• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 (3.5) The Paladin Sucks? Also, how to fix it?

Dandu

First Post
All Cha dependent abilities now depend on Wis.
Smite Evil usable Wis mod # of times per encounter
Paladin Mount gets additional special abilities like a Phantom Steed does.

This still doesn't fix the problem of the Paladin not having much class features beyond 5th level, but it gives you something.

Fajita McJones

First Post
The standard, core Paladin is a great class depending on the environment you're going to play in. People seem to forget the mount. That mounted is a beast, and mounded combat is a killer in melee if you have enough room to be trotting around on a horse. If you're playing a campaign where at least 50% of your combats are going to take place on terrain suitable for mounted combat, the Paladin will shine.

However, being that this is Dungeons and Dragons, that's not always the case, hence the several alternate class features which are usually focused on giving you something cool in exchange for your mount. Charging Smite is the best one in my opinion. It also doesn't expend a smite use if the attack misses. Great stuff.

Also, and I hate to admit this because I love playing single class Fighters so much, but Paladins do have spells, and some really useful ones, and that makes them better and more versatile than any full-BAB class that doesn't have spells. If you're using the Spell Compendium there's some killer combat spells, too.

All that being said, if you want to beef up your Paladin there's a few things I'd recommend. Make smite last until the target is dead. Also, any smite attack should automatically overcome damage reduction. Those are both from Pathfinder and I think they transfer nicely. Also, I never liked the idea of Paladins turning undead, that seems a little too cowardly for a brave knight of everything good. I'd consider beefing up Lay on Hands considerably for more team healing and undead destroying and just get rid of turning altogether (unless you plan on using some of the very nice Divine Feats).

kitcik

Adventurer
that makes them better and more versatile than any full-BAB class that doesn't have spells.

Do you consider maneuvers to be spells? Assuming not, I would put your Paladin against a Warblade. Maybe 2 Paladins against a Warblade.

I suspect that people who say Paladins are fine as is are playing with older (say 35+) players like myself. People who have a history in 1E remember the days when the classes were more balanced and there was a lot less optimization (the latter being the pre-internet days). We tend to continue to play the classes as we did back then, with Wizard types staying mainly in the back and casting direct damage and clerics soaking up attacks and healing people. I think seeing an even somewhat optimized group of Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Sorcerer would be truely eye-opening. In fact, I would like to see it - although I think I am decent at envisioning it.

Fajita McJones

First Post
Do you consider maneuvers to be spells? Assuming not, I would put your Paladin against a Warblade. Maybe 2 Paladins against a Warblade.

I suspect that people who say Paladins are fine as is are playing with older (say 35+) players like myself. People who have a history in 1E remember the days when the classes were more balanced and there was a lot less optimization (the latter being the pre-internet days). We tend to continue to play the classes as we did back then, with Wizard types staying mainly in the back and casting direct damage and clerics soaking up attacks and healing people. I think seeing an even somewhat optimized group of Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Sorcerer would be truely eye-opening. In fact, I would like to see it - although I think I am decent at envisioning it.

It's not that much fun to see. It's to the point now that if anyone who has been playing for more than a year says they're gonna build a Druid I roll my eyes and try to avoid them.

From the POV of a single class Fighter (or any melee class):

Maximized Clerics are fine. They perform somewhat similar to Fighters, sometimes with more powerful attacks if they go "nova", sometimes less powerful if they don't or are low on spells (encounters per day being high can really even the playing field no matter what anyone says). They also get some cool in-combat and pre-combat spells for buffing and damage and if they share a few they're fun to fight alongside with. They don't, however, get to do some of the cool stuff that requires tons of feat chains that Fighters get to do. From a simple melee standpoint they're about even with a Fighter depending on the situation, but from an out of combat usefulness standpoint then yeah they got Fighters beat by a longshot.

Maximized Wizards are cool because they control the battlefield in your favor and chances are they'll throw out Haste or something similar to buff you up and make you do your job better.

Maximized Druids (or any Druids for that matter) are where it gets annoying. I've found most seasoned players who play Druids try to be a single-person-party and the annoying thing is they can actually do that well and they aren't shy about pointing it out to everyone. That's just been my experience interacting with those players, though. Like, their train of thought is almost that of "because I can cause more damage, the Fighter SHOULDN'T be allowed to cause damage at all so I'm gonna do whatever I can to make him look obsolete".

We've really had some bad experiences with Druids in our group. Ugh, the horror. The class is banned almost entirely for seasoned players, and for noob players we limit summoned creatures to one at a time (that goes for any summoning) just because it's :):):):)ing annoying to have the battelfield covered in crap and the summoner taking 30 minutes on his turn in combat.

As for the other question about ToB stances etc. being considered spells... I don't know, they're kinda like spells but I only really know enough about them to know that I don't like them.

Last edited:

Pergentile

Explorer
Gotta love unrealistic and unfounded bias in a discussion.
Complete Home-brew and alternate version fixes aside, has there been any good fixes to Paladin yet?
Liked Dandu's last one because Drakkensteed's are awesome. Any suggestion that boosts a Pally's mount is a good one.

Jhaelen

First Post
The standard, core Paladin is a great class depending on the environment you're going to play in. People seem to forget the mount.
Well, yeah. The mount is usually the first thing you're trying to get rid of when playing a Paladin in a 'typical' campaign.

The Spirit companion (?) alternate class feature in Dungeonscape works a lot better.

The paladin in my group chose the Martial Paladin Variant (from Complete Fighter, I think). Another alternative would be to get the feat from Complete Champion (?) to cast spells as a swift action. At least for npc paladins that was very effective.

Complete Champion also offers quite a few Domain feats that provide nice boosts to Paladins.

All of this makes them playable, but they're still a low tier class.

nonsi256

Explorer
Gotta love unrealistic and unfounded bias in a discussion.
Complete Home-brew and alternate version fixes aside, has there been any good fixes to Paladin yet?
Liked Dandu's last one because Drakkensteed's are awesome. Any suggestion that boosts a Pally's mount is a good one.

Click This and download the attached PDF. In it you'll find one of the better Paladin varsions out there. My only gripe with it is that it's still narrowmindedly restricted to LG.

Icyshadowlord

First Post
Well...I found the links for the PDFs. The sad news is that they do not work anymore. As for the actual description, it looks like some abilities were missing or then they were hidden with some kind of spoiler tags. Either way, I wonder if using an edited Paladin would require you to tweak the Gray Guard prestige class as well? (It's one of my faves)

nonsi256

Explorer
Well...I found the links for the PDFs. The sad news is that they do not work anymore. As for the actual description, it looks like some abilities were missing or then they were hidden with some kind of spoiler tags. Either way, I wonder if using an edited Paladin would require you to tweak the Gray Guard prestige class as well? (It's one of my faves)

To my amazement, I saved the original page before gleemax had corrupted it with their amature archiving.

Have fun.

Attachments

• Rebalanced Paladin.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 137

Remove ads