3.5 Stat Blocks Kill my creativity

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Akrasia said:
If someone posted a C&C thread in which they complained about the lack of feats and prestige classes, I think it would be entirely appropriate for someone to suggest that they play 3e instead. Indeed, I would make that recommendation myself.

I would not interpret such a suggestion as an 'attack' on C&C (even if it -- gosh! -- appeared in a C&C thread). Rather, such a suggestion seems eminently sensible and appropriate.

More generally, if someone says that they have problem x with a certain game, it seems perfectly fine to me -- indeed, rather helpful -- to point out games that do not have problem x.

In short, I think you are seriously misinterpreting the spirit of the suggestions being made.
Testify!

Oh, sorry 'bout that! :p

two

First Post
I find it incredible

that so many people suggest simply "running NPC's" without statting them out -- at least minimally.

I've done this in the past; my players didn't know the difference some of the time; but things were lost. Like, some flavor in the combat (no statted feats, so, well, can I really justify improved trip on the fly even though it would be completely useful at this precise moment)? Specialized class abilities were underutilized or ignored; interesting synergies left untapped.

And worse yet:

The problem of preparing magic items, and SPELLS.

A completley statted out and well thought-out Wizard 9 or Fighter12 will completley destroy a run of the mill unstatted "off the handle" "fly by night" Wizard9 or Fighter12 every time. Plus make a lot less interesting combat for the PC's (and much less challenging). More thought going into the NPC = a more developed and complicated and deadly NPC. I assure you. More fun to play, more fun to defeat.

Yes, I'm calling out all the GM's who do everything "on the fly." Oh, it might work. It might be fun to some extent. It's not likely, however, that it works as smoothly, nor is AS fun, as if you really statted up the NPC and selected the spells/magic items/etc precisely and with care.

D&D is a huge pain in the rear in this respect. I'm all for simplification. But not statting out a Bard15 or a Barbarian4/Rogue4 or even a Wizard4 is asking for "cookie cutter" syndrome. I.e. none of your NPC's takes or uses cool unusual feats, they seem to use the same spells a lot, they do the same stuff in combat. Players don't want that. It's boring after a while.

I'd good at improv; I can do this, and it comes off ok. When I stat things out, however, and put in the time -- I can do things really great. But is the time worth the effort?

That's the trouble. At high levels of D&D, the answer is no. So I just play mid-and low, where it's not so bad.

Please, don't write in telling me about your incredible improv skills, how you can off-the-cuff figure out the DC of a gnomish illusionist's spell DC every time, or if you can't it doesn't matter nor does his spell list, you just choose a cool spell and you never use the same spell twice, you have every combat feat down by heart, etc.

That's great. You are better, far better than me. You win that argument. Yeah.

For the other 90% or so (being generous) -- we just have to plug away.

Don't tell me it's not to some extent a requirement of D&D, particularly at levels 8+. I personally think you are lying to yourself if you think that. Or your players are relaxed and easy to please (nice when it happens).

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Stat blocks ain't so bad. You just pop open the MM so you have a stat block to reference and get to work. Then again I DMed non stop for nearly 2 years I got pretty good at it.
Also only write stat blocks when ya need to. If you can just use the sample NPC from the DMG then do that (I still use my old 3E DMG for this purpose) not everything needs to be customized.

PS If you don't like all the rules and stuff introduced by splat books then just stick to core rule books.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Ulrick said:
The reasons that I haven't gotten E-tools:
I've considered getting this program. It'd probably make my life a little easier. But when I've looked for it, I can't find it anywhere.

I understand that with a credit card I could buy it online. However, I don't want to buy more "D&D stuff" unless I will use it. I just don't know that much about it. But right now I don't have a credit card. I'm still stinging from when the company of the card I last had got bought out by another company and raised everybody's APR by 8 points. (Tip: Don't get a Fleet and/or Bank of America Card, but that's for discussion elsewhere)

Step #1: Find it here: http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16525&cat=0&page=1

There are other data sets you will want - also available at the site.

Step #2: As for no credit card, I understand. The solution to this is Paypal, which most online gaming sites support.

Paypal used to require a credit card. It does not anymore. You can use Paypal by just setting up a Paypal account and it will access your chequing account to pay. It takes a few days to process and complete their validation check and it's done. No credit card required.

This is what I use and its great. I far prefer it to a credit card online.

two

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
Step #1: Find it here: http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16525&cat=0&page=1

There are other data sets you will want - also available at the site.

Step #2: As for no credit card, I understand. The solution to this is Paypal, which most online gaming sites support.

Paypal used to require a credit card. It does not anymore. You can use Paypal by just setting up a Paypal account and it will access your chequing account to pay. It takes a few days to process and complete their validation check and it's done. No credit card required.

This is what I use and its great. I far prefer it to a credit card online.

Just a friendly note: Please go to paypalsucks.com

paypal is a truly horrible company.

I personally would never have anything to do with paypal, which as we speak is fighting (and losing) more than one US class-action lawsuit.

You have no protection with paypal; it is unregulated (it's not a bank); customer serivice is absymal; etc. Basically, you are putting your money in the hands of an unregulated entity whose business practices have been shown (quite clearly) to be at best shoddy, at worst unthical and indeed felonious.

But, as always, it's up to you.

Dark Jezter

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
It is because for a lot of people there isn't a problem. When you do not see a problem sometimes you cannot understand why other people do. Some of those people who do have a problem with the system start off with what amounts to a troll, Ulrick being a fairly minor and mild example, but he is catching flak because of some of the more obnoxious ones. When people feel that they are being attackled they defend, and, being monkeys, people defend harder than they were attacked. And also being monkeys they will lump the new 'attack' in with the others and respond with that much more force.

The fact that it is often the same people making their complaints over and over does not help their arguments. The fact that when the argument comes up other people then join in on both sides of the argument means that there is less thinking and more emoting taking place. And inevitably someone brings up another system as the perfect answer.

Most of the "D&D is too complicated" rants I see on these forums do come from a small handful of individuals who like to sing the same tune over and over again, but I'm starting to learn that such individuals are best ignored. Thankfully, Ulrick's post is far less inflammatory than some of the other ones I've seen.

If they honestly want to discuss ways to streamline higher-level gameplay, that's fine. But when they start making comments like "3e isn't D&D! It's D20 Fantasy!" or "D&D has lost its soul." it's hard not to view the poster as a troll.

Personally I would find spending $20 on Castles & Crusades a complete waste of money, I do not at all like what I have read about the system, but I do not go to C&C specific threads and tell people 'no, you should play D&D instead', though there are C&C players who do not have the same courtesy, and do go to D&D specific threads to 'spread the good word'. The louder they become the less interested I become. At this point I would not accept C&C as a gift.

Ain't that the truth. It seems to me like whenever someone mentions something that they don't like about 3e, it's only a matter of time before somebody pipes in with "Play castles & crusades! It's so scrumtrulescent I can barely move!"

I know it's not fair to judge a system based on annoying fanboys, but it's getting really hard for me not to cringe whenever I see Castles & Crusades mentioned.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Eh. D&D is a complex game that emphasizes rules over DM winging. And as a Lazy DM, I enjoy that, because it lets me get on with telling a story and not have to worry abuot what kind of die roll I need to use to resolve this -- I can just tell the story.

Others don't like that, no sweat of my back. I don't think D&D is in particular danger of losing market dominance at the moment, so I can have these sweetly simple rules forever. :)

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Dark Jezter said:
Most of the "D&D is too complicated" rants I see on these forums do come from a small handful of individuals who like to sing the same tune over and over again, but I'm starting to learn that such individuals are best ignored. Thankfully, Ulrick's post is far less inflammatory than some of the other ones I've seen.

Well I haven't noticed this phenomenon at all.

Or, more precisely, to the extent that there is any 'concentrated group' that makes this complaint, they seem no more 'concentrated' than those who advocate -- and decry -- "low magic" settings, or "grim-and-gritty" settings, etc.

Likewise, the number of posters who seem to get all "bent out of shape" at the mention of any non-3e game, or that 3e may not be perfect, seems just as limited as the number of posters who express frustration with 3e.

In short: get a grip -- not everyone shares your tastes and/or views.

Dark Jezter said:
If they honestly want to discuss ways to streamline higher-level gameplay, that's fine. But when they start making comments like "3e isn't D&D! It's D20 Fantasy!" or "D&D has lost its soul." it's hard not to view the poster as a troll.

Hmmm ... I trust that you have learned from your past errors and are not attributing any of these claims to me (as you have mistakenly done in the past).

Well, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you are referring to Diaglo here.
;)

Dark Jezter said:
I know it's not fair to judge a system based on annoying fanboys, but it's getting really hard for me not to cringe whenever I see Castles & Crusades mentioned.

Hey, you do realize, DJ, that C&C was designed for this very purpose!

Shout: "C&C!" [Watches DJ try not to cringe with amusement.]
:p

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Breakdaddy said:
Based on just the posts you made in this thread alone, I would say you are a bad target for even polite conversation at this point :/

I somewhat agree, and apologize, stuff from another series of threads is overflowing to here, though there was one poster in this thread who has brought up C&C when it was not particularly appropriate. So I am guilty of what I was mentioning. Bringing up my problems with a system in an inapproriate thread. I was reacting to a poster instead of a post, which is a rude thing to do.

The Auld Grump

Dark Jezter

First Post
Akrasia said:
Well I haven't noticed this phenomenon at all.

Or, more precisely, to the extent that there is any 'concentrated group' that makes this complaint, they seem no more 'concentrated' than those who advocate -- and decry -- "low magic" settings, or "grim-and-gritty" settings, etc.

Likewise, the number of posters who seem to get all "bent out of shape" at the mention of any non-3e game, or that 3e may not be perfect, seems just as limited as the number of posters who express frustration with 3e.

In short: get a grip -- not everyone shares your tastes and/or views.

Hmmm ... I trust that you have learned from your past errors and are not attributing any of these claims to me (as you have mistakenly done in the past).

Well, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you are referring to Diaglo here.
;)

Hey, you do realize, DJ, that C&C was designed for this very purpose!

Shout: "C&C!" [Watches DJ try not to cringe with amusement.]
:p
Get over yourself, Akrasia. I wasn't even talking to you.

Remove ads