• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5] Updating Oriental Adventures

strongbow

First Post
Does anyone know if WOTC is going to do anything for OA? I doubt it, but there *is* a small chance that Baator might freeze over. Furthermore, have any of you OA DMs given any thought about updating the Wu Jen and Shaman spell lists to reflect the new spells?

Mythtify

First Post
I hope that they will have some info in the conversion guide. I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for WoTC to do anything, ever, for OA.
They made a very good book, then seems to of passed it on to AEG.
I must say though, AEG has been putting out good products for OA.
I am sure that they will have some 3.5 stuff soon.

Olive

Explorer
Mythtify said:
I hope that they will have some info in the conversion guide. I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for WoTC to do anything, ever, for OA.
They made a very good book, then seems to of passed it on to AEG.

Hardly surprising given that was the plan all along.

IanB

First Post
There's nothing in the conversion guide for OA. I seem to recall Andy Collins commenting that any 3.5 stuff for OA was in James Wyatt's court.

Ron

Explorer
The current edition of Oriental Adventures is a problem to WotC as it promotes somebody else IP. I can only hope that they sold enough copies to justify a revised edition, similar to what they are doing with the Psionics Handbook, replacing Rogukan info with another setting. I would like to see the Greyhawk version of the orient in the revised book, perhaps incorporing Marsharpa, whereas Kara-Tur could be released in its own book later.

astralpwka

www.khanspress.com
Wizards released epic information for OA, so I think eventually one of their weekly or monthly updates would include OA 3.5 info.

Ranger REG

Explorer
WHO CARES ABOUT ROKUGAN? NOT ME.

Ron said:

The current edition of Oriental Adventures is a problem to WotC as it promotes somebody else IP.
Not really. They can (and should) ignore any material that is Rokugan-specific and concentrate on the more general rules, like the samurai, the shaman, wu jen, skills, feats (sans ancestor feats, unless they can make it less Rokugan-specific), martial arts mastery, etc.

I'd gladly acquore such an update that have non-Rokugan Asian flavor.

Let AEG do their end as publisher of Rokugan products.

Kesh

First Post
honestly, I can't think of much that needs updating. Most of the classes are fine on their own, just swap some skills & feats around to fit 3.5's list. Magic items might need some tweaks for their costs, but that's easy enough to reverse-engineer.

Probably the biggest changes would be in the spells and monsters sections. Spells might need to change levels or schools, and monsters need new CRs, DR and LAs.

hong

WotC's bitch
Some of the prestige classes might also need tweaking. Although with the changes to the 3.5E barbarian, the singh rager is looking a lot less uber than it used to....

Eltor Macnol

First Post
Crab Tattoo

Speaking of OA changes, I was thinking of at least one thing that needs to be revised - the Crab Tattoo from the Tattooed Monk PrC. Originally it gives DR 2/+x, where x is the monk`s Con bonus. The DR increases by 2 points every two TM levels, up to 10/+x at TM level 9.

Now, with the new DR system in 3.5, the most straightforward way to change it would be to make it DR 2/Magic ~ 10/Magic, but... Would it be fair? I mean, what's the use of DR 10/Magic in lvl 16 (where almost everyone has at least a +1 weapon, which counts as Magic for DR bypassing purposes) if, instead of this, he could have SR 24 instead?

Remove ads