• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e and kids - Forked: With a subscription to DDi Character Builder, buying a PHB2

Forked from: With a subscription to DDi Character Builder, buying a PHB2 isn't necessary.

renau1g said:
Wow... awesome. I've got young twin boys and was wondering when to introduce my passion (& my wife's hooby) to them. When did you first introduce her to the game?
(trying this fancy new "fork button"...)
We've had some false starts over the past year, but now is when we're finally getting serious and playing regularly. I originally tried a watered down 3.5 with things like having a single saving throw, renaming the abilities to "Strong, Quick, Tough, Smart, Wise, and Charming", and giving them specific pieces of paper with their possible actions on them (sized so that a move and standard action was the size of a full action, etc.). But that required enough prep that I wasn't as motivated, and playing full 4e now, I can see that the benefit of watering it down wasn't all that much.

My 3 kids' ages are 5 (girl), 7 (boy), and 9 (girl). Their birth dates are spaced such that the older two are back to back in grades, and the younger is a year separated, so there always seems to be a bigger divide there. With that, the older two are picking it up just fine so far.

With my youngest, right now I just tell her a couple good options to pick from (usually re-flavored in terms of calling fairies and unicorns to do things) and what to roll when she picks. So she is probably too young, but there'd be heck to pay if I didn't include her. And, as long as I do narrow it down to "Do you want to do A or B?", she's totally into it. We have only just started, so we'll see how it goes, but so far, they all enjoy it.

As for the best age to start, I don't know. At first I wasn't sure if they were ready, and the first session didn't help since they got distracted a lot. But I'm greedy and want to play more, and they are eager and interested, so I'm keeping it up. Rather than waiting for them to be old enough to be able to learn all the rules and focus on the game, I'm instead looking at it as the game teaching them focus and the ability to comprehend complex game rules. That mindset helps me a lot when I'm totally into an encounter and my youngest has a couple of the miniatures start dancing and getting married. :) They are excited, and even if it is too much for them to possibly grasp at first, sticking it out will eventually teach them.

I'm also slowly building to the full rules, which helps. So in the first session I didn't get into action points, and second wind and all that. Just their powers listed right in front of them. Plus I just had enemies give up rather than dragging the fight fully out. (Kobold Hall from DMG - in the first room, they pushed/slid 3 of the kobolds into the central immobilizing goo, and the kids figured that was good enough to "capture" them. That was fine with me.)

Lastly, looking back, I realized that my first regular real game started when I was 10 (Red Box - oh yeah!). Even earlier, we were basically playing during recess, but without dice and paper - just our imagination and the bricks on the school wall as our map. So considering they pestered me for weeks to start a regular game with them, I figure they must be ready.

darjr

I crit!
Great story, thanks!

Don't worry to much about the table shenanigans. I've run games for kids and at first I thought it was a bad sign, and thought they did it cause they were bored, but later found out that they had a great time. They all showed up for the next event.

Angellis_ater

First Post
This is a topic of major interest to me - I have a 4½ year old daughter who wants to stay up with dad and play games like the big boys do. I've tried some simpler "draw'n'do" roleplaying with a fantasy setting (in which her princess saved the transformed prince from the evil warlock by slaying the thieves so that they could dance - ALL of it was her account).

I'm eager to start introducing dice rolling and stuff like that to her, but I wonder when it's too early. I'm taking it from your thread Ken that 5 is still a little young, is that right? However, she does have a bunch of cousins, one which has been RPGing with us old dudes for 6 months now (age 13). They're aged 13, 10 and 6 - any suggestions?

Breezly

First Post
I have a 12, 11 and 8yr old and they have varying degrees of interest in DnD so it is not so much age dependent as maturity dependent. I tried to get the 12yr old involved because she showed an interest, but she was too shy amongst the group to interact, so I think it is a matter of time. The 11yr old is very interested, but his attention span is such that after 30min he is ready to move on, so again, he is not quite there yet. In the group is a 14yr old son of one of the players and he has been great as he listens, is attentive and is eager to learn.

For my kids, I have steered them away from a DnD game and tried boardgames that are close to the subject material like Descent, Runebound even munchkin. This gives them the flavor of the game and during these games I am usually playing 'in character' in some ways, so they get a feel for my gaming style. There is still some shyness and attention issues, but it has gotten better. I am using this as a cultivating ground so when I see things change a bit, then I will try pull them back into the game.

For younger kids it is going to be hard because you are going to have varying degrees of maturity, so my suggestion is to groom them on other games and then pull them in slowly, certainly with their own game. Trying to pull them into a game with adults did not seem to work for me because they may have felt intimidated and the level of game was a bit out of reach for them still.

--Breezly

Storminator

First Post
I started my son on 4e right when it came out. He was 8.

But we've been doing a ruleless version for a lot longer. Since he was about 5 or so we'd do interactive story time. He plays one character and I do all the rest. It's been much like a player/DM interaction, except there's no dice rolling, and his hero never fails at any task. :)

After a few years of that it was a pretty natural switch to the tabletop. I use power cards for Will, as they are less abstract than bookkeeping. He uses anything from this pile, and puts in that pile when he's done. Then we periodically refresh the piles.

I have found that a 1 hour session is about his limit. We have a game journal that we fill in afterwards. We summarize the story, and he gets to draw pictures and maps.

Also, being a player doesn't truly give the narrative control he desires, but he'll have to cope with that for a while. :D

I can't help you with multi-kid games tho. Will plays solo right now.

PS

This is a topic of major interest to me - I have a 4½ year old daughter who wants to stay up with dad and play games like the big boys do. I've tried some simpler "draw'n'do" roleplaying with a fantasy setting (in which her princess saved the transformed prince from the evil warlock by slaying the thieves so that they could dance - ALL of it was her account).

I'm eager to start introducing dice rolling and stuff like that to her, but I wonder when it's too early. I'm taking it from your thread Ken that 5 is still a little young, is that right? However, she does have a bunch of cousins, one which has been RPGing with us old dudes for 6 months now (age 13). They're aged 13, 10 and 6 - any suggestions?
My 5 year is alright, but she does require a lot of guidance. Also since she's in kindergarten and just starting to learn to read, her character sheet is really just for my own use. With the other two (2nd and 3rd grade), even if they don't know what the words mean, they can find them on the sheet (and expand their vocabulary!). The 5 year old does get good math practice however.

Two other places to consider start are:

1) Green Ronin's Faery's Tale Deluxe - You play a certain type of fairy - pixie, brownie, and even insect-riding warriors for the boys who think the other fairies are too girly. If I recall (only read it, never played it), the resolution mechanic used a d6, but it was an even/odd resolution I think. So technically, you could flip a coin unless I'm forgetting something, which is possible, but using a d6 does introduce them die rolling concept.

I wish I had actually started them on this since it is so perfectly geared towards their age in both topic and complexity, but once I started talking about the possibility of them playing D&D, they wouldn't have settled for anything other than "that game you and Mom play at your friends' houses" with wizards and warriors, and all that.

2) I really wish I could remember the name of it, but my memory and google-fu are failing me, but there is a game out there that can be best described as a miniatures game using stuffed animals. With stuffed animals and entire rooms as the play area, it was a simple game geared towards kids and introduce them to RPGs and Miniature games. Never bought it, but it looked like it could be fun for the real young kids.

capn_frank

First Post
2) I really wish I could remember the name of it, but my memory and google-fu are failing me, but there is a game out there that can be best described as a miniatures game using stuffed animals. With stuffed animals and entire rooms as the play area, it was a simple game geared towards kids and introduce them to RPGs and Miniature games. Never bought it, but it looked like it could be fun for the real young kids.

Hi,

You are thinking of Inner City Games Designs' Fuzzy Heroes.
I bought this at Gen Con the last year they were in Milwaukee after going through a demo but no one in my gaming group wants to play with my little stuffed friends :(

Frank

JoeBlank

Explorer
Wow, I had no idea there were that many of us out there. My sons are now ages 6, 8 and 10, and I started gaming with them about 3 years ago. I've posted about my attempts several times, once leading the response in my .sig from Col. Pladoh himself.

We started with the minis game, and then played The Temple of Elemental Evil PC game. We then went to 3.5, and have now started a 4e game. The character builder has been fantastic. They all enjoyed making their characters, and having the action cards helps them remember all their options.

eryndel

Explorer
My son just turned 8 today. The poor boy has been in love with World of Warcraft (mea culpa) since about 4. I tried him out on 3e as early as 6 but was more interested in the computer. When 4e came out, we tried a couple of encounters around the family but was more interested in the WoW setting. So I'm capitulating and drawing 4e equivalents of the WoW races and running with that. Now he's absolutely thrilled. We'll have our first run this weekend but I've already had a fun conversation (he brought up) about what powers and abilites races like goblins and centaurs should have.

I would say that you could go as early as 6 or 7, but 8 is being a fun age with him.

His 4 yr old sister wants to play too, and she'll get a character (blood elf ranger) but I figure she'll be more in and out.

Remove ads