D&D 4E 4E Hack: "Fiction First" Playtest

Natespank

First Post
Hey, Natespank from the Forge. Mind if I ask a few questions about your game? I'd like to steal a lot of your ideas... I'm really enjoying your hack so far!

My first question is about the PC hit points by level table, and that whole part of the Skills Combat section. You've replaced monster stats with level-based stats, and hit points with another form of hit points? It looks like most early-game monsters die in 2 hits, period. Am I missing the mark?

You said there might be a more up-to-date version of the hack somewhere?

Natespank

First Post
The most up-to-date copy is in a .txt file on my PC, and it's missing some other rules (which are in separate files). Hmm, one of my players made a rough edit of the rules. I think I'll update the first post with that copy. That's still behind the times but only by a few months.

love to read it.

May I attempt to analyze your hack in a few ways, and you can correct me as I go?

1- biggest reward system is social and regards investment into the setting (settlements) and payoffs to the PC. The rules for settlements arose for that purpose, as did a few other rules.
2- reducing healing surge regain to 1/full day's rest encourages PCs to travel strategically. The lack of treasure on wandering monsters makes combat undesirable therefore- the PCs need to sneak around and pick their fights to avoid from becoming "spent." Adds a layer of gameplay.
3- Requiring role playing in the regeneration of dailies integrates the PC into the setting. 2&3 together force the otherwise mighty PCs to rely on the towns- a symbiotic relationship.
4- Replacing skills with backgrounds implies character background- therefore, it's nearly impossible to create and play a character without him/her having a history and personality.
5- Random character generation makes skill in-game >>> skill in character building/shopping.
6- Random encounters/terrain makes it run more as a game with a functioning engine. Ideally, this "engine" would be sufficient to run the game with only the help of the DM. Also ensures the DM's neutrality and fairness.
7- Full world encourages exploration and problem solving.
8- Dieties given roles in the world- thus, another useless game feature is transformed into a game feature that affects gameplay. Ie, that jerk filling up dungeons, or priests not cooperating across domains.

Did I hit the main points? Wrong? Anything significant I missed?

Natespank

First Post
2 - Yep. Consider, however, that you can also regain Healing Surges by performing the ritual Blood Sacrifice.

I just read blood sacrifice.

Do you have any idea what my group would do with a ritual like that? They'd carry around a slave train of goblins or halflings on their pirate ship and spend every voyage between islands sacrificing stuff with the efficiency of a modern slaughterhouse. They'd powergame it to hell- it would be profoundly evil.

Which I strongly enjoy- however, not quite how I'd like it to work in my (current) campaign!

Remove ads