+3 Holy Symbol?

mosaic

Explorer
How come holy symbols never got the whole magic item treatment? And you never find them as traesure. Yet they are so important that every cleric has to have one!

It seems to me that it would be very easy to add without changing any rules. Clerics could add the + to turn checks or any of the other uses of daily devine energy just like a fighter adds the + from her sword.

As far as acquiring/creating, there could be a feat Craft Holy Symbol, or maybe Craft Holy Object. Most clerics would be expected to eventually craft their own or get them from their church [I think it goes without saying that you could only use a holy symbol of your own god]. Searching for lost holy symbols and relics would be great adventure hooks and provide ways to introduce unusual or more powerful holy symbols. You could even have special power choices (like swords have 'Flaming' or 'Icy Burst') that change or enhance the effects of the turn/rebuke - lots of potential for evil clerics - and I can envision a power called 'For the Masses' that would allow non-clerics to turn undead/channel devine energy a certain number of times per day.

As far as slots go, holy symbols usually seemto be necklaces but could take other forms and would take up the appropriate slot. This would actually force clerics to keep track of them! I think this is a branch of the magic-item tree that has a lot of potential.

Last edited:

Shadeus

First Post
Thanee said:
There's one that adds +4 to the check in the DMG, IIRC.

Bye
Thanee

You are thinking of a phylacrety of undead turning, which actually is head gear.

As for the original question, there was a greater holy symbol in the 3.0 Defenders of the Faith that allowed the user to use the empower turning feat. It was a slotless item. Having a holy symbol fill the slot of necklace is foolish because them they cannot use the periapt of Wisdom.

That being said, you are right. It could be make a good treasure to have an adamantine one that is all but sunderproof. I wouldn't have creating one be a separate feat because it's too narrow. Just like Create Ring is narrow. I would encompass it under Create Wonderous Item.

Pickaxe

Explorer
mosaic said:
[I think it goes without saying that you could only use a holy symbol of your own god].

I think this is probably the main stumbling block to adding magic holy symbols as standard treasure. For one thing, most of them will be the holy symbols of your foes, and those that are found as other random treasure will most likely not be of your god.

Still, I agree it has lots of potential, especially as a DM generated kind of thing. Clerics could also go on quests specifically to add power to their holy symbols. Of course, many might say, "Don't clerics get enough already?" On the other hand, especially if the powers are related to turning, I think it could still be a good thing; turning, after all, seems to become less effective at higher levels, so a boost from a holy symbol would help this ability "keep up." Of course, paladins could benefit, as well.

--Axe

P.S. Thanee, can you dig up anything more specific on that symbol in the DMG? Was it listed with the magic items?

kolikeos

First Post
hey, great idea! i'm sure going to add this into my next campiagn and i hope my current dm will too (going to suggest it to him next time i see him). i'm playing a cleric, i'll be glad to take the craft holy symbol feat next level :):)

how comw i never thought of that myself?.....

Garrett843

First Post
I agree I think that that is a really good idea and should in some way be integrated into the 3.5 system whether through books or just the general acceptance of the idea. :D

Vorput

First Post
They'd be cool if they added abilities other than just turning though... turning is too 'meh' a mechanic for me to justify wasting a feat, or gold, on.

Maybe if they just had other powers a necklace could already have... like a + to wisdom...

I need to look into whether holy symbols are always worn around the neck... and if they would therefore counteract a periapt of wisdom... hmm...

Dragonlance has magical holy symbols called medallions of faith.

The Dragonlance Campaign Setting has the basic version that all clerics use and Holy Order of the Stars has the superior version that grants spell-like abilities and bonuses on skill checks.

the Jester

Legend
I have used multiple magic holy symbols over the years. The only one I can find stats on without digging is this:

Holy symbol of Law: A holy symbol of this sort can be fashioned in the form of a holy symbol of any lawful deity. A lawful creature can strongly present it in order to cast magic circle against chaos, dispel chaos, and order’s wrath 1/day each.

Strong abjuration and evocation; CL 17th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, dispel chaos, magic circle against chaos, order’s wrath; Price 81,600 gp.

Remove ads