• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Monster Manual excerpt

Jack99

Adventurer
Derren said:
This definition comes directly from the Fire Archon preview article.

Yes, so you are saying that flame = living flame?

Technically a flame can't really be dead, so I guess a flame would have to be living. So unless you are saying that a fire archon is nothing but an ordinary flame, I am guessing that somehow you are saying something else..

What?

No really...

WHAT?

While I don't recall the wording of said article, I am pretty sure that a living flame /= a flame.

AllisterH

First Post
In the anime series, Bastard! (a D&D-influenced series) Dark Schneider faces down a Fire elemental.

His normal fire attacks are literally laughed at by the elemental which points out that being a creature made of fire, it of course is immune to fire.

Naturally, Dark Scneider decides to see HOW IMMUNE and unleashes a HUGE fire attack that promptly blasts said elemental into non-existence.

So, yeah, I don't have a problem with fire elementals not being immune to fire.

Jack99

Adventurer
I just re-read the article..

It says they are a living flame yes, but it also says they have solid form. Ergo you can not claim they abide by the same rules as a normal flame. Then again, you probably will anyway.

Cheers

ThirdWizard

First Post
AllisterH said:
In the anime series, Bastard! (a D&D-influenced series) Dark Schneider faces down a Fire elemental.

His normal fire attacks are literally laughed at by the elemental which points out that being a creature made of fire, it of course is immune to fire.

Naturally, Dark Scneider decides to see HOW IMMUNE and unleashes a HUGE fire attack that promptly blasts said elemental into non-existence.

So, yeah, I don't have a problem with fire elementals not being immune to fire.

4e is so anime!

jasin

Explorer
Graf said:
Charm no longer
1) sucks
2) is painfully vague requiring the DM and the player of the charmed character to spend a half hour arguing about what the PC is obliged to do.

That's pretty worthy.
OTOH, if (if, because there just might be general rules for the Charm tag that expand on this) the whole of the effect is "the target cannot attack the succubus, and if the target is adjacent to the succubus when the succubus is targeted by a melee or a ranged attack, the target interposes itself and becomes the target of the attack instead", then it seems someone charmed by a succubus could happily stand 10 ft. away while his allies tear her limb from limb to his yells of "DEATH TO THE VILE HELLSPAWN!1!!" Yet, if he stands 5 ft. away, he'll possibly give his life to save her from an attack.

Some powers seem designed like the only concern was that they make interesting game pieces, and I really dislike that.

Danzauker

Adventurer
AllisterH said:
War devil or Malebranche (pronounciation anyone)?

mah - leh - BRAN - keh.

That's it's correct pronunciation in Italian, even if the official pronunciation given by the designers in an audio file I got from WotC site was quite different (and horribly wrong). ;)

Dark080matter

First Post
Level 21 Encounter (XP 19,750)

1 war devil (level 22 brute)
1 ice devil (level 20 soldier)
2 bone devils (level 17 controller)
12 legion devil legionnaires (level 21 minion)

I'm still stunned in awesomeness at the War Devil's sample encounter. This is what I'm talking about, a true army of Devils swarming the PCs... Throw in a Pit Fiend in a few levels and start summoning/exploding minions for more beautifully orchestrated chaos. The (apparent) fact that the gloriously iconic/'simplified' MM entries as depicted will actually allow a normal human being to run this encounter and maintain his sanity is just such an overwhelming Win for me.

Did anybody else notice the fact that only the War Devil's entry refers to the Legion Devils as specifically Minions (In the Pit Fiend's Infernal Summons they are referred to only as "8 legion devil legionnaires [level 21]"). We've already seen what the Elite template does, so I suppose this means that Minion is also a distinct template that can be applied as well.

Sick. I love it all. Bring on the rest.

vagabundo

Adventurer
jasin said:
OTOH, if (if, because there just might be general rules for the Charm tag that expand on this) the whole of the effect is "the target cannot attack the succubus, and if the target is adjacent to the succubus when the succubus is targeted by a melee or a ranged attack, the target interposes itself and becomes the target of the attack instead", then it seems someone charmed by a succubus could happily stand 10 ft. away while his allies tear her limb from limb to his yells of "DEATH TO THE VILE HELLSPAWN!1!!" Yet, if he stands 5 ft. away, he'll possibly give his life to save her from an attack.

Some powers seem designed like the only concern was that they make interesting game pieces, and I really dislike that.

You suffering here without the full ruleset. The power description is an exception based on whatever the Charm keyword gives you. My guess is look for something similar to the Charm Spell in 3e. Since the spell did not give mechanics for using Charmed Creatures as meat shields we get the exception in the power description.

I guess they view you as a friend and would have to act appropriately.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads