D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Polymorph gives Rust Monster's "Rust (Ex)" special attack

Ransom

First Post
Our DM pulled this on us last night thanks to this particular thread! Jerks! :p

He didn't allow a saving throw for my magical mace getting destroyed when I attacked the polymorphed individual.

Have you come to a concensus whether magic item always get a save or our little rust monster is an exception?

allenw

Explorer
Stalker0 said:
Magic items always gets a save, unless the text directly says otherwise. Even if the spell normally says no save, that's for the person, the item always gets a save if its magic.
What's your source for this assertion?

shilsen

Adventurer
allenw said:
What's your source for this assertion?
Maybe DMG pg.214 - "Magic items should always get a saving throw against spells that might deal damage to them - even against attacks from which a nonmagical item would normally get no chance to save."

shilsen

Adventurer
Ransom said:
Our DM pulled this on us last night thanks to this particular thread! Jerks! :p

He didn't allow a saving throw for my magical mace getting destroyed when I attacked the polymorphed individual.

Have you come to a concensus whether magic item always get a save or our little rust monster is an exception?

I don't think there's a consensus. I'm in the "get a save" category.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Why a penalty when none is specified? I'd just allow a save for the magic item. There's no point in deliberately screwing a player on a technicality.

The next question is... what happens to someone in iron body form when they are hit by a rust monster?

shilsen

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
The next question is... what happens to someone in iron body form when they are hit by a rust monster?

It's open to interpretation, so this is what I'd do: Since the metal body is magically created, I would allow a DC 17 Reflex save as magic items made out of metal get if hit by a rust monster. If the save is failed, then the person dies.

Remove ads