• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3rd Edition Planar Books?

Dav

First Post
I'm searching for all the 3rd or 3.5 edition D&D books dealing with planes or otherwise plane-focused as I can (aside from minor mentions of the planes in Eberron and FR books, and disregarding books on deities & pantheons).

I've the following list:
  • WotC's Manual of the Planes
  • WotC's Planar Handbook
  • FFG's Portals & Planes
  • Green Ronin's Aasimar & Tiefling
  • Malhavoc's Beyond Countless Doorways
  • Malhavoc's Complete Book of Eldritch Might (the bit on the Nexus)
Are there any other books that other companies have produced? I'm really looking for 3/3.5e books that discuss running planar games in general, but I'll take what I can get...

Thanks for any help!

Are you willing to consider PDF products? I've got a couple out through the Lion's Den imprint? Don't want to come across as pimping my stuff too hard, so I won't provide links until/unless you express an interest.

None of them are on running planar games in general, but I've got one that details a whole lot of planar factions/organizations, one that details a new base class called the planar mage (along with a bunch of new spells), and a third--written by Mike Gill--on planar magic items.

Azalnubizar

Explorer
there are a few books out there

Moongoose Publishing:
- Book of the Planes
- Gehenna
- Feuerring - Ring of Fire
- Zahhak - Sourcebook for 28th layer of the Abyss

Ronin Arts:
- A DM's Directory of Demiplanes

Fantasy Flight Games:
- Portals & Planes

Of these I only own the Feuerring, which I cannot really recommend since for once it doesn't really work 100% with the given cosmology (I think it is detailing a "new" layer of hell, but since there aren't infinite hell-layers this is a bit strange) and I wasn't able to use this book at all - therefore I was a bit disappointed.

you should try to read the reviews provided for these books before deciding if you want to buy it. I believe a few of them got pretty good reviews...

... well and of course there is

The Book of Fiends (Green Ronin) which is excelent IMO (I own Armies of the Abyss and Legions of Hell which are together in Book of Fiends and 3.5). It details very many Batezu & Tanari and even the neutral ones (forgot their name). Since they are probably quite common throughout the planes these are very nice additions to any monster manual.

and (as u can see in other threats in here) there is much discussed WotCs "Hordes of the Abyss" which should detail a lot of planes of the abyss...

hope this was a bit of help :)

Dav

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Are you willing to consider PDF products? I've got a couple out through the Lion's Den imprint? Don't want to come across as pimping my stuff too hard, so I won't provide links until/unless you express an interest.
By all means--I'd love to hear about them!

Psion

Adventurer
Dav said:
I'm searching for all the 3rd or 3.5 edition D&D books dealing with planes or otherwise plane-focused as I can (aside from minor mentions of the planes in Eberron and FR books, and disregarding books on deities & pantheons).

I've the following list:
  • WotC's Manual of the Planes
  • WotC's Planar Handbook
  • FFG's Portals & Planes
  • Green Ronin's Aasimar & Tiefling
  • Malhavoc's Beyond Countless Doorways
  • Malhavoc's Complete Book of Eldritch Might (the bit on the Nexus)
Are there any other books that other companies have produced? I'm really looking for 3/3.5e books that discuss running planar games in general, but I'll take what I can get...

Thanks for any help!

Go to the EN Game store (see the banner across the top of the page) and search for "planes" and "planar". Ronin Arts and Lion's Den Press put out a few nifty litte products, some of which have already been mentioned.

I run a regular planar game (well was running, my group moved :( , so until I acquire a new group...) using the river of worlds concept in Portals & Planes. In addition to the books you list, I use:
  • Mongoose's Classic Play: Book of the Planes - lots of cool planes and adventure seeds, and some nifty little factions.
  • Ronin Arts' DMs Directory of Demiplanes - More nifty little planes. I got a hardcopy, but it's principally a PDF product (link); if you want a hardcopy, you might check the ronin arts website to see if he has any more.
  • Ronin Arts' / Lion's Den Press' Planar Factions (link)- One of the ones Ari alluded to. I don't use all the factions, but about half of them.
  • Ronin Arts also has some smaller PDFs that are useful for garnish: A Dozen Planar Traits, A Dozen Planar Gates and Storms, Six Planar Gates, and Six Living Planar Gates (this one's a bit strange... nice to catch your players off guard...).
  • Green Ronin's Book of Fiends - PDF and print, an awesomely creative resource on fiends that plan wanderers might run afoul.

A few others I don't see listed yet but I don't use:
  • Mongoose's Book of Hell - I like the existing 3e Metasetting Hell/Baator better.
  • Ronin Arts / RDP's Planetouched Feats Vol I (link)

Voadam

Legend
The EN Critters line has a demonic sourcebook with its own demi-plane as a background I believe. (I got it when it was half off but haven't gone through it yet).

Scarred Lands has its own planar book Edge of Inifinity http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catal...ath=47_63&products_id=3288&affiliate_id=17596

Everquest RPG is not quite 3e/3.5 but has a book called plane of hate detailing one plane http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catal...ath=47_65&products_id=1585&affiliate_id=17596

and WoW has a planar book Shadows and Light with a bunch of stuff http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catal...h=153_260&products_id=1611&affiliate_id=17596

I believe the product spotlight for WotC's recent FC I refers to some plane stuff as well in that book.

Dav

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Might I ask about the meaning or purpose of "planar factions"? Is this a reference to Planescape?

Personally, I'm not fond of the standard D&D cosmology--I prefer something like Beyond Countless Doorways, where planes are more "random," with no alignment-based planes, where each plane is a new world sort of thing. Like parallel worlds, I suppose, a la "Sliders," but also like Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy and all. BCD is a good example of what I like about my planes. ;)

So while I don't mind books about fiends of any sort, adventures to Hell or the Abyss don't appeal to me as much as interplanar pirates, worlds ruled by lizardfolk or insectoids, or worlds set in a dead god's body. :D

On another note (hopefully not derailing my own thread), are most people's conceptions of planar adventures involve fiends or Sigil/Planescape? Planescape was before my time (I've only started playing D&D in late 3e), but I'm not sure I see the appeal of planar factions? Of course, I'm planning to use the "Purveyors of Dichotomy" idea from BCD, so perhaps that's similar . . .

Planar Factions doesn't refer to anything Planescape-specific. It's simply a product of a number of organizations that operate across multiple planes, and take full advantage of their ability to do so. Some are suitable as enemies of the PCs, some as allies, and some as both.

All the Lion's Den stuff, including all three planar books, can be linked to from here: http://www.rpgnow.com/default.php?manufacturers_id=352&filter_id=1575&

If you have any further specific questions, I'm happy to address them. :)

Remove ads