D&D 5E 3 level dip Warlock

Fuchi Miller

Explorer
Doing a 3 lv dip I recommend Great Old One patron. The at will telepathy can be useful and helps those spells that require the creature needing to hear you. Take eldritch blast Cantrip for many reasons but the reason you want it is because you're going to take the invocation repelling blast. And for your second invocation i recommend book of ancient secrets cause getting all rituals is amazing. But that means your boon will have to bw pact of the tome. And Cantrip you want cause you totally need more. As for spells ill look at them in a bit

Balfore

Explorer
Apologies...
I'll be playing a Zendikar Vampire from the Giovanni Clan.
Our world's supply of "feeding cattle", which is basically humans we use to feed on, is depleted.
My clan keeps our own stock, and we treat them well, and they live within our protection.
There are more savage clans out there, and they have depletes the food supply.
I have been sent, by my clan, to Forgotten Realms through a portal, to find out if there are suitable cattle for stock.
Once I have proven my abilities, and grown in status (status is determined by how many 'nulls' you have), I will be granted power.
the power will come through the family gem that I wear around my neck, which has been in the family for centuries.
It grows stronger based on blood and effort (gaining levels and attaining nulls).

Ok, that said...
I was wanting to take the noble background, and gain a follower.
Then maybe be the charmer/controller type.
So, I thought the Glamour Bard would be very thematic with its control and charms.
At first, I thought a Rogue of some sort, (to get sneak attack with my bite, but the bite is only 1 point of damage), but it wasn't appealing.
Then I thought about Necromancer, but I've done that one twice.
Then, I thought some kind of "noble" paladin, which could work thematically, being a lineage of "proper and proud" vampires.
All the power descriptions can be changed from HOLY to UNHOLY and the flavor would fit thematically as well (easily done with the Pally's ability description)
Then there's SMITE, LoH, INFERNAL CHANNEL (channel divinity), adding CHA to stuff, etc... which would be awesome...
Warlock would also be neat with some of the bonus spells and Pacts...
My group always talks about MIN/MAXing, and that doing a multi-class is a terrible idea because you never reach full potential...and I somewhat agree.
If I only take a low enough dip, in order to get a decent skillset/feature/power...then I don't lose getting a 9th level spell. Which is too good to pass up.
So, My character would control the battlefield with abilities where the enemies can "see or hear" as he utters a word or shoots them a gaze.
(I know Bards use instruments, but that's not how I'm going to play him. His power comes from the gem, instead of an instrument, which is fine by the GM).
He will be starting a black market business for the cattle, and his business front will be as an art dealer in Waterdeep.
...Sorry to be long winded.
I believe the stats are:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mellored

Legend
Also, what about casting a spell at higher levels, can I cast, say...a 1st level Warlock spell, at a higher level using a Bard slot?
Yes. Any slot can cast any spell of that level or lower.
DC is always 8+proficency+casting stat. Proficency scales by total level.
Cantrips scale by total level.

It's the spells known that are locked with the class level. So you need to be bard/warlock 5 to know bard/warlock level 3 spells.

Balfore

Explorer
I think you should tell us about your character. Because the "best" options are those that help you make a memorable character. Your character =/= just the stats & powers you choose (though those are certainly part of it).

So tell us a story & let's see what suggests itself.
Who are you? What are you? Where are you from? What's your background? Why are you a Bard? Why/How will you become a Warlock? Why are you an adventurer? What's your character want?
Sent backstory

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

neogod22

Explorer
Doing a 3 lv dip I recommend Great Old One patron. The at will telepathy can be useful and helps those spells that require the creature needing to hear you. Take eldritch blast Cantrip for many reasons but the reason you want it is because you're going to take the invocation repelling blast. And for your second invocation i recommend book of ancient secrets cause getting all rituals is amazing. But that means your boon will have to bw pact of the tome. And Cantrip you want cause you totally need more. As for spells ill look at them in a bit
This is wrong. You can only use telepathy if you are within 30' of the target, at which point they will be able to hear you anyway. As far as u understanding goes, it would be up to his DM to see if he would be able to cast a spell and use telepathy at the same time. The fey pact ability is much better since it can hit multiple people.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Fuchi Miller

Explorer
This is wrong. You can only use telepathy if you are within 30' of the target, at which point they will be able to hear you anyway. As far as u understanding goes, it would be up to his DM to see if he would be able to cast a spell and use telepathy at the same time. The fey pact ability is much better since it can hit multiple people.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Sure they could hear you anyways but what if you want to do secret talk or secret seducing? Maybe the guy wants to be invisible and talk to the guard without breaking stealth. And although yes you can hit multiple people with the fey pact, its within a 10 ft cube originating from you. Also its once per short rest while telepathy is on always. And sure being able to cast the spell and telepathy at the same time is up to dm. Imagine the fear one could put into a person by casting darkness around them and a voice enters their mind. Or casting silence during an interrogation and the man can even hear his screams just the fangs of a vampire and their laughter in his head

Remove ads