D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Polymorph gives Rust Monster's "Rust (Ex)" special attack

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Hmm. I'd probably use damage equal to a disintegration spell; huge amounts of pain and probable death, but not an intrinsic save or die.

Thanks for the advice!

Kalanyr

Explorer
Hehe, to be honest regarding the druid the spell that Rusting Grasp was based of was an Arcane Spell in 2e (its in Player's Option: Spells and Magic (wish I could remember its name now)), so I always wondered why it was a druid spell.

Diirk

First Post
That clause about magic items always getting a save was in regards to spells... a rust monsters (Ex) ability isn't a spell.

(Just playing devils advocate)

shilsen

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Hmm. I'd probably use damage equal to a disintegration spell; huge amounts of pain and probable death, but not an intrinsic save or die.

Thanks for the advice!
No problem. Actually I prefer your ruling. Getting someone able to cast 8th lvl spells killed by a rust monster is a bit much. Tempting, but a bit much ;)

Bauglir

First Post
Diirk said:
That clause about magic items always getting a save was in regards to spells... a rust monsters (Ex) ability isn't a spell.

(Just playing devils advocate)

I agree. Choosing to hit a rust monster with a magic weapon is akin to voluntarily dipping your hand in green slime. (Only in this case the consequences are worse - instant death for the weapon, but the consequences should have no bearing on the mechanic) - No save in either case.

That said, I don't personally include Rust monsters in my game because I think it's a poor mechanic. (imo their attack should deal damage to the weapon (bypassing hardness) rather than instantly destroying it)

At least in 3.5 they rewrote it a little better:

SRD 3.0 said:
Rust (Ex): A rust monster that makes a successful touch attack with its antennae causes the target metal to corrode, falling to pieces and becoming useless immediately. The size of the object is immaterial-a full suit of armor rusts away as quickly as a sword. Magic armor and weapons, and other enchanted items made of metal, must succeed at a Reflex save (DC 20) or be dissolved. A metal weapon that deals damage to a rust monster also corrodes immediately. Wooden, stone, and other nonmetallic weapons are unaffected.
(highlight mine)

Bringing a rust monster to Acheron and watching it instantly annihilate the iron cubes there is fun :)

Eye Tyrant

First Post
thank god my players don't read these boards (which I can't understand)... I'd have to go with the saving throw for magic weapons, because it seems pretty clear to me that magic items always get a save... I also (agree with and) need to change the rust attack to (Su) and not (Ex), or my spellcasters will be constantly turning into Rust Monsters...

Remove ads