• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.5 Psionics?

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
I hope they revise psionic combat. Maybe with Mindscapes.

As it is, common wisdom is that psions work if you use either Mind's Eye or Mindscapes. I think you really need both.

I'm working with psions extensively for the first time right now, and while I do believe that there are some nice comparative advantages with magic users, there class does seem seriously week. Particularly with regard to the horrible psionic combat rules.

Still, my DM is running a psionics are different style campaign so I expect I'll do allright.

Apok

First Post
Dinkeldog said:

As it is, common wisdom is that psions work if you use either Mind's Eye or Mindscapes. I think you really need both.

One can only hope that, if WotC is indeed planning a revised Psionics Handbook, they will take this advice to heart. They could do a hell of a lot worse than using Mindscapes as a starting point for ideas.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Apok said:

One can only hope that, if WotC is indeed planning a revised Psionics Handbook, they will take this advice to heart. They could do a hell of a lot worse than using Mindscapes as a starting point for ideas.

After all, it was written by Bruce Cordell.

Mindscapes was sweeet. :cool:

I personally hope it is bigger than the first with more powers, more advice on how to integrate psionics into you campaign, more monsters, more prestige classes, more psionic items etc.

Make it as big a Savage Species.

Last edited:

D'arc DeWinter

First Post
Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I should try to pick up a used copy

Psionics rules are now included in the SRD. You might be able to get along with just that until a revised version comes along. On the other hand, it could be quite a while till we see 3.5 psionics (if ever).

Goobermunch

Explorer
Shard O'Glase said:
I'm nearly postive they said there would be psionics IN the camapign world, though I don't know if they said or implied it would be psionic heavy.

I don't know. I suspect that people have taken a couple of innocent related things and connected them. F'rex: The Psionics Poll that came out the day that WotC announced the winner. Then, there's Mr. Baker's obviously tongue-in-cheek response to the poll "I mean, I knew that a world where people played psionic slimes, jellies, and puddings was really an unbeatable concept, but I'd still like to see what it was up against... "

I think people may be making some unsupported assumptions. Of course, it would be silly for WotC to release a campaign setting where Psionics were not available at all (that cuts off a part of the potential market), but I don't know that they'll play any substantial role in the setting.

In the interest of full disclosure: I used to work with Mr. Baker. I know people who are playtesting his campaign setting. I know nothing specific about it.

--G

Claude Raines

First Post
Dinkeldog said:

I would be really surprised if WotC used a third party product, even though it is written by the author of the Psi Handbook and is a better system. Besides, I think they'll feel that the current Psi combat system is too much of a sacred cow to get rid of.

Voneth

First Post
Well, it wasn't hard for people to make assumptions, one of the most interesting questions in the survey was the last one.

"What rules system would you use for psionics" And went to mention Level-based, feat and skill bases and "something completely different."

.... Lord knows why they put up such a question AFTER the PsiHB was out. One would assume such questions should be asked BEFORE even starting the book.

I think it was a reliable source that said more than 4,000 people repsonded to the survey in less than two days. Pity the public never got to hear the results.

Last edited:

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Voneth said:
I think it was a reliable source that said more than 4,000 people repsonded to the survey in less than two days. Pity the public never got to hear the results.

Yea, I'd be really interested in seeing those myself.

I'm not really sure which way I lean. Powers with levels are nice as they are a quick way to determine how potant a power is, but skills and feats are more fun. *shrug*

Davelozzi

Explorer
Ashrem Bayle said:
After all, it was written by Bruce Cordell.

Mindscapes was sweeet. :cool:

Personally, I thought that Mindscapes was a little uninspiring.

And frankly, I don't really see why everyone gives Bruce so many props as the master of all things psionic. After all, it's taken him three tries to get psionics to where they are now, and IMHO they could still use some work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads