• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 4/26 Playtest: The Fighter

Chaosmancer

Legend
If you don't see how you can have different abilities that are roughly equally powerful, then I don't have any clue how to begin explaining THAT to YOU. 🤷‍♂️

Well, we can start with that being basically exactly what I was asking for, and move on from there.

Oohhhh! You didn't understand that they were including the fact that more feats could be created to raise the fighter up when they suggested feats being an option. Got it. That makes more sense now. I thought you understood what was being said. If you had, then you what you typed out would have meant that they couldn't possibly make a feat to make fighters stronger. My bad.

No, I understood what they were saying. They were saying you could make more feats that would raise the fighter up. I was pointing out that they could... but that they never have. Past performance being a good indicator of future performance? No feat like what they are talking about currently exists, and there isn't a lot of evidence that they will make them. They could, but we may have better luck having them give improved class features, instead of hoping they make feats of that power.

I just want to return to an idea that will probably get ignored again.

Why not give the Fighter options at 2nd, 7th, 9th, and 13th levels as like a second subclass? In this case, I mean

• Warlord options (giving people attacks, putting riders on those attacks, etc)
  • Juggernaut options (more ways to overcome conditions, empowered when effected by conditions)
  • Weapon master options (make it so eventually you can use all weapon masteries)
  • Single-weapon masters (make it so you can use additional weapon masteries with an off-brand weapon)

And then give the FIghter its first Epic Boon at 17th level, cementing how epic the fighter should be to be at this level.

YOu could do this without adding more complexity, and could combine some of the options above too, but it would add really all the nuance the 1D&D fighter needs to be a 10/10 class imo.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I just want to return to an idea that will probably get ignored again.

Why not give the Fighter options at 2nd, 7th, 9th, and 13th levels as like a second subclass? In this case, I mean

• Warlord options (giving people attacks, putting riders on those attacks, etc)
  • Juggernaut options (more ways to overcome conditions, empowered when effected by conditions)
  • Weapon master options (make it so eventually you can use all weapon masteries)
  • Single-weapon masters (make it so you can use additional weapon masteries with an off-brand weapon)

And then give the FIghter its first Epic Boon at 17th level, cementing how epic the fighter should be to be at this level.

YOu could do this without adding more complexity, and could combine some of the options above too, but it would add really all the nuance the 1D&D fighter needs to be a 10/10 class imo.

Hmm... I don't know if I would phrase it as a second subclass, but I could see doing something like the Warlock Boons or the Cleric's Holy Order, where you could pick some options to focus yourself a little more as a leader archetype, a juggernaut archetype, or a reaver archetype.

The trick would be figuring out non-combat ways to showcase things like the Juggernaut or the Reaver. Meanwhile, I could see some fun combat applications, like letting the Juggernaut act as cover for allies, or the reaver getting a fear affect against an enemy near a target they attacked.

I'm actually thinking these WOULDN'T apply to low-level fighters, kind of an inverse of the usual set-up. Instead, these would be options for fighters level 9 and up, who have started reaching those high heights. Maybe just 7th, 9th and 13th, and 17th. It leaves you a bit weaker in the beginning, but the low-level fighter feels like the sort who is still trying to reach those specializations.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, I understood what they were saying. They were saying you could make more feats that would raise the fighter up. I was pointing out that they could... but that they never have. Past performance being a good indicator of future performance?
No it's not. If it were we wouldn't be talking about 5.5e, or seen 5e, or 4e or 3.5e. They would have made 3e and then not done anything different in future performance. Hell, they've changed a number of things already and we aren't even at 5.5e.
No feat like what they are talking about currently exists, and there isn't a lot of evidence that they will make them. They could, but we may have better luck having them give improved class features, instead of hoping they make feats of that power.
They're as likely to make super feats for the fighter as they are super abilities for the fighter. So far they've done some moderate changes, but have shown no indication in this playtest that anything major is going to happen.

That's why I'm okay with feats, abilities or both. Since both are just as likely, and just as helpful to the fighter, there's literally no reason for me to pick one over the other.

Chaosmancer

Legend
No it's not. If it were we wouldn't be talking about 5.5e, or seen 5e, or 4e or 3.5e. They would have made 3e and then not done anything different in future performance. Hell, they've changed a number of things already and we aren't even at 5.5e.

Then you can pin your hopes on the feats being made. I will look for class features.

They're as likely to make super feats for the fighter as they are super abilities for the fighter. So far they've done some moderate changes, but have shown no indication in this playtest that anything major is going to happen.

That's why I'm okay with feats, abilities or both. Since both are just as likely, and just as helpful to the fighter, there's literally no reason for me to pick one over the other.

There are reasons I think class abilities are a better route than feats, but I've no interest in butting heads with you over this.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Then you can pin your hopes on the feats being made. I will look for class features.

There are reasons I think class abilities are a better route than feats, but I've no interest in butting heads with you over this.
Fair enough. I think we're both going to be disappointed, though. They can't do anything more than minor to moderate changes or they lose any resemblance of backwards compatibility.

Stalker0

Legend
One idea I could see, is to let the fighter take an epic boon at 17th level. That gives them some high level juice, and let’s the player choose the narrative.

If you want your fight more grounded, pick something like overwhelming offense. If you want something more mystical like Thor, you could get something like energy resistance.

What’s nice about this is it’s easy, as the mechanic already exists, and now every table can decide the level of groundedness for the fighter

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
One idea I could see, is to let the fighter take an epic boon at 17th level. That gives them some high level juice, and let’s the player choose the narrative.

If you want your fight more grounded, pick something like overwhelming offense. If you want something more mystical like Thor, you could get something like energy resistance.

What’s nice about this is it’s easy, as the mechanic already exists, and now every table can decide the level of groundedness for the fighter
I'd go as far as making it a 11th level feature!

I mean, at 11th level, casters start throwing 6th level spells, I dont think martials reaching as modicum of epicness at that level would be gamebreaking.

Suggested this thing a couple times and got ignored, but I agree! And making it at 13th too would be dope IMO.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads