• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E is for casuals, D&D is d0med

Testament

First Post
sinecure said:
Actually, the weren't. And more importantly, neither is D&D. Let's just call this Major Fallacy #2. Another one en vogue at the moment. D&D is about being a hero.

Ah, so killing the EVIL monsters and taking their stuff. Gotcha.

Not trying to be obnoxious, just trying to get my point across. I don't know what you meant if you actually believe RPG rules have no role in regards to roleplaying. That's Major Fallacy #1 again. (known in indie circles as system doesn't matter) And yes, all the editions of D&D are roleplaying games. It just so happens 4e places the least priority in its rules on roleplay.

Does roleplay need rules? How does a system encourage roleplaying in terms of character interaction? Creating rules for it, more often than not, just leads back to the hideous argument about rules DISCOURAGING roleplaying (Diplomacy skill, I'm looking at you again...)

I am 100% on board as a commercial endeavor. Miniatures simply make more profit. As to what makes a good roleplaying game, DDM repeatedly removes one from behaving in character throughout play. (Not good for an RPG)

You have got to be kidding me. Dice or any kind of physical object at that point as an action resolution mechanic at that point are badwrongfun are they, since they remove you from behaving in character? See, I can be a reductionist too.

And honestly, what is this adventure doing making encounters for DMs? It's like it is telling them to railroad the PCs. Modules are fluid. You can't predict who will be where during design, before play even begins. Old designs didn't fall into this trap. As if the world doesn't change depending on the PCs actions. Sheesh.

That's why there's a GM last time I checked, to change the flow and course of things. And if an adventure isn't supposed to provide encounters, then what is it supposed to do? Last time I checked, a dungeon of any kind is an adventure flowchart designed for the exclusive purpose of funelling players into the required area/events.

Tomb of Horrors is also widely regarded as one of the shining examples of adventure design for high level play. That high level adventures have turned into the worst designs as of late bodes poorly for the hobby. You really should take a look at it again. Only the best players will be able to beat it. I'm afraid your opinion may be clouding your judgement, but as it is so central to the core philosophy of D&D, I can't understand how you could hate it and yet enjoy this game.

I have taken a look at it, indeed I ran it under 1E rules (thank god I know some old gamers who own the relevant books) and made my players sign a waiver not to be angry at me or hurt me when they got killed again.

In terms of design its a good example of using non-combat challenges, and that's about it. I fail to see how its central to the core philosophy of D&D though, when in terms of implementation of that design its a steaming pile of highly radioactive, sarin-gas emitting feces. Indeed, the prospect of it EVER being central scares me and makes me glad I started with 3E. The sheer arbitrary nature of the encounters offends me in so many ways as both a player and a GM that I'm bewildered as to how anyone could possibly think it ever was a good adventure. You chose B in this situation out of A-Q? You're dead. You stood on tile 4 of 287? Dead, and so is he.

Mallus

Legend
sinecure said:
Let me back off from my D&D is not a RPG cheese.
Good move.

It's a RPG, just one putting a very low priority on RP in comparison to others.
1) Which ones, and are any of them earlier editions of D&D, because my first thought was "Pendragon?"

2) What's your (concise) definition of RP?

As you go back in time this has not been the case.
Right... some modules were a series of loosely-linked deathtrap puzzles solved by something I'll charitable label as "AD&D Tournament-Module Logic".

Last edited:

Heselbine

Explorer
sinecure said:
Let me back off from my D&D is not a RPG cheese. It's a RPG, just one putting a very low priority on RP in comparison to others. I still believe the majority of play in KotS is DDM scenarios loosely interlinked by some town and character description. As you go back in time this has not been the case.
Let's have a look at some historically important D&D scenarios. I'll concentrate on the ones I'm familiar with, because...those are the ones I'm familiar with.

1st edition: T1/Village of Hommlet. A bit of a wander around a village as a prelude to a small dungeon. Reasonable opportunities for role-playing in the village. Very little plot. Dungeon a bit lacking in interest, lots of straightforward fights.

2nd edition: the introductory adventure from the Forgotten Realms boxed set. A bit of a wander around a village as a prelude to a small dungeon. If anything, fewer opportunities for role-playing in the village. Virtually no plot, and what there was made no sense. Dungeon a bit more interesting, but difficult to avoid a TPK if you followed it as written.

3rd edition: Sunless Citadel. Virtually nothing before the dungeon. Straight into the killing-monsters-and-getting-their-stuff. A pretty good dungeon, in many ways, a fair bit of variation. And Meepo! Which is about all the role-playing that the module gives you.

4th edition: KotS. Introductory action, followed by a bit of a wander around a village as a prelude to a variety of encounters. Some plot development. Several different locations. Lots of tactical variation in the fights. But still, let's face it, not a great deal of role-playing.

What does this tell us? Pretty much that the ethos of the game has been the same over the four editions. It's always been kill-the-monsters-take-their-stuff with some story elements and roleplaying thrown in. If you want deep immersive role-play D&D has never been your game. I'm very surprised by comments suggesting 4e is different in this regard.

sinecure

First Post
Majoru Oakheart said:
Major SNIP
It sounds like you have had a fun time playing D&D. I'm glad the game offered you the fun you have had, but I'm doubly glad it offered my friends and I the kinds of fun we had. 4E simply fails in most respects for us. I'll take your experiences as a given and just say they have not been like that for us. We spend only about 20% in combat. The rest is a mix of character play, planning, and exploration. I don't mean any disrespect here, but we call what you describe in your meat response "beginner play". We spend a lot of time figuring out how to win - whatever that challenge may be. Sometimes it is combat, some times problem solving, sometimes roleplaying intelligently, sometimes just making the right decisions.

4e has compiled nearly all of these elements into single and complex skill roles. Let me tell you, they are vastly unsatisfactory. And that they don't include such challenges in their adventures just tells me they have no desire for the game to be more than combat scenario after combat scenario. It's like they've taken Orc & Pie as a legitimate adventure design philosophy. Tell you what. If you want, I can set aside some time and collect a list of things I can think of they deliberately left out.

Again, I'm not trying to diss your play here. We just do things differently in 2e.

hong said:
Dude, I apologize. I thought, you're Hong, I bet he's being Hong. (joshing me)

Nonsense. Thinking out of character is central to certain definitions of roleplaying. And I like peanut butter.
Non sequitur? Would this be the definition of roleplaying derivative from the acting school wherein the best actors DO NOT act in character, but deliberately unlike their character?

In operational terms, yes, they most certainly were.

... which generally tends to mean killing monsters and taking their stuff, especially when you come to published modules.
Operationally, we are on very different paths. Operationally, D&D used to support multiple different ways of doing things. Now they seem to be focused on one which seems to fit you nicely, but many others rather poorly.

To be precise, it is widely regarded as one of the shining examples of _bad_ adventure design.

See, if you didn't think of roleplaying solely in terms of "beating the dungeon", life would be much simpler.
Again, we seem to be on very different sides of the coin. ToH is a contentious design philosophy in D&D. The original is just too tough. Gygax did that time and again. He'd put out adventures for highly seasoned vets as the first adventure after making a new RPG. See Dangerous Journeys and Necropolis for example. It's another great tomb and trap adventure that puts new players way out of their depth.

But to beat either you need to change the way you play.

Let me state, I like playing kick in the door occasionally. I like that 2E offers this option to me. I like even more that I can play all kinds of ways using the same rules during the same session. I prefer less monotone play.

Last edited:

RabidBob

First Post
WizarDru said:
After playing 3e/3.5e weekly for, what, 8 years now? We STILL have to go check the books for stuff like grapples, coup de graces, dispels and other such wonky stuff. It's not hard, but it's counter-intuitive to rules mastery. 4e seems to alleviate that, so we'll go with it.

For me, an RPG's best utility is to provide a framework without getting in the way. 4e appears to do that for me more than previous games. I had fun in AD&D. I had fun in Basic. I had fun in GURPS. I had fun in Talislanta. I had fun in 3.X. And I expect to have fun in 4e.

This is the most sensible thing I've read all week. Anywhere. +1 Internets for you sir.

hong

WotC's bitch
sinecure said:
Non sequitur? Would this be the definition of roleplaying derivative from the acting school wherein the best actors DO NOT act in character, but deliberately unlike their character?

No, it means that the character's actions are informed by such things as: what does the group want; what genre are we playing in; what can I do to move the storyline forward; and so on. Things which are pertinent to the player, but not the character.

Operationally, we are on very different paths. Operationally, D&D used to support multiple different ways of doing things. Now they seem to be focused on one which seems to fit you nicely, but many others rather poorly.

4E provides just as much, if not more, support for doing things out of combat as previous editions. The only thing it doesn't support is deliberately choosing to suck. To which I say, if you want to suck, you can always not roll the dice.

sinecure

First Post
Testament said:
Ah, so killing the EVIL monsters and taking their stuff. Gotcha.
Funny. Why be so diminutive about D&D. It's a great game. You don't have to discount it. The philosophy your repeating came from a community of people who bitterly hate the game. Would you be so dismissive about life by saying it's only about staying alive?

Does roleplay need rules?
Nope, the DM needs rules to make a persistently believable world. The players don't need rules at all.

How does a system encourage roleplaying in terms of character interaction?
The ones I like simply get out of the way and are best thought of as "the way the world works" instead of mechanics. Others are metagamey and tend to be situational setups. For instance, many indie games are single situations for players to solve in their own way. Other kinds of roleplaying games, like Model U.N., have different ends, but preset goals for all or particular individuals.

As you know, a combat system isn't required for an RPG. It's just needed for ones where combat might happen. The current 4e rules are poorly designed for use as an RPG-combat system because they require one to stop roleplaying to play it. That it also happens to be the majority of the rules of 4E bodes ill for the game as a whole.

Creating rules for it, more often than not, just leads back to the hideous argument about rules DISCOURAGING roleplaying (Diplomacy skill, I'm looking at you again...)
Read my examples above again. Diplomacy isn't required for D&D, it's a 3.x thing and sucky IMO. A basic character reaction roll modified by a DM judging your performance works a ton better for my games. (yes, you need to trust your DM)

You have got to be kidding me. Dice or any kind of physical object at that point as an action resolution mechanic at that point are badwrongfun are they, since they remove you from behaving in character? See, I can be a reductionist too.
Dude, players rolling dice are making a choice in character to attempt something. The actual random result of the dice is for the DM. If dice aren't cool for you, then the DM can roll for you. (or LARPS which don't use player seen conflict resolution)

That's why there's a GM last time I checked, to change the flow and course of things. And if an adventure isn't supposed to provide encounters, then what is it supposed to do? Last time I checked, a dungeon of any kind is an adventure flowchart designed for the exclusive purpose of funnelling players into the required area/events.
Only the railroading dungeon designs which have become popular in the last 10 years or so. Most traditional dungeons are intertwining mazes of tricks, traps, monsters, and treasure. And the goals are decided upon by the players to give them more freedom. This isn't an edition problem though. Just lousy adventure design by Wizards. Goodman does fairly well if you're looking to buy.

I have taken a look at it, indeed I ran it under 1E rules (thank god I know some old gamers who own the relevant books) and made my players sign a waiver not to be angry at me or hurt me when they got killed again.

In terms of design its a good example of using non-combat challenges, and that's about it. I fail to see how its central to the core philosophy of D&D though, when in terms of implementation of that design its a steaming pile of highly radioactive, sarin-gas emitting feces. Indeed, the prospect of it EVER being central scares me and makes me glad I started with 3E. The sheer arbitrary nature of the encounters offends me in so many ways as both a player and a GM that I'm bewildered as to how anyone could possibly think it ever was a good adventure. You chose B in this situation out of A-Q? You're dead. You stood on tile 4 of 287? Dead, and so is he.
It's a good example of what is D&D because it forces players to think outside of the box to win. They can't kick in the door and expect an adventure to be suitably easy to beat with a couple of swings. Heck, the game gets extraordinarily dull if you play that way IMO. It's just hack and slash. It's all the dozens of ways each of those trap-like situations could be solved. Or sidestepped. Or utilized to remove another trap. Or reveal through design a clue about another encounter. It's a difficult read if you aren't thinking how to beat it or that each is like a riddle in it's way with more than one answer. It's better to see veterans attempt it. If you just read it without seeing the challenges or how they can be beaten, it looks like an arbitrary meatgrinder. Which it's not. It can be beat with 1st level PCs. (though you really can't resort to violence then)

It really was poor timing to publish so early though. Too hard of a riddle-like adventure too early.

But they've brought riddles back in 4e. That's good!

Mallus said:
1) Which ones, and are any of them earlier editions of D&D, because my first thought was "Pendragon?"

2) What's your (concise) definition of RP?
1. By which ones I mean pretty much all of the ones ever published under the name roleplaying game. But to be honest I don't include computer games calling themselves RPGs. You're call really. To me it's more of an RPG than any of those.
2. Never really thought about it. A game that has roleplaying as its #1 priority? That would work for me. Though I think D&D traditionally has teambuilding as it's #1 priority, but as such brings it about by placing folks in-character in situations where they have to work as a team or lose. I think winning and losing is a big part of it where normal roleplaying games don't really need that. IMO winning and losing is one of the things at D&D's heart.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
sinecure said:
Funny. Why be so diminutive about D&D. It's a great game. You don't have to discount it. The philosophy your repeating came from a community of people who bitterly hate the game. Would you be so dismissive about life by saying it's only about staying alive?

You make killing monsters and taking their stuff sound like it's a negative thing.

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Majoru Oakheart said:
<snip>

4e seems to be an attempt to find a happy medium between 2e(full of holes in the rules and rather boring to run combats in but very easy to run and understand) and 3e(lots of interesting options, but there is a rule for EVERYTHING and you needed to know them all to be good at the game)

4e has not found that happy medium. Instead, it is a game that could be mistaken for a video game, where everyone has KEWL POWERZ and there are no consequences for anything (being turned to stone by a medua only lasts until combat is over, please.), everything has to be cool every single level, everyone has to do something heroic every round. There's no ramp up in power, you start off powerfully. There's no coherence in the world around the PCs.

4e has destroyed D&D. It's not popular to say that but it is true. The designers took a great legacy and destroyed it. Kudos to them for garnering high sales for raping (yes raping) a once great game.

Remove ads