseen, and Flee the Scene (if you can use it in a grapple) or Voidsense (if the DM's rigid)
Greater: Vitriolic Blast or Chilling Tentacles (If the latter, swap it out later on)

pawsplay

Hero
Eh, I would just use a wand or scroll for Devil's Sight (Ebon Eyes, from Spell Compendium). You didn't mention darkness, but that's also a cheap item to get.

Any plan for dealing with poor lighting conditions that requires light to read by is suspect. :) Darkness items are cheap, but if you can see in the dark and your opponents can't, you might as well do it all the time.

Remove ads