• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5e Ranged BAB? Multiple Attacks?

Bathnor

First Post
Hey, I'm just wondering how ranged BAB is calculated in 3.5e? If your BaB goes up enough by your class, do you get multiple shots? I have been playing that a person with a bow could get off one shot because they have to reload the bow. But they got the shot at their highest attack.

Nebten

First Post
There is no difference between melee BAB or ranged BAB. You will gain an addition attack at +6, +11, +16. If you don't have to use an action to noch an arrow if you are using a Long or Short bow. If you are using a Crossbow, then you'll only get 1 shot because you have to reload it, unless you have a repeating crossbow, special powers, feats or magic items that say you can do otherwise.

irdeggman

First Post
BAB (Base Attack Bonus) is based solely on class levels, it does not matter if it is a melee or ranged attack.

See PHB page 6 for how to determine "attack bonuses".

See PHB pg 22 for how to determine BAB.

Basically your

Melee attack bonus is equal to: BAB + Str mod + other bonuses (weapon enhancements, feats, etc)

Ranged attack bonus is equal to: BAB + Dex Mod + other bonuses (weapon enhancement, feats, etc)

Adventurer

First Post
Does only BAB count for number of attacks, or also also attack bonus?

For examply, my BAB is 7 while my dex bonus is +6 and I use a +3 bow. Total this give me a 16 attack with my bow. would this allow me to do 4 attacks (16, 11, 6, 1)

Voadam

Legend
Does only BAB count for number of attacks, or also also attack bonus?

For examply, my BAB is 7 while my dex bonus is +6 and I use a +3 bow. Total this give me a 16 attack with my bow. would this allow me to do 4 attacks (16, 11, 6, 1)

BAB counts for number of iterative attacks in a full attack action and for total attack bonuses.

BAB is the only bonus that counts for determining number of iterative attacks, the dex bonus, magic bonus, bonuses from feats and spells and other sources do not count for number of iterative attacks in a full attack.

So your +7 BAB archer gets two iterative attacks in a full attack action, one at full attack bonus and one at -5, which comes out to +16 and +11.

Other things like haste and rapid shot can also affect the number of attacks and attack bonuses but they do not affect the number of iterative attacks (haste is an extra attack at full attack bonus and rapid shot gives an extra one at top bonus but gives a -2 on every attack that round).

Remove ads