D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 revisions I'm not going to use!

Iron_Chef

First Post
I hope they change item creation feats. There are way too many.

Merge Scribe Scroll, Brew Potion and also allow creation of one shot wands or other misc. goodies; give this to wizards at 3rd level as a bonus feat instead of just Scribe Scroll at first.

Merge Craft Wand/Rod/Staff into one feat; allows creation of multiple (but finite) use items of any kind.

Merge Forge Ring into Craft Wondrous Item.
________

My ideas (influenced or lifted from Green Ronin's Plot & Poison):

Create Single-Use Item:
Prereq: Spellcaster 3rd level
Bennie: you can create one shot items like scrolls, potions and wands with one charge.

Create Multiple Use Item:
Prereq: Create Single Use Item
Bennie: you can create items with multiple charges, like 3e wands, staves and rods, as well as some wondrous items. Could also be applied to create "multi-dose" potions or whatever.

Craft Caster's Level Item (Meta-Item Creation Feat)
Prereq: Spell Caster
Bennie: You use your DC (as if you'd cast the spell yourself) for the effects of all magic items you create. This doubles the cost of the item, but at least the DC doesn't suck rocks like most everything in the DMG.

I don't have the book in front of me but you get the idea. It frees casters up to get more fun feats.

Last edited:

torem13

First Post
Interesting variation on the create items. One thought, Do you need to separate items that can only be uses by a spellcaster (ie, scrolls) from stuff that can be used by anyone (ie, potions) or does the cost difference take care of this?

MisterTwister

First Post
The Wizard spellbook costs are difinatly in. That was terrible before.

The bard changes I have heard about sound great.

The Barbarian and Ranger changes seem a bit unimaginitive to me.

Spell Focus IS for the best now. Especially if they equate a +2/+2 feat with a +3 feat.

Power Attack seems screwy. (posted elsewhere)

I think we are seeing evidence of brain drain from the WOTC work force.

Aaron2

Explorer
torem13 said:
Do you need to separate items that can only be uses by a spellcaster (ie, scrolls) from stuff that can be used by anyone (ie, potions) or does the cost difference take care of this?

Yes, Potions cost twice as much as scrolls.

Aaron

seasong

First Post
There's only two changes I really think are stupid: haste and the stat buff duration. In both cases I think something needed doing, I just don't think that WotC went the right route.

For stat buffs, 10 minutes/level would be good; 1 min/level is longer than will matter for a combat, and is too short to matter for dungeon crawling. There's no reason for that specific duration.

For haste, the only real problem with it was spell casters. A rule stating "A maximum of one standard and one quickened spell may be cast per round" followed by "haste does not circumvent this limitation of magical physics" solves the issue. Instead, they've created a wholly different spell and called it by the same name. It's a good spell, mind you, and I'll be having both spells in my game, but I'm not going to pretend it's a "revised version" of the old spell.

DonAdam

Explorer
For haste, the only real problem with it was spell casters. A rule stating "A maximum of one standard and one quickened spell may be cast per round" followed by "haste does not circumvent this limitation of magical physics" solves the issue. Instead, they've created a wholly different spell and called it by the same name. It's a good spell, mind you, and I'll be having both spells in my game, but I'm not going to pretend it's a "revised version" of the old spell.

Actually, it is the old spell. It's the 1E/2E version slightly modified.

3e created the beast now known as haste, so 3.5 is actually going with tradition by putting it back.

Iron_Chef

First Post
Kenzer's Villain Design HB has a spell called "Spell Haste" that lets you cast two spells per round. I nerfed the 10 minutes +1 round/level duration down to 1 round/level and raised it from level 2 to level 3. It's worked well IMC. I never had any version of "regular" haste let you cast two spells per round for some reason.

Ace

Adventurer
SimonMoon5 said:
I won't use:

• Any of the changes I've read about so far.

I am not quite that displeased.

I will use new feats, the "rooted" bonus for Dwarves, some of the Ranger changes, the new Paladin and probably the new spells

I do know I won't be using the "Racial" weapons, the new haste, and the new versions of Spell Focus

Redyak

First Post
I am considering these houserules to 3.5:

- Power attack adds 1.5 damage per - 1 attack bonus with two-handed weapons.

- Stat buff spells have a duration of 10 mins/level, as posted by others.

- I'm not quite sure what to do with Spell Focus.

Other than that, I like what I've seen.

I will play 3.5 as stands before implementing any of these changes, however. Almost none of us have the final copy to compare everything we've heard in context, it's best to try to hold off being overly critical of it until we do.

Remove ads