• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Modern: My Initial Ideas (work in progress)

Mentat55

First Post
Inspired by this thread and the 4th Power Project at Critical-Hits.com, as well as by the leaner design of Gamma World, I've decided to give a 4th edition take on d20 Modern a try.

My thoughts can be briefly summarized:
  • Use the Strong/Tough/Fast/Smart/Dedicated/Charismatic Hero framework from d20 Modern for the hero classes
  • Dispense with the 4e roles
  • Model occupations on Dark Sun's themes
  • Use some of Gamma World's simplified mechanics, like no healing surges, adding level (instead of 1/2 level) to attacks and checks, and simplified rules for weapons (all the other details are window dressing)
  • Make it a 10-level game, like Gamma World
  • Make all powers utility powers, for the most part, with (hopefully) both non-combat and combat uses
  • Have something like a level 1/3/5/7/9 power progression. Perhaps include a level 10 capstone ability?
  • Expand the skill list
  • Simplified, less feat-intensive multiclassing

I've cobbled together a first draft of the six hero classes. I don't have the powers yet; right now, I just have the nuts and bolts (HP, skills, class features), including an encounter power class feature for each. They are more or less modeled on the d20 classes, in some cases using the same names. I've largely not cared about balance, instead focusing on getting a starting point for each class. My thoughts, moving forward, are to generate powers for both classes and a few core occupations.

I've attached a PDF with the classes, I would love to get feedback and assistance in improving them, designing occupations, and making powers.

Attachments

• 4E Modern Hero Classes.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 138

invokethehojo

First Post
Don't have time to read your PDF at the moment, but this is something my group has tinkered with before, and I've kept an eye out for threads about it. So here is my input

I like the classes from d20 modern, however, from what I've seen, most people don't. Not sure how much you want to tinker with the system, but we found the best luck in having it be classless, and a fun experiment that worked well was to get rid of at wills and simply have the players describe their attack and use that to decide the extra effect (after all, if you go through all the martial at wills almost all of them boil down to about a dozen effects: move a guy a space, lower a defense, that sort of thing.)

hope that helps

dirklancer

Explorer
I actually am the creator of the other thread you mentioned and I am working on something similar. I am using Gamma World as my inspiration too, because I like the simpler format and I agree that it would work better for a modern system using 4E. I am working off a 20 level format and am using the old classes from d20 Modern too, but using the dual role idea from Gamma World so you have one Core class and one Career class. I'm posting the level progression table I am working on to give you an idea what I am trying. It could easily be knocked down to 10 levels. without much fuss.
Basically each Core class determines things like your starting HP, number of healing surges, bonuses to skills and defenses, and a special ability. Each core class also has 2 each of Novice, Utility, and Expert powers.
Each Career path determines number and list of trained skills, a defense bonus that stacks with the Core, a special ability, and what the character does on a critical hit. Each career path also has 4 each of Novice, Utility, and Expert powers.
If you advance in the same Core and Career paths, by level 20 you will have strong special abilities, nearly all the Novice powers, and all the Utility and Expert available. If you change paths, you will have more options available, but some will be at a lower power than a dedicated character. Kind of my attempt at old-school multi-classing in 4E.
I liked what you had so far, and maybe we can all create something pretty workable for a nice, simple take on 4E Modern. I'll try to post some of my ideas for the core classes and career paths too if you want.

Attachments

• Advancement.doc
    35 KB · Views: 88

Remove ads