• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 4e Conditions versus 3e -- What we know

loseth

First Post
I’m trying to get my head around the differences between 3e and 4e conditions. Do we know anything more than what I’ve listed below? Is any of my information inaccurate?

DEATH & DYING

-3e Disabled: only single move or standard, action causes loss of 1hp
-4e NOT IN 4e

-3e Dying: unconscious and deteriorates until reaching -10 unless stabilised
-4e Dying: unconscious and deteriorates until failing saving roll 3 times or reaching -bloodied hp unless stabilised

-3e Dead: game over until resurrected/raised/etc.
-4e NO CHANGE

SPECIAL

-3e Bloodied: NOT in 3e
-4e Bloodied: may trigger powers giving opponents an advantage, but also ones giving you an advantage

-3e Marked: NOT IN 3e
-4e Marked: -2 attack penalty and other effects when not attacking marking opponent

FEAR CONDITIONS

-3e Shaken: small penalty to attack and various other rolls
-4e ? [4e may not have specific fear conditions, but rather specific fear attacks that cause individual effects, such as being stunned, getting pushed back or suffering attack/defence penalties]

-3e Frightened: fleeing, or fighting if flight impossible; small penalty to attacks and other rolls
-4e ? [4e may not have specific fear conditions, but rather specific fear attacks that cause individual effects, such as being stunned, getting pushed back or suffering attack/defence penalties]

-3e Panicked: Fleeing, can’t attack and affected by small penalty to various rolls; cowering if flight impossible

-3e Turned: Fleeing or, if flight impossible, cowering
-4e Turning: Not a condition, but rather a sort of attack (?) [example reported by Satori5000 resulted in skeletons being pushed back and suffering damage]

-3e Cowering: Unable to take any actions and slightly easier to hit

NOT FEELING GOOD CONDITIONS

-3e Dazed: Totally unable to act, usually lasts 1 round
-4e Dazed: Grants combat advantage, can act only on own turn

-3e Dazzled: -1 attack & search/spot
-4e ?

-3e Enervated: NOT IN 3e (?)
-4e Enervated: attacks do ½ damage

-3e Exhausted: ½ speed and -6 to STR and DEX (= -3 penalty to STR/DEX stats)
-4e ?

-3e Fascinated: unable to act, but condition easily broken if attacked, helped by ally, etc.
-4e ?

-3e Fatigued: no running/charging, -2 to STR & DEX
-4e ?

-3e Helpless: cannot act, much easier to attack
-4e Helpless: cannot act, much easier to attack (though not quite same as 3e)

-3e Nauseated: limited to one move action per round
-4e ?

-3e On fire: Constant damage, roll save (exact stat varies) each round or (in some cases) spend a move action to end
-4e On fire: Constant damage, saving roll to end

-3e Poisoned: Continuing ability damage unless make FORT save
-4e Poisoned: Constant HP damage unless make a saving roll

-3e Prone: -4 to attacks, +4/-4 to ranged/melee AC
-4e Prone: -2 to attacks, +2/-2 to ranged/melee AC (?)

-3e Sickened: small penalty to most rolls
-4e ?

-3e Staggered: limited to 1 standard or move action per round
-4e Staggered: grants combat advantage, can’t move outside own turn and can only make basic attacks

-3e Stunned: totally inactive and slightly easier to hit
-4e Stunned: totally inactive and grants combat advantage

-3e unconscious: = helpless condition
-4e NO CHANGE (?)

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
With 4E dying you don't deteriorate in terms of losing hp; instead you roll a d20 each round, 1-9 is a strike, 3 strikes and you're out.

Cadfan

First Post
Also, "turned" isn't a condition. There is an effect called "turn undead," and it does things to undead as listed in its power description, but "turned" isn't a status effect anymore.

Carnivorous_Bean

First Post
hong said:
With 4E dying you don't deteriorate in terms of losing hp; instead you roll a d20 each round, 1-9 is a strike, 3 strikes and you're out.

Exactly. You're more at risk of death in 4e once you've reached negative hit points. Your fate is in the hands of the dice. :)

hong

WotC's bitch
"Bloodied" could also be considered a 4E not-feeling-good condition. You don't suffer penalties as such, but other people might get bonuses against you.

loseth

First Post
Good points hong, all modify the list. But IIRC dying characters do degrade through HP loss as well (i.e. if you keep getting hit, the negative HP keep accumulating until you reach negative bloodied, then you die), no?

jhouse

First Post
You may find that overall there are less (official) conditions in 4e. It seems the focus is to make descriptions of things be self-contained. In doing so, there may be very few official conditions but rather have an effect that's included in a description. Maybe this'll lead to some inconsistency, but it'll be much easier to handle in-game... And I like that.

Of course, I'm still looking forward to seeing how turning works in 4e.

Seule

Explorer
I believe, from the demo I played at DDXP, that prone gives a -2 to hit and AC. Basically, the same as 3e, but half the penalty.
I can't guarantee that though, it's just what our DM did.

--Penn

Satori5000

First Post
Turning is pretty cool. We ran a demo for 4e and the cleric was able to Turn Undead. Sure, they had to get within 2 squares. When you ready your action though to turn, its nice. I forced 3 skeletons back 5 squares away and did a good deal of damage.

Stalker0

Legend
While we don't know about any specific fear conditions in 4e, we do know the cause fear spell forces you to move away for 1 round, which provokes OAs.

Remove ads