[4e] [ePoL] Heroic Souls IC (R6 Heian > Monsters > Eldan&Champy > Quinn > Silvi > )

Graf

Explorer
Eldan has entered from one path as Quinn and Verulo appear in another.

Heian and Neeloo are in the middle, recovering from their respective ordeals.

[sblock=OOC -- Other Players?]If we get other players they will also be here, having been drawn by the same urges or forces that pulled the current PCs.[/sblock]

And there is a great creature here, bank of green mist shrouds it's bestial form but you can make out great clawed hands and feet and a mouth of fangs.

You each feel your hearts tugging frantically, a connection to each other that is subtle but strong.
[sblock=OOC "heart tugging"]Though it's not clear to most of your characters yet this heart tugging is a sort of reaction you have when you're near or in the presence of other heroic souls.

Even Kheelan, who was a heroic soul but is something else now, still has a residual connection to you.[/sblock]

A moment later the bank of mist disappears, and there is the sound of a brief scuffle; a fight you can hear but you can't see.

Then the creature, Kheelan, returns.
We'll you've gotten his attention now. Stand together. Here next to me. And not a sound from any of you if you value your skins.

[sblock=OOC]This is hideously railroady and I apologize. But after some feedback about the last version of this game being a bit too unfocused/hard to play I'm "pushing" the game forward.

So, by DM fiat, you do what Kheelan says and stand near him and don't make a sound.[/sblock]

You stand near the fey beast, and are engulfed by the great green cloud that surrounds him. The mist blocks your vision somewhat, but not nearly so much as you would expect.

A moment later a great voice booms out KHEELAN, I REQUEST AN AUDIENCE.

Of course, Kheelan has adopted a bored tone of voice.

There is a tremendous aggregation of shadows, which is quite impressive, filling your field of vision completely.

When the shadows disperse what remains behind is... less impressive. A short creature, in a black robe stands before you. It's perhaps three feet tall and holds a comically large staff in one hand. It's features and form are shadowed and difficult to make out, but you can see a pair of glowing red eyes with black diamonds in the depths of it's hood and the outline of goat-like legs sticking out from under it's robe.
[sblock=Eldan]
Redclaw has doubtlessly already figured this out but
This is the Geeche, who you saw strike down Karothen last night, and who wiped your memory of the incident until the statue restored it.[/sblock]

A rare personal visit. I'm honored.

You... DESTROYED one of my creatures. The little robed figure's voice is high, and a bit whiny.

Two. The fey rumbles.

What? The little figure seems taken aback.

I destroyed two of your creatures, my dear Geeche.

But why?

Kheelan sighs audibly, Because, as I explained last time, I am a lord of the fey now, and however small my domain may be I am not one to allow creatures to just rove about.

The Geeche seems to be starting carefully about and paying little attention to Kheelan. He gestures and in response a bunch of shadow creatures appear. Sliding from the errie shadows cast by nearby plants or even from beneath the little figure's robes. Some are worm-shaped, some are like cats with a dozen legs, some are stranger shapes, orbs with five symmetrical legs, or or clusters of floating ellipses. They all share one trait, one or more red eyes with black diamond pupils.
The same eyes as their master.
The creatures begin to peer animatedly about.

Kheelan lets out an exaggerated sigh and picks up one of the creatures, a sort of centipede with red eyes on both ends, making as though he is about to stuff it into his mouth.

Wait! WAIT! What are you doing? The Geeche howls.

The fey bends down, bringing his head to the level of the little shadow mage. What. Did. I. Just. Say?

The Geeche struggles for a moment. You're a fey lord now and uninvited creatures are your prey. But what does that have to do with...

Kheelan holds the squirming little shadow centipede in front of the Geeche's face. Did I give you permission to bring your little squirming minions in?

No... but... I have ENEMIES! The Geeche squeaks. Enemies everywhere. They seek me constantly. The little figure looks about as though it literally expects these enemies to be lurking under nearby toadstools. It makes an involuntary gesture and another dozen or so little shadow creatures crawl out from it's robes.

Please... the Geeche's tone alternates between pleading and wheedling. I will not be here for long, just a short chat between friends. We are friends aren't we? We've been friends for so long. And my enemies...

Yes yes. Your enemies...

Oh, very well. But only on account of our long friendship. And keep them out of my sight, they offend me.
Kheelan releases the little centipede.

The Geeche nods and makes quick gestures, within instants the creatures have slithered off away into the underbrush and the clearing is clear.

The Geeche paces anxiously in front of Kheelan (and you, hidden within Kheelan's cloud).
Have you... seen anyone today?

Of course. People wander in and out of my realm all the time. Children mostly.

This is bad... you need to stop them...

I need to stop them? Have I not suggested you close the gateways. No one would come through then...

I CAN'T. The Geeche's voice is pleading again. You know I can't do that.

Do I?

Yes. I've explained it to you so many times... The magic, it's very specific. It has to match, it has to be perfect....

Yes yes. A perfect reflection of the larger world, right here in this town.

Yes, exactly, perfect. Otherwise the... process... will be disrupted.

And you won't be able to capture the heroic souls when they're reborn.

The Geeche stops pacing and lets out a horrified gasp. I don't capture! I TEND! I PROTECT! Why, they'd be dead. This whole town wouldn't exist if not for my spells.

And yesterday? The Fixer?

The Geeche skuttles over to Kheelan fumbling around in the mist to try to get hold of the fey's massive arm. You MUST understand. I never wanted that to happen. He'd been gone for so long... I could never have predicted... and the Opener... an ANGEL... on the MATERIAL PLANE. The Geeche's voice rises higher and higher.

It's a VIOLATION. They would come for us for sure. There would be no stopping the INFERNAL HORDES. I had to ACT! the little figure has latched onto Kheelan's arm now and seems to be shaking.

Yes yes. Kheelan reaches out patting the little shadow figure on the shoulder and gently prying him from his arm. Obviously you had to do something. But kill him?

But he's NOT DEAD! The Geeche is practically wailing.

Not dead?

No, or not properly dead. I can't figure it out. And now, others have gone... STRANGE.

Well... maybe it's supposed to happen?

No. NO. We all agreed. We agreed that there would be no more. The cycle is broken, uncontroled these new souls.... they could wreck HAVOK! CHAOS! That was what we said. You said it. And I said it. And...

Yes yes...

We ALL AGREED! The Geeche is shrieking again.

Of course, we did.
The fey reaches out to gently pat the little shadow man. I was just asking a question.

Of course of course. I know. It's just... so... bothersome. And troublesome. And troubling. The Geeche squats on his haunches seemingly dejected.

Kheelan shifts to squat beside him. His tone is warm and pleasant. I have every confidence that you, my friend, will figure it out.

You do?

Of course. You're the smartest person I've ever met.

The Fixer is smarter than I am. He's done something I'm sure of it, he's fouled up my scrying.

You are even smarter than the Fixer.

But I'm sure he's done something, today I swear I felt the soul of our old master...

Kheezan's voice is warm and strong. Is this town, the spells you've woven around it, not the greatest magic the world has ever seen?

Well... The Geeche pushes at the ground with a little hoof.

Did you not save us, when everything seemed lost?

I suppose I did. The Geeche sounds suddenly hopeful, starting up at Kheezan with wide red eyes.

You will figure it out. Kheezan radiates warm confidence.

I... I think you're right... I WILL figure it out.

That's the spirit.

There is a long pause, and then the Geeche stares intently at the massive fey for a long minute.

You seem... bigger today.

Kheezan lets out a growling chuckle. My form continues to change as the magic takes it's course. I did not wish to say anything but you seem slightly... smaller.

The Geeche sighs, staring at a little clawed hand. I suppose so. I had hoped for something more... impressive.

You -are- impressive my friend.

I am?

Yes. The red eyes are quite... effective.

Oh, well. That's good I suppose. It's just, I'm so small now.

Not so small. Kheezan's tone is reassuring.

Oh... but

The eyes make you seem much bigger.

That's good. The Geeche seems much relieved.

We knew this would happen. We must grow and change to escape the curse.

You're right of course. I'm sorry to have taken up so much of your time. The shadow mage executes a little bow.

Not at all.

I'll keep my creatures out of your domain.

Please. They taste terrible. Kheezan lets out a warm chuckle.

And the Geeche laughs too. As sort of high-pitched giggle.

You'll tell me if... if you see anything strange?

You can count on me to always act in your best interests.

It's for the good of everyone, you know?

I know.

Shadows enfold the Geeche when they fade the little wizard is gone.

Kheezan lets out a sigh of relief and disperses the green cloud around you. I do not wish to try THAT again.

He looks at the assembled group. You will need to leave the town tonight. Now.

Whatever trickery blocks his scrying will not keep him from discovering you for long.

He'll be afraid to act directly if you are outside of town.

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
Eldan, his mind still racing to make sense of the what he had just witnessed, looks at the fey creature before him as if in a stupor. Leave town? Where would we go? There is only the town and then the forest, and we can't live there? I don't understand.

SarahRequiem

First Post
NeeLoo opens her eyes as the Geeche disappears. She let go of a silent gasp and holds on to Heian 's arm firmly. She looks around to see Eldan, Quinn and Verulo also standing there, with Kheelan.

"Kheelan? What is going on?" Why are we all here with you?" she asks, with a shy sleepy tone.

Atanatotatos

First Post
Heian feels a sudden resolve from within, and turns to the others standing tall, saying in a firm voic Yes! there is...something else! Let's leave now!

Voda Vosa

First Post
Quinn remained silent, still like a rock while the two creatures exchange their words. But his stillness and lack of movement and speak were banish after Heian suggestion.
He rose his finger, and started talking. "Wait, there are question that need answers! This man, Verulo said I was needed. Although I offered my help, heartily, I must ask reasons, I must ask, who was that creature, that summoned shadows, and banished at will, that who appears to mean harm to us. I suppose that, since you mist his eyes with this green could. The goat like one appears, although to be your friend, and still you deceive him, you fool his eyes so he can't see us here. I... I must know. We all should" Quinn finished, handling his right hand, quite nervous.

Graf

Explorer
SarahRequiem said:
NeeLoo opens her eyes as the Geeche disappears. She let go of a silent gasp and holds on to Heian 's arm firmly. She looks around to see Eldan, Quinn and Verulo also standing there, with Kheelan.

"Kheelan? What is going on?" Why are we all here with you?" she asks, with a shy sleepy tone.
The fey harrumphs quietly. Well..., as usual you've made a tremendous mess of things your ladyship.

[sblock=Neeloo]You have a brief flash of another of Shifting Bulwarks incarnations. A young fey knight in armor kneeling before you, and objecting to something you will do (or already did years ago.) in much the same tone.[/sblock]

Redclaw said:
Eldan, his mind still racing to make sense of the what he had just witnessed, looks at the fey creature before him as if in a stupor. Leave town? Where would we go? There is only the town and then the forest, and we can't live there? I don't understand.
You have not fully awoken then. But you will soon. Leaving the town will make it easier.

Atanatotatos said:
Heian feels a sudden resolve from within, and turns to the others standing tall, saying in a firm voic Yes! there is...something else! Let's leave now!
The boy is right. Things have been set in motion. I can feel it as well. That is surely part of what is alarming my old friend the Geeche.

Remaining will bring a conflict you can not hope to win.

Voda Vosa said:
"Wait, there are question that need answers! This man, Verulo said I was needed. Although I offered my help, heartily, I must ask reasons, I must ask, who was that creature, that summoned shadows, and banished at will, that who appears to mean harm to us. I suppose that, since you mist his eyes with this green could. The goat like one appears, although to be your friend, and still you deceive him, you fool his eyes so he can't see us here. I... I must know. We all should" Quinn finished, handling his right hand, quite nervous.
It is interesting to see you so young old master. Are you sure you do not remember your old apprentice?

[sblock=Quinn does remember something]You're an old dwarf, with skin as black as tar. Hovering serenely in the air.
There is a young boy, trying to hover next to you. He is good when he keeps his eyes closed, but he keeps opening them to look at you and when he does he loses concentration. Sinking and then overcompensating and rising up too high.
You feel yourself sigh mentally He is gifted, but his need for approval robs him of discipline.
Next to you the boy bobs up and down like a cork on rough seas.

[sblock=OOC]
Kurakree is the name of one of Karothen's old incarnations. For now, don't worry about it. He's just another one of your apprentices.
Karothen/Kurakree's heroic soul is called the Fixer

The unnamed halfling is, of course, a past incarnation of the Geeche.[/sblock]
You're an an old woman. An elf. A fat human man is helping you to your feet. But it is another, a halfling, who demands your attention, with his frenetic screeching.
Kurakree blocked my spells! I would have defeated dragon. If he hadn't interrupted me.
You try not to sigh. Always the same. You're too old for this. But you keep your face serene.
Yes. He did.
But... I saved you master. The boy looks so crestfallen. But you steel your heart. He must learn. If not in this life then maybe he will retain something in his next incarnation.
You did. And you saved Kurakree as well. And you cast your spells with skill and distracted the dragon.
But...
You clear your throat. The halfling stops and waits.
Did you notice anything about the dragon? Anything unusual?
There was... The boy screws up his face in thought.
I shouldn't call him boy, you think to yourself. He's already over fifty in this life. Old, bad habits.
"...an enchantment."
Indeed. Did you notice anything else?
No... The b... the halfling's face returns to it's miserable state.
You hate this part. But he must see, or he will not learn. Kurakree?
In addition to the enchantment the dragon's behavior was odd. It announced it's presence in advance, but did not parlay. That usually suggests it wishes to fight in earnest...
It almost killed our master!
It did not breath. A dragon will always lead with it's breath if it truly seeks battle. Kurakree cuts him off deftly.
The Fixer's incarnations are invariably smart, but this one is unusually suave and confident. A your sense of pride in his progress is tinged with a touch of foreboding.

They are looking to you with for resolution of the dispute. Always looking to you. Never handling things themselves.
You return your focus to the present. The future will come in time.

What happened when Kurakree sundered the magics around the dragon?

He dispelled my shadow beasts and freed it...
It was already...
You cut Kurakree off with a strong look.
And?
And the dragon fled... But I'd hurt it badly.
A dragon....
Kurakree! Allow him to finish. Too confident by far this incarnation.

But the halfling does not speak.
You worked very well together. You saved us, you look at the halfling And Kurakree may have won us a future ally. You find yourself beginning a lecture discussing their contributions. But they aren't listening, not really.

Maybe next life, you hear yourself think. Maybe next life they'll understand.[/sblock]

Last edited:

SarahRequiem

First Post
Graf said:
The fey harrumphs quietly. Well..., as usual you've made a tremendous mess of things your ladyship.

[sblock=Neeloo]You have a brief flash of another of Shifting Bulwarks incarnations. A young fey knight in armor kneeling before you, and objecting to something you will do (or already did years ago.) in much the same tone.[/sblock]

"W-what? I don't understand. Why am I seeing these things? What are you talking about, Kheelan?" Says NeeLoo, confused. Heian lets her get up on her feet and she takes a step toward Kneelan and brings her right hand to her chest.

"I'm confused... It is like I can see past, present and future. But it's all mixed up and I can't tell what is now or then..."

Graf

Explorer
Khazeen leans forward bringing it's head down to Neeloo's level.

It is surprising you do not remember more. Or perhaps it is not. You have been reunited with your true soul, the heroic self that remembers all of your past lives. Or should.

The fey seems to pick his words with extreme care. In the days of yore being possessed, if that is the right word, by your heroic soul would have made you a power in your own right, second only to the gods and the mighty creatures of the world such as dragons.

But the sundering rituals have worked, we are truly free of the past. This is a good thing. My little friend, the Geeche, was right. Should you, as mortals, fully recall the events of the past we would be in violation of the Last Oath. And, potentially, all of creation would be in jeopardy.

Atanatotatos

First Post
Heian looks intensely at the creature in front of him, then looks ah Neeloo at his side, puts a reassuring hand on her shoulder, then decides: Show us the way, ...Khazeen. You can explain what's happening on the way

Redclaw

First Post
Eldan is torn. Everything in his soul tells him that this is what he has been waiting for, and he can feel it reaching out to those around him, sharing something that it has waited centuries to share again. However, there is still the family, especially Jeilla.

"You will stay here?" he asks the fey creature before them. "Will you look after my cousin? She is being watched by the Geeche. I can't leave her to face him alone, but if you promise to keep her safe..."

Remove ads