• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 ShielMaster/Crusader worth for tanking?

emoplato

First Post
Would a full plate work? or a tower shield?
Luka, decide what you want. 2 levels of sorcerer only makes you a bad sorcerer and less of a martial adept. If you would have full plate and tower shield you would incur is 85% in others words 15% chance to cast arcane spells. Clerics do prepare spells but not the way a wizard does. They pray to their god and they grant them the spells they ask for them so long as they don't go against their god and they have one slot for domain spells.
Also remember Luka, AC only works against physical attacks, touch, and ray spells and armor bonus that armor and shield provides normally doesn't protect against the last two. Area effects and point casting do not go against your AC they mostly force you to roll a save which are the three numbers to the left of the class abilities of the level chart.
I ask what you want because then we can't help you and you may likely choose something that doesn't stack with itself making it harder to play. If you want more offense while still having a good amount of health and access to armor a Warblade is much more up your alley.

Luka

First Post
Luka, decide what you want. 2 levels of sorcerer only makes you a bad sorcerer and less of a martial adept. If you would have full plate and tower shield you would incur is 85% in others words 15% chance to cast arcane spells. Clerics do prepare spells but not the way a wizard does. They pray to their god and they grant them the spells they ask for them so long as they don't go against their god and they have one slot for domain spells.

I actually chosen sorcerer for having the nearest thing to "mana" as possible, aside from more spells per day than wizard, just noticed the arcane spell failure-thing so no sorcerer then, and just found out about some "Duskblade" and "Spellsword" Class, still checking out how it works.

Also remember Luka, AC only works against physical attacks, touch, and ray spells and armor bonus that armor and shield provides normally doesn't protect against the last two.

It's also like that in MMORPGs, not exactly doing something diferent to me anyways.

Area effects and point casting do not go against your AC they mostly force you to roll a save which are the three numbers to the left of the class abilities of the level chart.

You told me to get more Cha to pump up the saves and a ring of evasion for reflex, I think that helps at something, doesn't it?

I ask what you want because then we can't help you and you may likely choose something that doesn't stack with itself making it harder to play. If you want more offense while still having a good amount of health and access to armor a Warblade is much more up your alley.

I grabbed the sorcerer multiclassing just to counter random enemies using ranged attacks and getting away (also known as "Kiting", don't even know if that's possible as practical here as in MMORPGs but better safe than sorry), but pretty much want to just tank, that means as much AC as possible, and HP, and getting enemies out of the Party with the maneuvers, but since "kiting" is pretty annoying and common just wanted to be able to counter it with spells. Also being able to get the AC from the Tower Shield and make it more worth with the Shield master PrC.

Last edited:

emoplato

First Post
I actually chosen sorcerer for having the nearest thing to "mana" as possible, aside from more spells per day than wizard, just noticed the arcane spell failure-thing so no sorcerer then, and just found out about some "Duskblade" and "Spellsword" Class, still checking out how it works.

It's also like that in MMORPGs, not exactly doing something diferent to me anyways.

You told me to get more Cha to pump up the saves and a ring of evasion for reflex, I think that helps at something, doesn't it?

I grabbed the sorcerer multiclassing just to counter random enemies using ranged attacks and getting away (also known as "Kiting"), but pretty much want to just tank, that means as much AC as possible, and HP, and getting enemies out of the Party with the maneuvers, but since "kiting" is pretty annoying and common just wanted to be able to counter it with spells. Also being able to get the AC from the Tower Shield and make it more worth with the Shield master PrC.
You really don't fully eliminate arcane spell failure chance you just reduce it or bypass it while only being able to wear lighter stuff. Duskblade is a base class that casts without failure in light armor it also has a limited list of spells to derive spells known and can only cast up to 5th level spells. The Duskblade's specialty is doing a whole bunch of damage with channeled touch spells with moderate hit die. The Spellsword is one of the better arcane fighter dips in that as a move action you can channel any spell with an instantaneous duration(even multiple ones later) and it over its progression can massively reduce arcane spell failure(you could actually have a full plate and a moderate shield). However it only progresses casting on the odd levels. So people dip one level to net channel and take battle caster to cast in light armor. The other prestige class in tome of battle the advances casting and maneuvers is the Jade Phoenix mage. This though it only has d6 hit die. It is a class that sort of specializes in expending spells for other benefits used in conjunction with maneuvers. It also has some free metamagic abilities. Though it is more of a glass cannon than a duskblade, more options and might end up with similar health with the high health martial adept classes but probably less sustainable throughout the day.
Yes, I just wanted to know if you knew about saves you seem stuck on overall AC. If you want over all AC without worrying about interference I beg you to look at divine casting for cleric/crusader/ruby knight vindicator. If you are a dwarf a good finishing touch would be a deepstone sentinel the abilities combined with the right items could bring even more misery if you take the feat combo I mentioned earlier. Lets say you get some crafting and customize a tall piece of armor the deepstone sentinel has a special stance that raises five feet above your adjacent attacks. While they are stuck they can't attack and at also has paswall and an awesome area effect that can be easily optimized.

Luka

First Post
Ok so the Sorcerer multiclass won't cast that much spells, so better don't multiclass it.

The other prestige class in tome of battle the advances casting and maneuvers is the Jade Phoenix mage. This though it only has d6 hit die. It is a class that sort of specializes in expending spells for other benefits used in conjunction with maneuvers. It also has some free metamagic abilities. Though it is more of a glass cannon than a duskblade, more options and might end up with similar health with the high health martial adept classes but probably less sustainable throughout the day.

If I pick it along with the Crusader will it screw it's tanking ability if the PrC is Glass Cannon?

Yes, I just wanted to know if you knew about saves you seem stuck on overall AC. If you want over all AC without worrying about interference I beg you to look at divine casting for cleric/crusader/ruby knight vindicator. If you are a dwarf a good finishing touch would be a deepstone sentinel the abilities combined with the right items could bring even more misery if you take the feat combo I mentioned earlier. Lets say you get some crafting and customize a tall piece of armor the deepstone sentinel has a special stance that raises five feet above your adjacent attacks. While they are stuck they can't attack and at also has paswall and an awesome area effect that can be easily optimized.

Clerics are healers, aren't they? Do they have any Offensive spells (read somethin around about some "Cometfall")?
And just read about the Ruby Knight Vindicator, they can only have Wee Jas as deity (LN with LE tendencies), so there's pretty much a comflict with my planning on mostly NG. So, would a Cleric/Crusader/Shieldmaster work good for it? it would get both tanking (AC and Saves, Tower Shield abilities) and healing.... Possibly a bit too much (Healing maneuvers + Cures and Heal = "Will you ever LOSE HP???!"); do cleric spells need Wisdom to be prepared?

And would really like where can I make builds or something to check how they turn out.

Last edited:

Luka

First Post

Wait wtf? I call for misleading name! all classes I seen around as "Cleric" where just mages with heals and buffs and undead-damaging spells!

Ok I've searched for the spell list there, Still don't see any Offensive Spells there though, only alignment based.

Last edited:

Luka

First Post
Greater Consumptive Field is plenty offensive. It offends people on a daily basis.

....Wat? Sorry if What I just said was offensive if that's what you mean (English's not my native language)

That's an Evil spell, a NG Cleric wouldn't be able to cast it; haven't found the Cometfall thing yet, does anybody know where can I find it?, it would work great for being a threat and grabbing everybody on me.

Dandu

First Post
Off the top of my head, clerics can cast offensive spells such as:
Inflict Light Wounds
Inflict Moderate Wounds
Inflict Serious Wounds
Inflict Critical Wounds
Harm
Searing Light
Flamestrike
Blade Barrier
Ice Axe