D&D 5E 3 level dip Warlock

Balfore

Explorer
If I decide to dip 3 levels, for a controller Bard/Warlock, what do you thing the best options, spells and pact would be?

I'll be playing a Zendikar Vampire from the Giovanni Clan.
Our world's supply of "feeding cattle", which is basically humans we use to feed on, is depleted.
My clan keeps our own stock, and we treat them well, and they live within our protection.
There are more savage clans out there, and they have depletes the food supply.
I have been sent, by my clan, to Forgotten Realms through a portal, to find out if there are suitable cattle for stock.
Once I have proven my abilities, and grown in status (status is determined by how many 'nulls' you have), I will be granted power.
the power will come through the family gem that I wear around my neck, which has been in the family for centuries.
It grows stronger based on blood and effort (gaining levels and attaining nulls).

Ok, that said...
I was wanting to take the noble background, and gain a follower.
Then maybe be the charmer/controller type.
So, I thought the Glamour Bard would be very thematic with its control and charms.
At first, I thought a Rogue of some sort, (to get sneak attack with my bite, but the bite is only 1 point of damage), but it wasn't appealing.
Then I thought about Necromancer, but I've done that one twice.
Then, I thought some kind of "noble" paladin, which could work thematically, being a lineage of "proper and proud" vampires.
All the power descriptions can be changed from HOLY to UNHOLY and the flavor would fit thematically as well (easily done with the Pally's ability description)
Then there's SMITE, LoH, INFERNAL CHANNEL (channel divinity), adding CHA to stuff, etc... which would be awesome...
Warlock would also be neat with some of the bonus spells and Pacts...
My group always talks about MIN/MAXing, and that doing a multi-class is a terrible idea because you never reach full potential...and I somewhat agree.
If I only take a low enough dip, in order to get a decent skillset/feature/power...then I don't lose getting a 9th level spell. Which is too good to pass up.
So, My character would control the battlefield with abilities where the enemies can "see or hear" as he utters a word or shoots them a gaze.
(I know Bards use instruments, but that's not how I'm going to play him. His power comes from the gem, instead of an instrument, which is fine by the GM).
He will be starting a black market business for the cattle, and his business front will be as an art dealer in Waterdeep.
...Sorry to be long winded.
I believe the stats are:

Last edited:

Balfore

Explorer
When casting, for instance, Faerie Fire, it says "...save against your Warlock spell DC"...
Would I only calculate that up to a proficiency of +2 once I've reached level 17 of my other class?
Or is the Spell DC calculated as the level of the caster?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
When casting, for instance, Faerie Fire, it says "...save against your Warlock spell DC"...
Would I only calculate that up to a proficiency of +2 once I've reached level 17 of my other class?
Or is the Spell DC calculated as the level of the caster?
Save DC is 8 + spellcasting modifier + proficiency bonus. Proficiency bonus is purely a function of total level, not individual class level. For a multiclass Bard/Warlock, save DCs will be the same for all spells (since Bards and Warlocks both use Charisma).

Balfore

Explorer
Would Warlock be a good 3 level dip, or Pally?
I don't want to lose 9th level magic.
Playing a Glamour Bard, Zendikar Vampire as my race.
More of a controller.
He should be able to control the battlefield or hold the boss until the spares are all dead.
Was also thinking of only dipping 2 levels of Diviner (instead of another class) to get the Portent ability. That would help on making the Charms stick to the baddies.
...thoughts?

Balfore

Explorer
Also, what about casting a spell at higher levels, can I cast, say...a 1st level Warlock spell, at a higher level using a Bard slot?

neogod22

Explorer
You use the multiclass rules for spell casting. Profiency and Cantrips go off total, level, not class level. But everything else will go, off your class levels

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Balfore

Explorer
You use the multiclass rules for spell casting. Profiency and Cantrips go off total, level, not class level. But everything else will go, off your class levels

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
So I couldn't use a 5th level Bard slot to cast a 1st level Warlock spell at a higher level?

Fuchi Miller

Explorer
So I couldn't use a 5th level Bard slot to cast a 1st level Warlock spell at a higher level?

In the multiclass section of the pub you can find an article saying : "Pact Magic. If you have both the Spellcasting class feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you can use the spell slots you gain from the Spellcasting class feature to cast warlock spells you know."

So yes you can use your 5th slot to cast a warlock spell

ccs

41st lv DM
If I decide to dip 3 levels, for a controller Bard/Warlock, what do you thing the best options, spells and pact would be?

I think you should tell us about your character. Because the "best" options are those that help you make a memorable character. Your character =/= just the stats & powers you choose (though those are certainly part of it).

So tell us a story & let's see what suggests itself.
Who are you? What are you? Where are you from? What's your background? Why are you a Bard? Why/How will you become a Warlock? Why are you an adventurer? What's your character want?

Remove ads