• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Miniatures

I'm building some 3D dungeons and outdoor scenes. Tokens would kind of detract from that.

Hawkeye
Well then, WotC's minis are probably your best option, if tokens aren't good for you. By my count, WotC's current line of minis (aka DDM, through all of its incarnations since 2003) has produced approximately 1300 different sculpts, all official. They're also probably the best dollar-value line of minis available, especially when you factor in the accuracy of the depictions. You can get a full selection of the minis you need via eBay -- there's lots of good sellers on there, some cheaper than others. That said, when you go with minis, in the long run you can expect to pay a ton of money for some plastic figurines you'll barely ever use. (This is especially true for rare creatures like dragons, beholders, or chimeras, for example.) The cost/use ratio even for these minis is what convinced me to switch to tokens.

Hawkeye

First Post
That's why I am trying to find singles, so I am not stuck with tons of minis I may or hardly ever use. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Hawkeye

Festivus

First Post
If you are not opposed to tokens, check out the collection from Firey Dragon (spelling and product name I can't quite recall... Klaus will no doubt jump in and correct me here)

I will recommend RPG Locker. Oryan77 is a poster around these parts, and I have only had positive experiences with buying from him.

I will second (third?) Auggies as well. Great store and the best prices IMO.

For cheap alternatives to dragonborn, try the Greenspawn zealot or a Kapak (or is it Bozak) Draconian. Or you can wait a month and get a Heroscape Dragonborn with a base that fits D&D. Auggis has them for ~$2.5.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hey, I'm DMing the H1, H2 Modules in my game up here in -dreary, depressing- Scotland with little access to anything D&D. All of my stuff has to be bought over the internet and minis are terribly expensive.

I was hoping someone could give me good ideas for alternative minis, I'm considering using chess pieces for some, but I was wondering if there are any obvious alternatives I'm missing.

(P.S. I have PCs from a D&D board game I received some years ago, so that's all good and well)

Look online for inexpensive, out of print fantasy wargames. They'll have cardboard chits with illustrations on them that will be easily recognizable as one character or another. The Fantasy Trip is probably the largest set...but is so iconically good & popular that its also a killer on price.buy "melee" the fantasy trip wizard - Google Product Search

However, Dark City Games uses much the same system...and in their download section, they have SJG-style paper/cardboard pieces in color, such as these.

In addition, the aforementioned Steve Jackson Games still produces Cardboard Heroes.

Barring that? There's nothing wrong with using coins, flat-bottomed glass beads (found in craft stores' plant arrangement sections), or even pieces from your own board games...or those purchased as "replacements." Notice that since there is a RISK LotR game, you can get all kinds of replacement pieces for IT that would fit right in on a RPG battlemat. (See also http://boardgames.about.com/cs/shoppingparts/ht/find_parts.htm .)

You can also use things like DDM or HeroClix minis, and of course, Heroscape minis.

raavek

First Post
I got into D&D 4th due to being a wargamer in a previous dorky geeky past-time. I have a bunch of WH40K Orkz, Tyranids and Kroot (Tau) that I use quite a bit, as well as a bunch of Warmachine/Horde's figs. I just tell my players that the Orkz don't have guns and suspend belief a bit (let's be real, we are playing D&D)

Since you are building 3d terrain for your group, mayhap get a decent collection of figs and try your hand at painting them. (I go almost zen when I get down and dirty with painting mine)

Figuring since you are making the terrain for a truly spectacular fight, having beautiful hand painted figs just makes it all the better.

Unless you plan on making terrain for EVERY fight, then God have mercy on your soul lol

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'm still looking for a Deva Avenger. Any bald, tall humanoids in 'cloth armor' wielding two-handed swords? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :rant:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm still looking for a Deva Avenger. Any bald, tall humanoids in 'cloth armor' wielding two-handed swords?

I actually have some like that, but he's definitely no Deva- one's more a barbaric thug of a human. And most of the lightly armored big-sword minis I know of are very "barbarian-y"...while the bald guys tend to have nifty armor.

However, you might have luck looking for "other than bald guys."

For instance, I have an oooooooold mini of a hooded, cloaked figure with a 2Hd sword almost as tall as he is. You cannot tell what race he is. You cannot tell what kind of armor he's wearing. So, look for assassins, ninjas, etc.

Here's some I found at Reaper (yeah, I know that they're not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe...):

Reaper Miniatures :: FigureFinder