• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Unusual campaign and situation. need character suggestions

Greenfield

Adventurer
Have you considered sending something distinctly different?

A Pseudo Dragon might be appropriate, particularly if you allow him to gain levels as the party does.

He has BlindSense, Telepathy, and a +20 to Hide. Before advancement.

You can use him as a way to convey information or clues to the PCs, with his Telepathy as an excuse, and with his chameleon ability to become nearly invisible, plus a 60 foot move, he can always be close enough to observe and perhaps render some aid or advice, yet be out of the way when the mayhem begins. Advisor and aerial recon, but definitely not a combatant.

They have average intelligence (10), so playing the Scribe isn't a hard thing. Give him a tiny bag to keep materials in and he's ready, and he fits in well with the Dragon-as-sponsor theme.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
ME
On the Race side, consider something with a ridiculously high Dex adjustment, like the Githzerai...

Forgot- Githzerai also have Inertial Armor, essentially Psionic Mage Armor. Combine that +4AC with their +6 stat adjustment to Dex means they can get VERY nice armor classes in combat.

And that aforementioned Winged Template? The base creature gains a +4 bonus to Dexterity and a +2 bonus to Wisdom...

Last edited:

Ahira Battleaxe

First Post
Excellent ideas, all! I'm definitely not looking for someone who is going to be very capable in combat at all, so the wizard/IotSV is probably not what I'm going to go with, but the Invisible Stalker and the Pseudo Dragon are fantastic! I'm looking for things that have a lot of avoidability (read: can get away easily without taking too much damage, etc) but limited impact on combat, other than maybe a little buffing. a friend recommended the Faerie Dragon from Tome of Horrors, so I might look at that. The Pseudo dragon sounds great though. Archivist is an interesting idea, and one that I might use with the pseudo dragon, or whatever race it becomes.
being a non-humanoid also reduces the problem of the party being able to give it equipment to improve its combat capabilities.
Thanks for the ideas! so much great stuff to use!

Remove ads