• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 4e Character in a 3E World

GreyWanderer

First Post
So, the DM is sending us to Ravenloft. Since I run an Ogre fighter (and nonhumans fair as well as the Frankenstein Monster did in Van Helsing), I'm going to run a Cleric temporarily. Just as a test, I'm making a 4E cleric.

He's going to be 12th level, in Ravenloft, surrounded by 3E characters.

Any build suggestions?

On Puget Sound

First Post
Cool, I want to play too! I'll make an elven decker/ technoshaman from Shadowrun.

Seriously, it will be about that hard to reconcile these two different games.

N0Man

First Post
So, the DM is sending us to Ravenloft. Since I run an Ogre fighter (and nonhumans fair as well as the Frankenstein Monster did in Van Helsing), I'm going to run a Cleric temporarily. Just as a test, I'm making a 4E cleric.

He's going to be 12th level, in Ravenloft, surrounded by 3E characters.

Any build suggestions?

As a 4E cleric, your bonus to attack will be worse, you'll have less attacks per round, your damage will be about 1/3 to 1/4 what a 3E cleric could deal, your healing would be between 1/4 to 1/2 as effective as 3E cleric (and that's even assuming you could cast it on the rest of the party which is impossible due to lack of Healing surges), the number of heals per day would be drastically less, and the number of spells in general per day would be far less.

Given all of this, I'd say that your build should focus totally on intelligence, and Wisdom. Don't invest in Con, Wis, or Cha at all. Take your 8 in Con. generally make your character as weak as possible so he will die quicker and you can roll a character that will actually work in the world.

3E and 4E are on totally different scaling when it comes to encounter durations, damage, and healing. A 4E cleric would be a total gimp in a 3E world.

Cryptos

First Post
I'll roll up a Virtual Adept with plenty of points in Correspondence and Force spheres, just for the hell of it. Got room for one more? ;)

Only if I can be a Fate/Space/Time Acanthus of the Silver Ladders.

(This thread is... soooo not what I expected. I thought he was going to talk about using a 3e-style setting / economy / racial groups with 4e characters (ie, ditch the PoL and 4e fluff), not literally be the only 4th edition character in the setting!)

I think they may have inadvertently upgraded the silliness along with the site.

Last edited:

Byronic

First Post
Oohh, Mage. I want to see Porthos Fitzempress fight... whoevers the top mage in those parts.

I think any Hermetic would sell his manhood to be ported to DnD. Spell components are easier to find, no paradox. They can nicely go behind their little protection spells and scourge the landscape.

I could almost cry :D.

Ginnel

Explorer
I'll play my Super from M&M, based on Frank from that XB360 zombie game but with ultimate force control powers!! within a 5ft radius of him, automatically allowing him to deflect bullets and sword blows and lift trucks into the air, (this was a fairly low powered guy) but seriously it ain't gonna work, if you want to emulate take bless' and those laser cleric powers they started inventing in later additions.

Remove ads