4e Battle of Good vs. Evil: Ice Archon & Co. vs. Eye Of Flame & Co.

Gansk

Explorer
Woo Hoo! Tira is in the Hall of Fame! :) She has 13 hp and is prone.

Yes, you have to wait until it is your turn to bring in reinforcements. You can bring them in at any time during your turn only.

If K3 runs and taps out, you can use the 'three creatures' clause, because even though everyone will be defeated, there is one unconscious guy left to kill, so I won't win.

Otherwise you can bring in a kobold slinger, an orc raider, and a vampire spawn.

Infiniti2000

First Post
K3 refuses to flee while his master is still alive. He moves southwest to 70n45e (move action, only 5ft so does not provoke) and then, if I'm understanding this correctly, uses his minor ability to Shift another 5ft to 65n45e, still not provoking. He stabs at Tira with his spear, rolling a 5+5+2 (for combat advantage) for 2 damage if it hit (and I think it misses).

Hassafrass does not get worse (rolled 17), holding steady at -7hp. No one on evil's side has healing I don't think, so I'm not sure of the point of keeping unconscious characters around.

Strahd the vampire spawn smells blood and pops into the arena at 75n35e, attacking Tira with a claw. He rolls a 4+11+2 (combat advantage) vs. AC, for 5 damage (it would only be 3 damage if not bloodied, how's that for kicking someone when their down?). Btw, Combat Advantage situations don't stack, right? Strahd will use up his Action Point while he's still up and attack again, rolling a 5+11+2 for another 5 damage (pathetic rolls, but fortunately it's good enough).

A young black drago...oops, I mean an orc raider undoubtedly wearing some kind of armor and wielding a battleaxe pops in at 70n90e. Indiana, named after his dog, swings his battleaxe, rolling a natural 1 (automatic miss?). Indiana is the new main opponent.

Gargle the kobold slinger appears at 45n55e, loads up his sling with a special shot of glue, and launches it at Brightleaf. He acquires a different d20 and rolls a ... 19+6, hitting easily. Brightleaf takes 2+3 damage and is immobilized (save ends). He uses his AP to launch more glue, but this time at Riardon. He rolls a 17+6, also hitting and dealing 4+3 damage. Riardon is also immobilized (save ends). Good thing he switches d20s. Gargle is equipped with leather armor, a dagger, and the sling with 20 regular bullets and one more special bullet. (I hope it's okay to choose the special shot type before entering, particularly since they knew the situation. The last one will also be glue.)

Gansk

Explorer
OOC: The reason why unconscious characters are still around depends on whether they have their healing surge left (Hassafrass does). If he rolls 20 on his death save, he triggers it and miraculously pops back to 1/4 hp. Also the house rule is everybody can perform the heal skill untrained with a wisdom check. Thus K3 could have used a standard action to stabilize H (DC 15) or trigger his healing surge as above (DC 20). Since he rolled a 5 anyway, he may as well stay where is.

Combat advantage does not stack. I don't think a natural 1 is a miss anymore, but Indiana misses anyway. The orc raider has a typo, the Pain Rage gives -2 to attack and defense, not +2. It is OK to choose your equipment before entering.

Round 4: Tira has 3 hp and is bloodied and prone. Brightleaf has 15 hp and is immobilized. Riardon has 16 hp and is immobilized. Corrin has 25 hp.

Brightleaf will fire at Strahd, 12+9=21, hit for 5 damage. He makes his save (rolled 11).

Riardon will designate Indiana as his quarry, then use Fey Step to teleport to 75N70E.
He will fire a careful shot at Strahd (Corrin ducks, as allies no longer provide cover).
Attack: 9+10=19, hit for 6 damage. Riardon makes his save (rolled 13).

Corrin will lay hands on Tira (last one). Tira has 10 hp. He moves to 50N50E and attacks Gargle with a bolstering strike. 11+6=17, hit for 5 damage and Corrin now has 28 hp.

Tira will crawl to 85N40E, triggering an OA from K3 and granting her concealment. She will then attack Gargle with Eyebite. 12+4-2 for prone = 14 vs. Will, hit for 5 psychic damage and Tira is invisible to Gargle.

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
Strahd takes the second arrow in the throat and slumps to the ground unconscious. Hass is still at -7, K3 is up, Indiana is at full, Gargle is at 14 (not Bloodied), and Strahd is at -1.

K3 takes the opportunity attack (the reason he moved there in the first place), and rolls a 13+5+2 for 2 damage.

K3 then moves over to his boss at 80n55e and tries to trigger a healing surge on Hass, but fails with a 3+1. In fact, Hassafrass takes a turn for the worst (rolled a 7).

Strahd suddenly looks better, stands up, and looks around for a target to charge. Tira, bloodied, is too close, so Strahd goes after Brightleaf, charging to 75n20e. He rolls a 6+11+1, hitting for 3 damage.

Indiana charges to 75n75e and swipes at Riardon with his battleaxe. He swings and misses with a 4+10+1.

Gargle shifts one square to the east as a minor action, then launches a special shot at Corrin, rolling another 19+6, hitting easily. Corrin takes 3+3 damage and is immobilized. Gargle then moves to 15n90e.

Infiniti2000

First Post
OOC: Something doesn't add up about Corrin's hit points. If the first value of 25 was correct, then the bolstering strike should give him +3 temporary hit points.

Gansk

Explorer
Round 5: Tira has 8 hp, is bloodied, prone and shadowy. Brightleaf has 12 hp. Riardon has 16 hp. Corrin has 22 hp and is immobilized.

On Indiana's turn in round 4, Riardon will respond to his attack by using Fox's Cunning. He shifts back to 70N65E and fires, 1+6+2=9, miss.

Back to round 5, Riardon will move to 40N35E, then use Nimble Strike to fire at Indiana.
Attack: 4+6=10, miss. Then shift to 35N30E.

Brightleaf will shift to 85N20E and fire at Strahd. 7+9=16, miss.

Corrin will issue a divine challenge to Indiana. He is now marked. Then Corrin will show his holy symbol to Indiana and invoke On Pain of Death. 16+3 vs. Will, hit. 16 damage and Indiana will take 1d8 if he attacks (save ends), plus another 8 if he does not attack Corrin.
Corrin makes his save (17).

Tira will stand up and blast Strahd. 8+4 vs. Reflex, miss. Her concealment ends.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Indiana is Bloodied and wants to know why you think it's a typo on Pain Rage. The ability doesn't make sense with minuses.

K3 tries another healing surge try, 13+1, no dice. Hass does not get worse (14).

Strahd heals a little more and then charges Tira to 80n35e. He rolls an 8+11, which hits for 5 damage.

Indiana will take a second wind, which heals him some unknown value (no healing surge value listed for monsters). He moves to 55n55e and then shakes off the On Pain of Death (16).

Gargle takes a second wind, gaining ? hit points (again, unknown value).

OOC: K3 is at -- hit points. Hass is at -7 and has deteriorated once. Strahd is at 5 and getting stronger, bloodied. Indiana is at 16+surge value, no longer bloodied. Gargle is at 14+surge, not bloodied.

Gansk

Explorer
This is why I think it is a typo. Basically it is a combo of Power Attack and Barbarian Rage.

Healing Surge hp is half of your bloodied hp, rounded down. So Indiana heals 8 hp, Gargle heals 6 hp.

Round 6: Tira has 3 hp and is bloodied. Brightleaf has 12 hp. Riardon has 16 hp. Corrin has 23 hp.

Riardon makes a Split the Tree attack on Indiana and Gargle as Corrin ducks.
Attack 1: 20+6 = 26. Crit! Attack 2: 18+6 = 24. Riardon takes the higher of the two and applies to both targets. Both targets are hit.
Natural 20's no longer require an extra roll to confirm a crit. Damage is max, not doubled.
Indiana takes 24+4 quarry (I think base damage is max, not extra damage like sneak attack and quarry). Gargle takes 24.

Brightleaf will move 4, ending up at 80N15E. He fires at Strahd. 9+9+2= 20, hit. 5 damage.

Tira will shift to 80N45E and blast K3. 9+4+1 for Prime Shot = 14 vs. Reflex, hit. 6 damage.

Corrin will step to 50N55E and skewer helpless Gargle. Auto crit for 8 damage.

Strahd has technically been defeated (twice), so you can add full reinforcements!

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
The slaughter of Evil continues! :)

I forgot that I could have substituted for Strahd earlier. Anyway, K3 dies and is teleported out. Indiana is down and at -4. Gargle is dead and is teleport out (though I'm not sure how he got skewered from so far away, did Corrin change weapons?). Strahd is unconscious again, this time at 0. Evil will bring in two kobold wymrpriests (P1/P2), a goblin sharpshooter named Hawkeye, and another kobold Skirmisher named Dariana (dare-ee-an-na). I recommend we drop the "main opponent" idea for this contest because it's unnecessary. No one's ever gonna go for a draw here, it would be counterproductive and impossible. If you want, P1 will be the new leader.

Dariana pops in at 75n45e and stabs at Tira with the spear (9+6+1 for mob attack), hits for 8 damage (max). Tira goes unconscious yet again. Dariana, the bloodthirsty savage, wastes her action point to hit Tira again while she's down, automatically critting for 8 damage +1d6=3, Tira is dead and teleported out.

Hawkeye pops in at 90n50e and shoots his crossbow at Brightleaf. 11+5, hit for 3+2 damage.

P1 pops in at 70n55e and uses Incite Faith to grant all Evil allies in a burst 10 +5 temporary hit points, but I'm not positive what temporary really means for this. I'm assuming the same thing so it can go above max. Hawkeye, Dariana, and P1 all get +5. Strahd goes up to 5 and is conscious. Indiana gets to +1 and becomes conscious. Hassafrass gets to -2. P1 uses his AP to lob a fire-based energy orb at Corrin, 4+16 vs. Reflex (hit) for 3+3 (6) fire damage.

Strahd regenerates to 3+5 hit points, is no longer bloodied, stands up, then charges to 80n20 to grapple Brightleaf (10+5 strength vs. reflex, successful, it doesn't matter here, but +1 for charging?). Does Strahd move into Brightleaf's square? No damage, right? Brightleaf is immobilized.

P2 pops in at 75n60e and uses Incite Faith to grant all Evil allies in a burst 10 +5 temporary hit points. He also uses his AP to lob an energy orb at Corrin. This time it's cold. It's a crit! Corrin takes 13 cold damage.

Hassafrass takes his second wind (healing 6) and then stands up.

Indiana attacks from the prone position, rolling a 5+10-2-2, missing wildly.

Bad Guy Stats, left has actual hit points plus temp hp. Note that some are still negative actual.

Hass: -1+5+5 bloodied
Indiana: -4+5+5 bloodied, prone
Strahd: 3+5+5
P1: 36+5+5
P2: 36+5
Hawkeye: 24+5+5
Dariana: 27+5+5

Wyrmpriest energy types: P1=fire, P2=cold

Order:
Dariana
Hawkeye
P1
Strahd
P2
Hassafrass
Indiana

Last edited by a moderator:

Gansk

Explorer
I agree about the main opponent, but I need it to keep statistics (kinda like ERA in baseball), so please indulge me. :)

I missed the part where Gargle moved, so Riardon could not have used Split the Tree. Oops. :heh: Too complicated to backtrack now, we'll go with the current situation. At least all the Good Guys are out of daily powers, which are pretty overpowered if you ask me.

When you are in the negatives and use your healing surge or receive healing, you get to start from zero - the negatives don't count anymore. We'll keep that property just for healing, and not other types of hp gain like temp hps and regeneration. Strahd stays adjacent to Brightleaf, but give him +1 for charging. No damage.

Round 7 tonight.

Remove ads