D&D 4E 4E Hack: "Fiction First" Playtest

pemerton

Legend
LostSoul, thanks for the reply! And keep posting in this thread - it's interesting stuff. I like your skills, and I'm intrigued by your skill/hits combat.

PC death is not exactly failure since the actions you made still have an impact on the game and the future choices you make.
Is this referring to the fact that the new PCs are coming back into the same gameworld and game situation (which includes the fate of the defeated PCs), or that the players have knowledge gained from what happened to the earlier PCs, or both, or something else?

two_fishes

Explorer
Interesting read! Going through the playtest doc something that strikes me right away is that PCs are at a serious disadvantage while in the wilderness--no refresh on their dailies and surges come back at a much slower rate than vanilla. Meanwhile the opposition is ramped up--8 wandering monster checks per 24 hr period, plus during short rests! Are the PCs expected to make only brief "day-trips" into dungeons & wilderness. That said, I like requiring interaction w. the world to refresh dailies.

two_fishes

Explorer
I like the decision to turn the wandering monster into the masked figures. To some degree it could be seen as going easy on the PC--a combat encounter probably would have finished him, but it also coloured the campaign world in a nice way and raises questions (why did they follow him? just who are they? what do they really want?)

I'm really interested in seeing how these rules play out in the long term--ie what happens in the world, and what the rules imply about what is going on in the world. Question: in your mind, is the world recovering or is it dying?

What happens to a hex if Trouble is left unchecked? Does it fall under the influence of Torog?

Nitpick: Hey, why do roads matter to flying units?

The idea of PCs and their henchmen seems to be leaning toward a "troupe"-style play. Have you looked at the way ARS Magica handles that?

Skills - how many are PCs allowed to have?

I'm looking at the Hexcrawl generator. You used Nentir Vale from the DMG, obviously? How did you square the random generator with the features that are already there? Things like how the Random Generator can create settlements, but the map already has a few.

There are two tables for Content, the one containing "Terrain Feature, Resource/Settlement, Ruins, etc...", and the one containing, "Artefact, Gate, Map, etc..." When is the second chart rolled? I have been rolling for each of the listed features in the second chart each time I got a 75+ on the first chart.

Speaking of the second chart, what exactly do you mean by "Tricks"? How are tricks different from traps?

Remove ads