D&D 4E 4E ability scores

catsclaw227

First Post
glass said:
EDIT2: Int AFAWK doesn't add give you extra skills (AFNaB, IMO), but Con does add to hp -just once rather than multiplied by your level.
My search-fu is stunted, but as far as I know, we will likely see how Int affects skill choice in the Ability Scores section or the Skills section of the PHB, even though it wasn't in the Rogue class section.

This stands to reason that other ability scores will be better defined in other sections of the PHB that we haven't seen yet. The first bits of major crunch (Elf and Rogue) aren't enough to gauge how ability scores will work.

malraux

First Post
Stormtalon said:
All the indications are that the 1/2 level bonus to most d20 rolls only goes in once. So an attack roll will be d20 + 1/2 character level + (ability score - 10)/2 + class and magic bonuses. BAB as such no longer exists.

Simon Marks

First Post
I don't think there is a 'BAB' anymore - you don't add half your level twice.

So, a level 1 rogue makes a Dex roll of +4 vs Ref. A level 10 rogue (with the same dex) makes a Dex roll of +9 vs Ref.

An Attribute roll is;
[Attribute Modifier]+[1/2 Level]+other bonuses vs Target Number (Attribute Modifier + 1/2 Level + Bonuses)

I'd guess.

A unified mechanic, anyway.

Stormtalon

First Post
Pardon whilst I indulge in a bit of mathematical noodling here -- working things out as I type them, then I'll just post the whole mess.

Lemme first start with the same setup (for simplicity's sake): Joe Generic the Rogue with 18 Dex, comparing his various Deft Strike attack rolls vs our friend Maximilan Von Evil, the Pit Fiend and his defenses: AC 44; Fortitude 42, Reflex 38, Will 40

Joe Generic is level 26, no magic items, using dagger. Assume no BAB. Rolls Dex vs AC to hit Mr Von Evil. 13 + 4 + 1 == 18, needs nat 20 to hit. Not good.

Joe is level 26, has magic dagger (based on the one magic weapon we've seen, assume level/3 equals the bonus). Rolls Dex vs AC to poke a hole in Von Evil. 13 + 4 + 8 + 1 (Dagger is +8, has +1 to hit with daggers) == 26. Needs 18 or more to hit. Still borderline, though Piercing Strike would hit Reflex Def on 12 or more. Almost right.

Finally Joe is level 26, has increased Dex at 1/4 levels. Dex is now 24. Again, tries to stick a knife between Von Evil's ribs. 16 + 4 + 8 + 1 == 29. Now hits on 15 or higher, and Piercing Strike goes in on 9+. Ok, that seems about right, yes?

Unified mechanic it is! :)

FadedC

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Not to get off on a tangent, but I think Identifying magic items should be easier. I hate having to use an Identify spell, which takes 8 hours, consumes 100gps and only tells you 1 property of a magic item. I think Identify should just be folded into Detect Magic IMHO.

Identify doesn't work that way any more in 3.5. It's now only 1 hour to cast and reveals all properties (including charges and command words).

hong

WotC's bitch
mhensley said:
I hope not. I hate the fact that practically every wizard is Einstein and every Cleric is Gandhi.
The stat requirement for spellcasting of 10+X was not what caused stat inflation. It was the save DC formula of 10+X+spell level; and on the physical side, attack bonus of BAB+X combined with iterative penalties. If they get rid of that, it'll go a long way to removing godlike abilities from the game.

Remove ads