[4e] IG's The Witchlight Strand [OOC]

industrygothica

Adventurer
The mysterious Witchlights hang in the horizon as a blazing cargo ship crashes into the docks of Port Magalie. A lone barbarian stands tall on the crumbling vessel, pushing back a horde of goblins fighting to get off the ship. A haphazard team of adventurers, previously unknown to each other, quickly band together and aid the barbarian in ridding the goblin menace and the burning ship quickly turns to flotsam.

Upon questioning from the City Officials, Kail recounts the tale of Lolgoff, the Barbarian King. Lolgoff slayed a dragon, but did not escape injury himself--injuries that now threaten his own life. Through Lolgoff's reign, the barbarian tribes of Hallowdale have acted as a shield between the wild lands and the civilized coastal cities of the Witchlight Strand. Now that his reign is uncertain, so are the relations with Port Magalie.

Kail explains that it is tradition that, upon the death of their king, the various barbarian tribes will war amongst themselves until a new king is crowned the victor, and his tribe ranked above all others.

The City Officials have asked you to make the journey to Hallowdale as emissaries of Port Magalie, not to intervene in the barbarian traditions, but to be there to welcome the new king, and to secure Port Magalie's good relations.

Kail himself has denied the journey, and asks only that you place one of his arrows across the grave of his fallen king.

This game is an enhancement to the Cartographers' Guild's Cooperative World Building Project. Please click the links for details on the world of Ansium.

We are porting to EN World from the game's previous site for technical reasons. The current characters are:

Vatan, a human fighter
Aridha, an elven druid
Duthruss, a dwarven rogue
Pier, a human wizard
Jude, a human fighter
HolyMan, a human cleric

*Current Recruitment*
None currently

As far as posing guidelines, I'm not picky. Just be advised that this will be a fairly slow-paced game. I do ask that you check your spelling and grammar, if at all possible; it sometimes gets a bit difficult to decipher things that appear to have been written by a second-grader. Unless you are a second-grader, of course, in which case we'll talk about an exception. ;)

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm...unusual premise, could be interesting. And I can totally deal with slow paced. :)

What sort of sources are allowed, and what's the starting level?

renau1g

First Post
An IG Game? Awesome. I'm definitely interested. Would a barbarian make sense in this scenario? Perhaps his tribe was destroyed and he escaped the bloodshed... heading back to his people as both shamed and interested to learn about their ways.

industrygothica

Adventurer
These are first level characters. There's only been one combat encounter thus far, so even the original players are still green. Any legal build from the latest version of the Character Builder is fine--as long as I can plug it in and everything comes out good.

A barbarian would work fine, especially a human one with a creative history.

Another thing about the Witchlight Strand that I forgot to mention concerns races. The most common races are human and halfling. Elves comes in a close third. Dwarves are rare but not completely foreign--just ask Druthruss--as are gnomes and half-orcs (though most half-orcs here favor the orcish side). Deva and dragonborn would probably be poked, probed, and dissected for scientific reasons. The jury is still out on goliaths.

-IG

Theroc

First Post
If room opens up, give me a holler, I'd be interested in trying 4E a bit more. I don't have a solid build up, but I'd be using things from the PHB and PHB2 only, so it should clear through the Character Builder fine(though I don't actually have it myself).

Just marking my interest as I've seen two volunteers already, I'm volunteering as a reserve. Hope that's not an issue.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Drůthruss reporting for duty...

Pier checking in.

Excellent. We'll give it about a week for everyone else to join us. After that, we'll finish up recruiting and get moving. Sound good?

For anyone else interested, I strongly encourage you to visit the CWBP site linked in the first post. You should look at all of it, but being that this game takes place in the Witchlight Strand, you should definitely take a look there to get a bit of background on the area. One thing you'll note is that the barbarian villages of Hallowdale are not detailed in that write-up. I created Hallowdale for the purpose of this game, as well as the town of Hania. I expect that the longer we play, the more the Witchlight Strand and the region of Ansium will grow. Which is kind of the point, really.

-IG

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Interesting still...

I've some ideas I'd like to try. How open to you are some of those weird races you mentioned, like deva, etc? It might be fun to play some kind of unique or close to unique thing...the result of a magical experiment perhaps, or very unusual natural or supernatural phenomena.

Otherwise, I could be quite happy with an elf druid, I think. :)

industrygothica

Adventurer
Interesting still...

I've some ideas I'd like to try. How open to you are some of those weird races you mentioned, like deva, etc? It might be fun to play some kind of unique or close to unique thing...the result of a magical experiment perhaps, or very unusual natural or supernatural phenomena.

Otherwise, I could be quite happy with an elf druid, I think. :)

I'd be more open to Deva than Dragonborn, I think. Dragonborn just irk me.

An elf or eladrin druid would fit in perfectly in this setting, however. Especially one from the Liaglades, the elves of which have a sort of pact with the humans of Port Magalie, and a vested interest in keeping the savage races at bay.

Remove ads