• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

30th Level Adventure in the next DUNGEON mag!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Aethelstan said:
My problem with epic levels is the sheer volume of work it takes as a DM to prep a 20+ level adventure. A stat block on a 22nd level wizard can take forever to do. Also issues of encounter balance become ever more difficult.

This is exactly my problem. I prefer to use pre-published adventures (thank you Shackled City!), and having them end at 20th level is, quite honestly, a drag, since then it takes a very long time to properly plan out an epic adventure. I know Dungeon promised us one epic level adventure a year, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few more.

RuminDange

First Post
Aethelstan said:
My problem with epic levels is the sheer volume of work it takes as a DM to prep a 20+ level adventure. A stat block on a 22nd level wizard can take forever to do. Also issues of encounter balance become ever more difficult.

Couldn't agree more. Takes me about 3 days to generate a good 30+ level NPC from start to finish. Especially a spellcaster.

Or course the more I have made up, the more I have to modify and reintroduce later. :D

RD

Anson Caralya

First Post
Author of "The Quicksilver Hourglass" here.

No argument there. It took me months to stat-up the encounters, and James Jacobs may very well have been driven mad checking and tweaking them.

Regarding encounter balance, the adventure follows the CR & EL guidelines... for the most part. I would certainly give it a good review with your player's capabilities in mind before running it as-is. That goes for any adventure, of course, but I think it's especially true at epic levels. There is a larger-than-usual "Scaling the Adventure" sidebar to assist with this.

(Skip this part if you're not in a sentimental mood.) I've been reading these boards for years, and I've been working on this adventure for nearly as long. To see the adventure being discussed here before it even appears is one great feeling. :p I'm not a regular poster, though, so please excuse any message board etiquette gaffs.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I'm glad I just sent out a subscription card yesterday! One of my groups is rapidly approaching 30th level, I'm going to need that adventure.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Well, the last Dungeon was sold out repeatedly at my FLGS, so maybe I can get a copy of this one...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads