4e Battle of Good vs. Evil: Ice Archon & Co. vs. Eye Of Flame & Co.

Gansk

Explorer
My highest initiative roll for any of my creatures is 7! If you can beat that with any of your creatures (including the minions), you have the option of entering the arena first or second.

My main opponent will be the halfling paladin.

My reinforcements:
If one creature is defeated, I can add a blazing skeleton.
If two creatures are defeated, I can add a human mage and a blazing skeleton.

Your reinforcements:
If one creature is defeated, you can add a bodak skulk.
If two creatures are defeated, you can add a rakshasa baron (general!) and grell philosopher.

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
The kobold skirmisher has an initiative bonus of +5, so I can't help but beat that. I'm not sure if you wanted me to roll for each of the minions, but at least one bad guy won initiative (skirmisher got 7+5). Also, I didn't think we were supposed to identify the main opponent, but everything's out in the open, so no big deal. I was gonna choose Kobold Skirmisher as my main guy, then I noticed that healing surges aren't listed. Is that a downside to running "monsters", no healing? That's a major drawback for Evil. Anyway, I'll still pick the Skirmisher as my main bad guy.

Here's my Daily Power, you need not know what it is until I reference it. [sblock] sleep [/sblock]

After carefully reading the rules and reviewing all abilities, Evil elects to let Good go first.

Gansk

Explorer
The house rule is that every monster starts with +1 AP and one healing surge. If the monster lasts 10 rounds, it gets another healing surge. If it lasts 20 rounds, it gets another AP. Minions get 1 AP, but no healing surge.

The good guys will set up as follows:

Corrin the Halfling Paladin - 55N55E - Short Sword in hand.
Tira the Half-Elf Warlock - 85N55E - Wand in hand.
Riardon the Eladrin Ranger - 25N55E - Longbow in hand.

We will not ready any actions, hoping we can survive the initial onslaught and respond furiously.

Your turn in round 1.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Do the bad guys act in order of initiative? I'm assuming not.

Skamos Redmoon, tiefling wizard enters the fray at 85n100e, wand in hand, and casts magic missile at Tira (Attack 6 vs Reflex, so ineffective I think). Skamos will immediately use up an action point and repeat the magic missile at Tira (attack 17 vs Reflex, doing 11 force damage).

4 kobold minions pop into the arena at 80n (50/55/60/65e). Label them K1-K4 west-east. Each will toss a spear at Corrin (+5 atk). They each have a trio of spears, hide armor, and a light shield. After throwing the spear, they take a minor action to ready a second spear (and can use them in melee). #1-3 would provoke an OA if the warlock could attack, so take that into account.

1. vs AC 14, 2 damage
2. vs AC 7, 2 damage
3. vs AC 18, 2 damage
4. vs AC 20, 2 damage

The kobold Skirmisher, Hassafrass, pops in at, you guessed it, 90n55e at attacks Tira with his spear. He also has a hide armor and a light shield, but only one spear. Presumably, Tira is flanked (i.e. has no power that negates that), so Hass gets Combat Advantage (+2). He also gets a mob attack, +1 per kobold ally adjacent to opponent. He makes an attack roll of 7+6+2+3=18 vs. AC. He deals an additional 1d6 for having combat advantage, so he deals 1+6 for 7 damage. With such an advantageous position, he'll use up the action point to attack again. This time, it's 16+6+2+3=27 vs. AC for 3+4=7 damage.

Gansk

Explorer
Skamos misses with the first attack, but hits with the second. He is in the Hall of Fame! :)

K3 and K4 hit. Tira is bloodied with 13 hp left!

Hassafrass hits twice, putting him in the Hall of Fame! :)

Poor Tira is unconscious with -1 hp!

The Good Guys will respond shortly,

Gansk

Explorer
Brightleaf the elf archer will move into the arena (not teleport) from the west side to 80N15E, bow in hand. He has a shortsword in his scabbard. Since he moved at least 4 squares, he gets +2 to hit.

He will fire at K1, then use his AP to fire at K1 again if he missed, or K2 if he hit.
Arrow 1: 18+9+2 = 29 vs. AC, 11 damage.
Arrow 2: 16+9+2 = 27 vs. AC, 10 damage.

Corrin will move to 80N50E (assuming K1 is dead), then lay on hands as a minor action, touching Tira. Tira uses Corrin's healing surge to heal up to 7 hp. He will then use his standard action to issue a divine challenge to Hassafrass, marking him. If Hassafrass attacks anyone but Corrin, he will get a -2 to hit and suffer 8 radiant damage. Corrin is wearing plate armor and holds a heavy shield in his other hand. He has two throwing hammers hanging from a belt.

Tira will use her second wind, healing her to 14 hp and giving her +2 on all defenses. She will then issue a warlock's curse to Hassafrass as minor action, helping her on future attacks against him. Then she will crawl (triggering OA's with combat advantage from Hassafrass and K3) to 70N40E. Since she moved at least 3 squares, she invokes shadow walk, granting her concealment (any attack on her that hits, roll another d20, the attack still hits if 5 or more). The concealment occurs after the OA's. Tira wears leather armor and has three daggers in her belt.

Riardon will run to 65N95E, granting combat advantage to all who attack him. Since Skamos is now his nearest enemy, he will use a minor action to designate Skamos as his quarry, which helps him in future attacks. He will use his action point and fire two careful shots at Skamos. Riardon wears hide armor and has a long sword in his scabbard.

Arrow 1: 11+10 = 21 vs. AC, 3+4 quarry = 7 damage
Arrow 2: 9+10 = 19 vs. AC, 9+1 quarry = 10 damage.

Since I brought in the elf archer, my reinforcement rules change. Always look to the first post for reinforcement rules.

Infiniti2000

First Post
(I hope you are reading bad guy stats, too, because we need to double-check each other. It's a good idea to make sure since we're so new at these rules.)

K1 clutches the arrow at his chest in disbelief, then falls to the floor dead, and disappears. K2 does likewise.

K3 takes the OA, rolling 8+5+2 (for combat advantage) vs AC for 2 damage. Hassafrass also takes the OA, risking the divine retribution for a chance at the warlock. He rolls 18+6+2+1-2=25 for 1+5 damage. He then takes 8 radiant damage and groans in pain, then anger when he gets cursed.

Skamos is hit by both arrows, but only takes 16 damage (quarry only works 1/round). Skamos is Bloodied.
[D]

Skamos invokes Infernal Wrath on Riardon as a minor action, giving him +1 on the attack roll vs. an enemy that hit him since the last turn. Skamos then uses his Wand of Accuracy (1/encounter for a +2) and Daily Power (see sblock) and tries to put opponents to sleep. Unfortunately, I have no idea what "burst 2" means. Is that 2-square radius or any squares within two of each other? If he can hit both Corrin and Tira, he will. If he can only target a 2-square diameter, then it will be Riardon. The attack roll is 11+5+2 vs. Will. (Would this be +1 for Infernal Wrath and +2 for CA vs. Riardon, and +2 combat advantage vs. Tira? A second roll for concealment would be 16+5+2+?) Skamos then moves to 95n75e.

Anyone who is targeted by the Sleep (hit or not) is slowed. At the end of their respective turns, they get a save to shake off the slowness. If anyone is actually hit by the Sleep (and I think whoever is targeted will be hit), then they are slowed as normal and if they fail the first save, they become unconscious.

K3 moves into position at 70n45e and attacks Tira. The roll is 7+5 for 2 damage. He will use up his AP and try again, 17+5 for 2 damage. He then shifts as a minor action to 75n50e (he's Shifty). K4 moves to 80n55e and attacks Corrin, same thing 7+5 for 2 damage. He will also try again (now, all bad guys have used an action point), rolling (unbelievably) 17+5 for 2 damage.

Hassafrass the kobold skirmisher is outraged at the divine challenge and steps into position at 85n50e, gaining combat advantage against Corrin. He stabs with his spear with a lousy 5+6+2+2 (CA and mob attack).

Gansk

Explorer
Brightleaf and Corrin enter the Hall of Fame! :)

Tira's second wind causes K3 to miss his OA. Hassafrass hits and Tira has 8 hp left.

OOC: A burst is a radius from a selected square (not intersection). Thus burst 2 is effectively a 5 x 5 square. You roll attacks vs. each target separately, but you roll damage only once. I'll say you rolled an 11 vs. Tira and 16 vs. Corrin. The d20 for concealment does not include bonuses - 1 through 4 simulates a 20% miss chance.

The results are:
11+5+2 for CA = 18, which hits Tira, pending a concealment roll.
16+5+2 for wand = 23, which hits Corrin. Both are slowed.

K3's first attack misses, but his second attack hits pending a concealment roll.
K4's first attack misses, but his second attack hits. Corrin has 25 hp left.
Hassafrass misses.

Round 3:

Tira will stand up and cast Curse of the Dark Dream on Skamos.
Attack: 12+4= 16 vs. Will, 20 psychic damage and move to 110N75E if hit and drop into the water. Even if Tira misses, she will use a minor action to slide Skamos to 100N75E.

(House swimming rules: make a DC 10 Athletics or Str check to stay afloat, move one quarter your speed as a move action, hold your breath for rounds = Con. Make a DC 5 Athletics or Str check to climb on to shore and stand up as a move action, otherwise you are prone.)

Tira will then use her AP to attack Hassafrass with Witchfire.
Attack: 16+4= 20 vs. Reflex, 10+2 (Warlock's Curse) fire damage and Hassafras has -4 to attacks until round 4.

Tira misses her save (rolled 1). Her concealment ends.

Riardon will fire a careful shot at Skamos if he is still afloat, otherwise he will fire at Hassafras. I'll apply -2 for cover in either case (water for Skamos, K4 for Hassafras).
Attack: 8+10-2 = 16 vs. AC, 5 damage + 8 quarry if Skamos.

Corrin will use Holy Strike to attack Hassafras.
Attack: 16+5 = 21 vs. AC, 6+3 radiant damage because he is marked.

Then he will shift to 75N45E as a move action, then lay hands on Tira. Tira will heal 7 hp and has 13 hp. (15 hp if K3 missed).

Then Corrin will use his AP and cast Divine Mettle, targeting Tira. Tira gets another saving throw and makes it (8+3). She is prone if Skamos hit, otherwise she is standing.
Corrin barely makes his saving throw (rolled 10).

Brightleaf will move around 4, ending up in the same place. He fires an arrow at Skamos if afloat or Hassafras if still up, otherwise K4.
Attack: 18+9+2= 29 vs. AC, 27 vs. Skamos (cover). Damage is 8+4 = 12.

All the Good Guys have now used their AP's.

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
The sleep attack still hits despite concealment (rolled 9).

K3 also hit despite concealment (rolled 13).

A 16 vs. Skamos Will defense easily wins and the wizard dies outright, then is teleported out before the corpse even gets wet.

(So, I can't bring in a bad guy yet, right?)

Hassafrass gets on the bad end of Tira's Witchfire and ends up at 7 hit points and is Bloodied. Tira went unconscious after her turn.

Riardon hits Hassafrass's AC, so he drops to 2 hit points.

Corrin also hits, dropping Hass into the negatives. Tira now wakes up, but is prone.

(Still no new bad guys yet, right?)

K4 takes an arrow in the right eyes, falls to the floor, and then disappears.

K3 is still up, so Evil doesn't lose, and new bad guys can join the fray.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infiniti2000

First Post
So, does Evil have 2 or 3 creatures defeated? If it's 2, can I still use the 3/4 kobold minions rule for vampire spawn? I'm guessing I can't bring in the "if three creatures" clause. Not that I'd want to though, 'cause I don't want someone winning yet, I'd rather see the combat continue.

Remove ads