• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 4/26 Playtest: The Sorceror

EDIT: And JC said in YT video that spell is for sorcerer into "arcade mod", but spamming one cantrip over and over for 4 round just pathetic.
Note that the above post about cantrips was about the difference between the base use (4 full damage spells) and the SI use (3 full damage spells plus 4 cantrips). So don't think this is advocating "just" casting cantrips all the time. It's seeing whether the cantrip/wing flap side of things can make up for not casting another full damage spell.

Chaosmancer

Legend
And I think it is very notable that every example that "works" for the spell requires the Dragon Sorcerer's Wing Flap at level 14. You get Sorcery Incarnate at level 9. So waiting five levels before this can really work well?

I'm just going to call this version of the spell a miss. It was a decent idea "rage but for sorcerers" but it doesn't give enough value to be worth a 5th level spell slot. Now, if it were a lower level spell, it might, but I'd rather just get more bang for my buck.

Vael

Legend
Right now, my proposed buffs for Sorcery Incarnate would be:
  • Remove Concentration, but first spell ends if this spell is cast again
  • Instead of regaining Sorcery points, at the start of each turn, you gain 1d4 temporary Sorcery points. These cannot be used to regain spell slots and disappear at end of turn.

I think Arcane Eruption should be 3rd level, Sorcery Incarnate should not be Concentration, and for SI to give both flat Sorcery Points when used and more temporary points every turn that can't be used to generate spell slots.

mellored

Legend
Right now, my proposed buffs for Sorcery Incarnate would be:
  • Instead of regaining Sorcery points, at the start of each turn, you gain 1d4 temporary Sorcery points. These cannot be used to regain spell slots and disappear at end of turn.
Slight modification.

At the start of each of your turns, you gain 1 temporary sorcerer point. You can only use this point on metamagic, and they do not stack.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I personally don't like every sorcerer using chaos bolt.

They should have access to a more reliable adjustable spell like chromatic orb too.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think Arcane Eruption should be 3rd level, Sorcery Incarnate should not be Concentration, and for SI to give both flat Sorcery Points when used and more temporary points every turn that can't be used to generate spell slots.

3rd level spell? Honestly, I think it is good as a 4th level. The damage is a little low for 4th, but the control potential is very good. I obviously wouldn't object to it being a 3rd level spell, but I think it may end up a bit too powerful for that.

Sorcery Incarnate losing concentraion and giving flat SP both when you cast it and every turn after is great, love it. Frankly, other than the "can't create spell slots" I wouldn't even put limits on it, if someone wanted a 5th level spell that regen'd sorcery points for metamagic usage... I feel like that's fine.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I personally don't like every sorcerer using chaos bolt.

They should have access to a more reliable adjustable spell like chromatic orb too.

They do have access to Chromatic Orb. It is an arcane spell. They just don't have exclusive access to it, like they do Chaos Bolt.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
They do have access to Chromatic Orb. It is an arcane spell. They just don't have exclusive access to it, like they do Chaos Bolt.
I mean it should be exclusive and modified by dubclasses like Draconic Origin.

Like a Draconic Sorcerer can cast Chromatic Orb with no verbal, somatic, and material component as they spit it from their mouth.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
The problem is, I don't neccesarily want to look at this for the subclass, because if we find the damage is worth it for the Dragon subclass, what do we do with the Shadow Sorcerer who doesn't get the damage boosts? I'd want to avoid a situation where we say "this is fine" now only to find out it is only fine for a specific build.
I suppose that would be fixed by giving that specific feedback. Although, if the shadow sorcerer isn't getting a damage boost, they might not have been intended for damage anyways.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads