• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E being immune to criticism (forked from Sentimentality And D&D...)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Ultimately, 4e does not cause 3.5 to stop existing, nor did it get rid of 3, or it get rid of 2, etc, etc, etc ... people have the option to use the older editions, or the newer editions. Another patch of 3.5 wouldn't be a new edition, it would be more rules added to the same thing. Considering one of the complaints levied against 4e is the lack of options ... having more editions to pick from is a good thing. While 4e does prevent, to an extent, further development of 3.5, it does not prevent anyone from playing it. 4e not getting made, on the other hand, would definitely involve people not having been able to play it ;).

It doesn't prevent it from existing, but it does prevent current copies from being replaced. And, as with anything that wears out over time or is lost in various disasters, that means its physical existence will dwindle. So, it will continue to exist for some time. No doubt in better shape than predecessors thanks to the OGL, but still in inevitable decline.

Defender/Striker/Controller/Leader isn't something they pulled out of WoW. 2e had Warrior/Rogue/Wizard/Priest. Warrior was a bit more strikerish, and the rogue's role was more of an out of combat role, but the foundations of the four basic roles were there ... following the original "only 4 classes" that came before it. 3e was really the only class to significantly go away from that idea of roles.

You are correct here. Defender/Striker/Controller/Leader comes from City of Heroes, which is appropriate since 4E is a supers system.

It doesn't prevent it from existing, but it does prevent current copies from being replaced. And, as with anything that wears out over time or is lost in various disasters, that means its physical existence will dwindle. So, it will continue to exist for some time. No doubt in better shape than predecessors thanks to the OGL, but still in inevitable decline.
Maybe it's because I am not playing a declining system, but why should one worry so much? Do people need the knowledge that other people they never meet don't play their game? Do people really expect never to want something else to play?
My 3.5 rulebooks don't show much tear and wear, so I wouldn't be particularly worried about replacements any time soon... But then, I certainly won't need them, either.

You are correct here. Defender/Striker/Controller/Leader comes from City of Heroes, which is appropriate since 4E is a supers system.

This is the sort of arrogant comment that makes people angry. You strongly imply that people who feel 4E works great for generic fantasy and don't find it a "supers" system are wrong and shouldn't think that way.

Picking up older books from a system that sold well, using things like Amazon and eBay, is trivial in this day and age, and you can get books at a good price and in very good condition. While I don't deny that the 3.5E community inevitably declines because of the launch of 4E, I don't see books being a real complaint. If you want them, they're easy to find, and will be so for years.

VanRichten

First Post
If that's why they moved to 4th Edition. But I hardly think the development philosophy that launched the design of the entire system was "We need change, whether it's good or bad... let's just... I don't know, let's just change".

mod edit: no real-world politics, folks

Last edited by a moderator:

This is the sort of arrogant comment that makes people angry. You strongly imply that people who feel 4E works great for generic fantasy and don't find it a "supers" system are wrong and shouldn't think that way.

I stand behind my assertion that 4E is a supers game. Those who play it as a fantasy system are not "wrong" and may think anything that they wish. I could take the Marvel rpg and create fantasy characters and play that as fantasy too and it wouldn't be "wrong" either if I thought that would work for me.

vagabundo

Adventurer
?!?!?!

I thought he was being funny.

RC

Seems he wasn't:

I stand behind my assertion that 4E is a supers game. Those who play it as a fantasy system are not "wrong" and may think anything that they wish. I could take the Marvel rpg and create fantasy characters and play that as fantasy too and it wouldn't be "wrong" either if I thought that would work for me.

Your wrong, it is a fantasy game. BuzzzzT, thanks for playing.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Maybe it's because I am not playing a declining system, but why should one worry so much? Do people need the knowledge that other people they never meet don't play their game? Do people really expect never to want something else to play?
My 3.5 rulebooks don't show much tear and wear, so I wouldn't be particularly worried about replacements any time soon... But then, I certainly won't need them, either.

It's more a question about finding new players or players in a new environment with ready access to the materials. It can be hard enough to find decent players for the current edition of D&D (whatever that current edition is), but it gets harder for previous editions as they become less and less current.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads