• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3E & 4E Love and Hate Polls - What does it mean?

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Pop-vs-Soda-US-Map.gif

... what? Oh, sorry. That was a reflexive action. I always post that when someone is speaking about soda. :angel:

Stoat

Adventurer
Interesting.

Union County, NC, where I grew up, is only 30-50% Coke, while Mecklenburg County, which is more urban and has more transplants from outside the south, is 50-80% Coke.

I would've guessed it would go the other way.

And yeah, where I'm from Dr Pepper, Mountain Dew, Sundrop and Cheerwine are all "Coke". IMO, the best Coke is NuGrape.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I love that map! (Used to use it has a desktop. Briefly. It makes a horrible desktop.)

I'm always most intrigued by the little bright green spots in the heart of regions that strongly favor one term or another.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Could th4e mods please lock this thre4ad? It is way way off topic and has been for pages.
*Shrug* It is accomplishing more off topic than it was with everybody, myself included, repeating themselves ad nauseam.

*Shudder* Mountain Dew.... One of the few sodas to contain brominated vegetable shortening....

The Auld Grump
*EDIT* Re: the map - I have encountered a few places in Northern Maine and in Appalachia that use the word 'beer' for soda. I suspect that this is a result of linguistic isolation, as the term survives in the vernacular as Root Beer, Birch Beer, Ginger Beer (and Ginger Ale for that matter).... Now I want to brew some ginger beer, hopefully this time it won't explode. :p

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, 'pop' seems a lot more common than I thought, but then, I live in 'soda' country.

And I have temporarily chickened out of homebrewing some ginger beer (they didn't have any ginger root at the supermarket... and it was too chilly to go to a specialty store.)

The Auld Grump

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Could th4e mods please lock this thre4ad? It is way way off topic and has been for pages.

You would probably get a better response if you reported it as being off topic... (Yes, I'm a mod, the one you've probably never seen before, but not for this section of ENworld.)

Soft drink discussion aside (I'm either a coke or a pop person. My mom was from the south so I inherited the 'coke' from her... I've sort of grown out of it.) I'm glad I found this thread to be rather interesting...

I'm trying to make a 4th edition character for the first time in about a year and my preconceived notions of what I should be able to do is making the 4th edition rules unbearable. I would really like to try the system but I just cannot get past how constrained everything feels. (Been playing since AD&D and have enjoyed the freedom enjoyed in each version till it went, sadly, missing in 4th edition.)

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
.... Now I want to brew some ginger beer, hopefully this time it won't explode. :p
And I have temporarily chickened out of homebrewing some ginger beer (they didn't have any ginger root at the supermarket... and it was too chilly to go to a specialty store.)

Aww, that's too bad. I was kinda hoping you'd share your experiences on this... or at least let us know how you roll on the "Mishaps" table :heh:

"Auld Grump, what happened to your eyebrows??"

Remove ads