• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Combat Playtest [FULL]

Halford

First Post
Ata I believe the Goristo actually gets a free swing on Brudd before he falls btw, thanks to Rageing Frenzy. Looks like he missed out on a fair few actually.

BTW can everyone please give me an IC shout if they need healing? I am trying to check the status to see if anyones in real trouble, but as Kozaar's fall demonstrates my perception check is dangerously low. :eek:

Victim

First Post
Why does Kozaar regain HP from making his death save? You can only spend a surge and gain back HP if you get 20 or higher on the save - 10-19 is no change.

Leif

Adventurer
Sharm can just charge instead of total D.

-------------------------

I'm talking about the combination of actions.

(Righteous Brand + buffed encounter THEN cleric encounter + fighter at will) is often greater than (cleric encounter + fighter encounter THEN Righteous Brand + fighter at will).
Wow, I go to sleep for a few hours and everything changes again! First, Victim, I have no idea what you mean by the message that I quote above. English, please sir, not that Fortran/cobol/or whatever that is.

Halford

First Post
I believe that what Victim is saying is that we would be better off if in the first round, or perhaps the first well positioned round if Brudd used an at will to begin in order to make Sharm's encounter/daily power more likely to hit.

The idea being that rather than expending his encounter and daily powers Brudd would be better off using his at will righteous brand in order to make Sharm's big hitter powers more likely to connect before throwing out his own big wallops.

He is right and we will try to go with that next time.

Leif

Adventurer
Sharm, on the other hand, probably needs to hit hard with his most devastating, extravagant powers first. Isn't that one of the lessons that we've learned here? Or have I totally missed the point?

Victim

First Post
Sharm isn't a dwarf, so his Second Wind is a standard action (ie, you can't use that and Crushing Surge without spending an AP).

----------------------------------

Sort of, yeah. Basically, most fights will involve at least some time spent using at wills unless you want to really heavy with Daily powers or standard action utilities. So if everyone is making at least a few at will uses, then results will usually be favorable if you match up your (assuming Sharm is getting the buff - it could easily be someone else) deadlier powers to Brudd's at wills, and then your at wills to his encounter attacks next round instead of both people throwing their encounters, and then both of you using at wills.

Or put things differently, receiving a big attack buff from Righteous Brand or Good Omens means that your devastating, extravagant is more likely to hit and then do its big damage. Just rushing things out without backup means that its more likely your attacks can be wasted.

OTOH, you probably can't wait to benefit from a buff using any major power, even if that would be the ideal circumstance.

Annalist

First Post
Maybe next encounter, Brudd can bust out a Hallowed Ground. Unless, of course, he's saving it for the finale. Does he have Bless?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads