• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.5 Spell changes in Dragon

officeronin

First Post
Apok said:
I disagree, I think the changes are for the overall good of the game. Consider this; when the sucess or failure of a combat encounter can hinge on the use of a single spell, then there's probably a problem with the spell.

No, not at all. The wizard has one shot, because he or she can't stand a full round attack from a fighter. If that one shot lands, then it's a win. If not, he probably won't get a second chance. That's balanced. Fighters can do the same thing with disarms and sunders -- the success or failure of a combat hinges on one successful swing. Is there a problem with that, too? Are you trying to argue that D+D should be "d8+2 back and forth until the bad guys die"? How boring.

Nerfing the "save or die" spells means that spellcasters, (especially wizards) are dead meat -- they don't have the ability to stand for rounds 2-15 trading their d4 -1 with the enemy's d8+2.

Version 3.0 claimed to be balanced -- and most people thought it was relatively well done. Now, those same people are claiming that 3.5 is well-balanced. That's absurd. They have nerfed spellcasting, and given casters nothing. They can't both be balanced.

I will adopt a wait and see attitude -- but I will not purchase them until I read someone elses. If the indications from Dragon hold true, I will not purchase them. I find fighters boring, and it doesn't seem like the casters will be viable characters other than as daily use buff items for the fighters.

OfficeRonin

John Crichton

First Post
officeronin said:
No, not at all. The wizard has one shot, because he or she can't stand a full round attack from a fighter. If that one shot lands, then it's a win. If not, he probably won't get a second chance. That's balanced. Fighters can do the same thing with disarms and sunders -- the success or failure of a combat hinges on one successful swing. Is there a problem with that, too? Are you trying to argue that D+D should be "d8+2 back and forth until the bad guys die"? How boring.
That what escape and defense spells are for. Dimension Door, Expedious Retreat and Stoneskin come to mind.

No, not at all. The wizard has one shot, because he or she can't stand a full round attack from a fighter.

Yeah, I think wizards shouldn't be walking around with less hit points than Fireball. Giving them overpowered offense and underpowered defense doesn't balance the class.

Apok

First Post
officeronin said:

No, not at all. The wizard has one shot, because he or she can't stand a full round attack from a fighter. If that one shot lands, then it's a win. If not, he probably won't get a second chance. That's balanced.

That's why you use defensive spells in conjunction with offensive spells. Also, a Wizard who is getting Full-Attacked by a fighter often is either using poor tactics or needs to have a serious chat with his fellow party members. I'd rather the Wizard have to use good spell tactics rather than just rely on his Big Nuker. Keep in mind that spells like Finger of Death and Disintegration aren't being changed in 3.5e (that I know of, anyway) so they are still as dangerous as ever. The proposed changes for Epic Level campaigns is nice because they still have the potential to deal massive damage on a failed save (base 20d6). Personally, I don't like one shot wins because it makes the game terribly predictable.

Fighters can do the same thing with disarms and sunders -- the success or failure of a combat hinges on one successful swing. Is there a problem with that, too?

Not if the DM is at all competant. A sucessfull Disarm basically just causes a delay in the NPC's offense, but it certainly doesn't nullify it and it's not certain death either. Sunder is nastier, but a good NPC should always carry at least one backup weapon. If nothing else, retreat is an acceptable option. Disarm & Sunder aren't combat enders unless the DM wants them to be or doesn't plan ahead.

Are you trying to argue that D+D should be "d8+2 back and forth until the bad guys die"? How boring.

No, I'm not. This statement is an obvious over-exagguration used by you to enhance your argument (rather poorly, I might add). If you are going to counter my points, please don't attribute to me motives that aren't there and don't use idiotic hyperbole. You're better than this. ;)

Nerfing the "save or die" spells means that spellcasters, (especially wizards) are dead meat -- they don't have the ability to stand for rounds 2-15 trading their d4 -1 with the enemy's d8+2.

I disagree. I think that Wizards and other spellcasters will be just as viable in 3.5e as they were in 3.0. Now, however, people will have to actually put some consideration into the spells that they cast rather than just firing off as many Save or Die spells as they possibly can to win. Remember, this is a game of party cooperation. Nobody is expecting the Wizard to be able to survive toe-to-toe with a fighter for any length of time. The idea is to cooperate. The meat shields keep the fighting NPC's occupied while the casters back them up w/ spells.

Version 3.0 claimed to be balanced -- and most people thought it was relatively well done. Now, those same people are claiming that 3.5 is well-balanced. That's absurd. They have nerfed spellcasting, and given casters nothing. They can't both be balanced.

Perception changes with time. 3.0 was balanced because of what we had before (1e and 2e). Now that we have had time to develop new tactics and use the new rules to their maximum effect, we recognize that there are some issues with 3.0 that weren't dealt with. This isn't absurd, this is simple iterative design logic. You create a system which you test and find to be balanced, but no system is bug-proof. Even the most well designed systems can have problems surface after years of extensive use. 3e falls into this category.

In 1e and 2e, things had alot fewer hit points so spells that dealt damage ruled the roost and the idea of casting multiple spells per round would give mages tremendous power. With the coming of 3e, HP levels had been boosted so the old standby damage spells weren't quite as potent and the designers thought that allowing Haste to increase your number of cast spells per round was OK. Now we know that this is, in fact, unbalanced because the more effective tactic is to just use a ton of instakill spells and hope that the odds work against the DM. Certainly an oversight on the part of the 3e designers, but one that was not immediately apparent. We have now recognized this issue and WotC is fixing it by toning down the power of Haste.

I will adopt a wait and see attitude -- but I will not purchase them until I read someone elses. If the indications from Dragon hold true, I will not purchase them. I find fighters boring, and it doesn't seem like the casters will be viable characters other than as daily use buff items for the fighters.

OfficeRonin

That's perfectly fine. I think taking the wait & see approach is a good idea and I hope that when you look closer at 3.5 you will come to see that the streamlining was all for the better. Even if you don't, even if you think 3.5e is the biggest piece of crap to hit the game store shelves since World of Synnibar, that's fine too. You don't have to buy it or use it. Choice; it's a beautiful thing, don't you agree? :)

From my perspective (keep in mind that I don't know all of the 3.5e changes so this is speculation) I think the role of the spellcaster is going to be one of battlefield support, not just in terms of buffing the fighters, but using spells in unique or usefull ways to soften up the enemy or otherwise hinder their ability to fight effectively. Battlefield control is what casters are all about. Sure, the fighters are the core of any fight, but that is how it should be IMO, while the casters give them that extra edge. Perhaps your vision of a spellcaster differs from mine own, and that's cool. I do, however, think that the days of a single wizard wiping out armies or single-handedly taking out a Great Wyrm are behind us and I don't have a problem with it.

hong

WotC's bitch
WizarDru said:

Hmmm. hong, do your casters get any benefits in return for this? I guess this would make metamagic feats more attractive in your game, then, if you've got those 9th level slots with no 9th level spells to put in them.

I mean, geez, d00d.

Given that the party is 7th-8th level at the moment, and probably won't reach 17th-18th for at least another year or so, I'm not too worried. But yeah, most casters get extra feat slots to spend on metamagic 'n stuff.

Besides which, I KNOW I wouldn't beable to resist the temptation myself to do the time stop tango. So I put it out of reach of everybody. :p

Last edited:

Artimoff

First Post
Apok said:
In 1e and 2e, things had alot fewer hit points so spells that dealt damage ruled the roost and the idea of casting multiple spells per round would give mages tremendous power. With the coming of 3e, HP levels had been boosted so the old standby damage spells weren't quite as potent and the designers thought that allowing Haste to increase your number of cast spells per round was OK. Now we know that this is, in fact, unbalanced because the more effective tactic is to just use a ton of instakill spells and hope that the odds work against the DM.

Does the hitpoint bloat effect the spell Hold person? In the old days it held more than one person, now only one. Most people I play with think it's weak. What about Feeblemind? Is that an overpowered spell? It seems insta-kill(tm.) to me.

I just wonder where all the revisions will leed. If I get enough people to complain about Feeblemind will it be "fixed" in edition 3.75? I thought this is what House-rules were for.

officeronin

First Post
Apok said:

No, I'm not. This statement is an obvious over-exagguration used by you to enhance your argument (rather poorly, I might add). If you are going to counter my points, please don't attribute to me motives that aren't there and don't use idiotic hyperbole. You're better than this. ;)

Gosh, I'm really sorry that I so unfairly assigned a motive to your statements, and your winking smiley face really shows me the error of my ways. Oh, wait -- no I'm not. I was correct all along!

Apok said:

Sure, the fighters are the core of any fight, but that is how it should be IMO, while the casters give them that extra edge.

Golly, so it's all about the fighters doing their d8+2 (or d8+4 with the boosts the wizards give them) after all! You do want it to be all about the fighters -- which is why wizards having potent offense (or anyone having a potent offense against the glaring weakness of a fighter, the will save) is so distasteful to you.

Go play Warhammer if that's what your after.

OfficeRonin

WizarDru

Adventurer
Artimoff said:
I just wonder where all the revisions will leed. If I get enough people to complain about Feeblemind will it be "fixed" in edition 3.75? I thought this is what House-rules were for.

Heh. Personally, I've always seen house-rules as either band-aids or style preference with a little bit of hubris thrown in. I don't like using them much, because to me, they're either an indulgence of the DM, or they are there to shore up a system that isn't working too well. If I have to use a lot of house rules to make the game playable, I consider that a fault of the system. If I choose to use house rules to make the system behave differently for a particular reason, that's another issue entirely.

When 1e failed to fulfill our needs back in the day, house-rules filled the gap, but they became as bad as the original problem, and so we left D&D entirely.

Remove ads