D&D 4E 4E Exotic Weapons?

Stogoe

First Post
A katana is exotic because the developers thought it* was too powerful to be a martial one-handed weapon.

That is all.

*EDIT: I mean, of course, the stats that they gave the katana.

ZappoHisbane

First Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the spiked chain is likely to be back, if only in the Monster Manual:

ShadarKai_Assassin.jpg

This of course is from the Desert of Desolation Minatures gallery. It's been stated that all but one of the figures in this set represent 4e monsters/characters. So there's only a 1/60 chance that Spiked Chains are gone. Don't hold your breath.

Ahglock

First Post
ZappoHisbane said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the spiked chain is likely to be back, if only in the Monster Manual:

ShadarKai_Assassin.jpg

This of course is from the Desert of Desolation Minatures gallery. It's been stated that all but one of the figures in this set represent 4e monsters/characters. So there's only a 1/60 chance that Spiked Chains are gone. Don't hold your breath.

That doesn't look that bad though, that looks like a chain with a dagger like spike on the end, not a spike lined chain. I liked the mechanics and concept behind a lot of exotic weapons they had some really bad art behind them though.

The dire flail one railed against for its improbability could probably pass the probability test if it was nearly a full sized staff with a short chain flail at each end.

pawsplay

Hero
Ahglock said:
That doesn't look that bad though, that looks like a chain with a dagger like spike on the end, not a spike lined chain. I liked the mechanics and concept behind a lot of exotic weapons they had some really bad art behind them though.

The dire flail one railed against for its improbability could probably pass the probability test if it was nearly a full sized staff with a short chain flail at each end.

Even then, it would be a terrible weapon. Slow to start and stop, you would have to wrestle gyroscopic forces to aim it, and it would be all offense, little or no defense. But you could not depend on your allies to defend you, either.

ZappoHisbane

First Post
pawsplay said:
Even then, it would be a terrible weapon. Slow to start and stop, you would have to wrestle gyroscopic forces to aim it, and it would be all offense, little or no defense. But you could not depend on your allies to defend you, either.

I don't know, I think it might have a place in the 4e concept of battlefield control. You don't have to defend yourself if no one can get close to you. Of course it's not historically accurate but if we look at sources like Kill Bill, God of War and Heavenly Sword, this kind of weapon *is* viable.

Ahglock

First Post
pawsplay said:

Since I don't want this thread to devolve into one of those my Kung Fu is strong and I know weapons threads already, I'll just say OK. But even with what you say, that is kind of what I think an exotic weapons proficiency entails. On its face a kind of sucky weapon, but with the right training you learn how to manipulate its flaws into strengths.

Gloombunny

First Post
Firevalkyrie said:
The knight's arming sword, the pattern for the D&D longsword, had both one-handed and two-handed techniques. Does that make the longsword an "exotic weapon" then?
Yeah, D&D's rules already let you wield a one-handed weapon in both hands for extra damage, so there's really no need to give a bastard sword special stats in the first place.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Races and Classes depicts a tiefling fighter wielding what looks like a double-sword. The shaft is noticeably longer than the 3e double-sword and the blades at each end are shorter.

Gloombunny

First Post
Campbell said:
Races and Classes depicts a tiefling fighter wielding what looks like a double-sword. The shaft is noticeably longer than the 3e double-sword and the blades at each end are shorter.
Well, that's not bad. Double-sword is a dumb idea, but double-spear isn't so unreasonable.

Remove ads