• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3rd Level Paladin

I am creating a 3rd Level Paladin for a new campaign set in the Forgotten Realms coming from Waterdeep. We do get to pick one item from the equipment listed in the campaign setting for Waterdeep.

I am looking at fighting with a longsword and shield. We are allowed to spend upto half on one item. We are playing using 3rd Edition rules,

Any advice on what type of equipment i should take would be useful. It looks like the campaign might be based underground.

My Dex is 14.

Thanee

First Post
At 3rd level, I would get a masterwork weapon and +1 full plate, +1 heavy shield, if you can afford that (not entirely sure about the wealth levels and can't check here).

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
He can't afford both (2700gp). The +1 full plate would be 2650 itself. With MW full plate at 1650 (or non-MW at 1500), he can't even afford it, but you could try to sway your DM on that issue. You could barely afford full plate and a +1 shield.

Thanee

First Post
Hmm... then maybe a masterwork longsword, standard fullplate and heavy shield for now.
A wand of cure light wounds should also fit in then.

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
Well, standard full plate is still more than half, so you'd have to get your DM to budge a little bit. Maybe a masterwork mithril chain shirt (1250), masterwork light steel shield (159), masterwork longsword (315), wand of cure light wounds (750), and then the rest of your equipment (only 26 left!).

Thanee

First Post
Oops! Right... full plate is out then.

I'd probably just go chainmail and +1 heavy shield instead then.

Bye
Thanee

My choice of free equipment can be either a masterwork longsword or 300gp

I would like to maximize my armor class because at the moment the rest of the party is a rogue ( looks like he will favor spring attack or using his hand crosssbow ), a rogue/cleric ( think Indiana Jones ) and probably a wizard of some sorts. ( player not sure if he is joining ).

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
I didn't catch the point about free equipment. That wasn't evident. No matter, definitely take the masterwork longsword, perhaps having it engraved with some personal symbols and such. You can then eventually get it enhanced by a party member or some other spellcaster (depending on campaign, etc.). That gives you more than enough to buy the equipment I suggested, perhaps the heavy shield instead of the light shield (choose wisely though as there are significant differences), or perhaps a few other things like some feather tokens or special stuff like vials of holy water, tanglefoot bags, etc. If you're human, then you might want some sunrods or perhaps get an item with continual flame cast on it (should be under 100gp).

Infiniti2000

First Post
DevlinStormweaver said:
I would like to maximize my armor class . . .
Then definitely the +1 heavy shield and either chainmail or breast plate. Eventually though, you'd want something like mithril full plate. :)

Thanee

First Post
If you don't pick up a wand, +1 chainmail and +1 heavy shield probably give the best AC benefit, though I would surely drop one '+1' and take the wand instead. :)

@Infiniti2000: Why mithril chain shirt? Isn't that pretty much pointless for a paladin?

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads