• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3rd Party Classes - Wish List

AZRogue

First Post
Since the GSL seems to allow new Classes to be created, as per the compilation put up by Morrus HERE, what Classes would you most want to see right away? Which Classes do you want access to in your games, either for PCs or for prominent NPCs? Your wish list does not need to limit itself to 3E Classes but could be any Class that you have a strong desire for.

For instance, the Classes I'd most like to see would be:

Monk
Barbarian
Bard
Assassin
Necromancer
Bladesinger
Eldritch Knight
Cavalier
Elementalist

I'd like the Monk to have two paths--one making him primarily a Striker and the other for grappling/Aikido that makes him more of a Controller (hybrid Class).

The Bladesinger I would make into an Arcane striker, I think, since the Swordmage will be the Arcane Defender (along with the Eldritch Knight, but maybe done in a different way). Elementalist I see as an Arcane Striker as well, with Necromancer being another Arcane Controller. I'm deliberately using the three Power sources we know of now instead of using the Powers that will be released in the future, just to imagine how they would be presented under the umbrella we will have at launch. With Powers and paths, each Class could be made to operate in different ways even though they are filling the same role and using the same source.

The way powers and paths are set up I think there's a lot of potential to new Classes and they can really be distinct in feel and approach. There seems to be as much wriggle room with Class creation as we seem to have with Monster creation and I'm eagerly anticipating those Classes making a comeback until WotC can release their own, core, versions.

Oh, and I'd prefer if we don't sideline this into a GSL vs. OGL debate as we have enough of those at the moment. :) I'm just genuinely curious as to the Classes people would want right away and any input you might have on how they should be handled.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
AZRogue said:
Since the GSL seems to allow new Classes to be created, as per the compilation put up by Morrus HERE, what Classes would you most want to see right away? Which Classes do you want access to in your games, either for PCs or for prominent NPCs? Your wish list does not need to limit itself to 3E Classes but could be any Class that you have a strong desire for.
I would like to see a whole third-party book dedicated to far-east, wuxia-type classes. The monk would be the first obvious choice, but I would also like it to contain a good ninja, samurai, kensai, wu-gen, and shaolin.

I would also like to see a whole third-party book dedicated to druids and other "wild" spellcasters. I would like to see a shaper druid, a summoner druid, a fey druid, an elemental druid, and a weather druid, for example...each as stand-alone classes, not merely a variant of one big vanilla "druid" stereotype.

thundershot

Adventurer
I would prefer 3rd parties steer clear of things like Barbarian, Druid, and Bard, since they've been confirmed already for PHB2.

Chris

Kunimatyu

First Post
I'll second the desire for a series of wuxia-style classes using the Ki power source. The basic system of powers works really really well for this genre of combat, and from the looks of it, an official "Oriental Adventures" will be quite a ways away.

Montkiva

First Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the new GSL didn't permit third-party publishers to create new classes. If you look at that thread compilation, it says:

"Mandatory Restrictions:
No Covered Product may contain rules or instructions of any kind that:
• Describe a process for Creating a Character."

That seems like TPP might not be able to write new classes. That would be dumb of Wizards to allow them to, because they surely don't want other publishers coming out with different versions of the Bard, for example.

Montkiva said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the new GSL didn't permit third-party publishers to create new classes. If you look at that thread compilation, it says:

"Mandatory Restrictions:
No Covered Product may contain rules or instructions of any kind that:
• Describe a process for Creating a Character."

That seems like TPP might not be able to write new classes. That would be dumb of Wizards to allow them to, because they surely don't want other publishers coming out with different versions of the Bard, for example.
You did miss something.

Class and race creation is consider something completely different from character creation.

Rechan

Adventurer
Since you said wish list, these are classes I WISH would come out, but I know probably never will:

Shaman (Spirit based, possibly totems/kami/whathaveyou).

Witch (Divination, weather control, curses; a Controller/Leader cross).

Alchemist.

Transmuter. A real "Change x to y" or "Mix X and Y together" style class, the Magical Mad Scientist. Possibly someone who could steal monster's abilities (but not exactly that; his powers could just MIMIC the same sort of end result).

Psychic (Medium; speaker to the dead, manipulator of incorporeal entities, outsiders. Not sure what else, but I just LIKE this archetype).

Mastermind (Someone whose "shtick" is that he has several cohorts that he makes deals with. Think of "Planar Ally" but more expansive.)

Non-Kung Fu related unarmed fighter.

Priest (Divine Controller, focusing on spellcasting, warding, with some nice tricks dealing with undead/demons/etc).

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Hmm... I would like to see:

-Beguiler
-Swashbuckler
-Gunslinger (dual revolver style)
-Brawler
-Assassin
-Wand Duelist (could maybe fit into Artificer, but a guy who uses two wands and has no magical abilities, but simply procures lots of wands and uses them similar to guns).
-Witch
-Also Psychic as well, I would love to also see a class that controls various kinds of ghosts.

Only ones that come to mind, that may not be in PHB2 (though there is a chance Beguiler and Assassin may be).

Kunimatyu

First Post
A Summoner/Binder class would be awesome.

He'd have a few abilities that let him summon aspects of various monsters for one round (ie. summon a Spined Devil to have it do its Spine Rain), and then daily abilities where he goes ethereal, transfers lifeforce to a vestige or the like, and becomes a supernatural creature with a few unique abilities.

Remove ads