• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E being immune to criticism (forked from Sentimentality And D&D...)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I put for the reason why Eladrin can only spend so little time in the Feywild is that the artificial path they have formed between the Feywild and the World can only exist for a brief period of time before it becomes swallowed up by the Feywild.

More permenant entrances can happen through rituals conducted at various doorways, areas where the planes are weak, etc. But even these can sometimes become lost and devoured by the shifting vines and thorns of the Feywild.

My Feywild is very, Changeling: The Lost.

So basically if a PC wished he could stay in the Feywild by Fey Step... But, it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do, what with how vicious the Feywild can be and cut-off from all support and lost without knowing where a exit is. Thus the base mechanics of Fey Step stay the same since well, it is common sense ability in my campaign.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I'm still surprised that people dislike the eladrin. To me, the eladrin were the obvious answer to the almost constant split that occurs in campaign worlds where they split the elf into high and wild versions.

Personally I have no axe to grind in the aldarin debate, but it does puzzle me a bit. I don't really understand why the wild/fey elf split is described as a problem. It seems about the same as saying that there's a problem having humans in both agricultural and industrial roles. It's a cultural difference, not a racial one. At least that was always how I interpreted the different niches elves fill.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Personally I have no axe to grind in the aldarin debate,

Didn't the Death Star destroy alderan?

:lol:

Seriously, though, even if it was serious griping about what I was doing, I would be thrilled if my own game system generated even a thousandth of what 4e has generated. Were I Mr. Mearls, I would take it with a pretty big grain of salt. :)

RC

mmadsen

First Post
Did mmadsen really take this statement as slamming prior editions?
I didn't think it was all that mysterious. I know that very few people follow links, so I provided the text, and I know very few people read long blocks of text, so I put the key passage in bold. I wasn't passing judgment.

It looks like that key passage was heavily edited though from the one that drew so much ire. I suspect the original passage wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest, but it did bother many people -- another example of people wanting an edition war and wanting to win that edition war, rather than wanting to examine how games are designed and how to make them better.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Thasmodious said:
None of those were a part of D&D originally, and only the monk ended up part of OD&D (in Blackmoor).

Oh, I know. The point remains. My edition of "old school" D&D had those things, because the one I associate with as my edition had them. That is to say, AD&D with UA was pretty much what I played most of the time back in the day.

WP

Jasperak

Adventurer
Man, everbody's a critic! ;)

More seriously, the feedback thing is important. We're definitely listening to what people want in the game, stuff they've been excited about, stuff they dislike.

When people get shrill and angry, it's very easy to tune 'em out. The thing is, someone can be really angry and say, "Man, it's freakin' stupid that the half-orc isn't in the PH" and that's actually a useful thing to hear (people are mad about the half-orc; are a lot of them mad? should we do something?). I can react to that, and we do talk about this stuff at WotC.

Stuff that Firelance talked about, that just makes it easy to lose the useful feedback signal amongst all the noise.

And like I've said before, it works both ways. If someone's talking through why 4e doesn't work for them, calling them stupid just shuts down useful discussion. If people out there have an issue with the game, and it's something that can teach us something, we want to hear.

Excellent.

Remove ads