• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e One-trick ponies: Why is it the DM's fault about combat grind?

Celebrim

Legend
Case in point, many people on these boards have pointed out that a grind-causing problem is Clean-up. That is, when it's clear the PCs are going to win, it's clear that the the monster does not pose a significant threat, but there are multiple rounds in the combat left because the monster isn't dead yet (or isn't close to dead yet). For instance, if you have 1-2 artillery monsters who are the last remaining monsters alive, and they're at full health.

I don't really have a bone in this fight. However, if this is really the problem, why aren't the monsters giving up and running away? Isn't it time for a 'morale check'? Shouldn't smart monsters cut their loses and run?

Maybe it would wreck havoc with carefully balanced encounters for the monsters to not think of themselves as XP and treasure for violent adventurers, but that would be one of the first steps I'd try.

At the very least, turning the fight into a chase would add some variaty.

Not to put words in his mouth, but the OP's point is that the system itself does not prevent grind, and to some extent, it exacerbates it due to design.

Very true. I think the system was _designed_ to grind. It was designed to be predictable. It was designed along the lines of 'Each round, each character will reliably inflict X damage and sustain Y damage, where X and Y are functions of level and role'. The system was designed to make everything standardized, programmatic, and algorithmic. It was a design highly influenced by what WotC had learned from years of producing collectible card games, and in particular collectible card games like MtG that had to be translated into an electronic format. As far as the designers were concerned, 'grind' was a feature not a bug.

I think the basic problem is this - there is no substitute for good encounter design. When 4e made combat the focus of the game, it made designing encounters far less forgiving. At least for me, in earlier editions you could expect a mundane combat to be over very quickly, and so if a given encounter wasn't particularly imaginative or interesting well at least you could move on in a hurry. That's not going to be true of 4e, so you are going to have to work harder to design interesting encounters. Grabbing 6 orcs and throwing them in a room no longer cuts it. You are going to have to play out combats in your mind, thinking about what they are going to be like on turn 3 or 5 and whether you'll still have tricks in your DM bag to keep the fight interesting.

Truename

First Post
Just had my game tonight, and it was a biggie. Climactic lvl+3 encounter (the "Chamber of Works" encounter in SoW 2, Bordrin's Watch). It took 2.5 hours. I had expected it to be long, but unfortunately, it was bit of a grind. :(

In fairness, I think as DM I'm more sensitive to grindiness than the players. I asked the players afterwards what they thought, and they mentioned that the middle was a bit slow but overall it was good, although not one of the best. They were okay with the length of the encounter.

Here's what I think went wrong.

Mild spoilers ahead for Siege of Bordrin's Watch.

So first, this encounter was a meat grinder. As written, it has a level 6 elite soldier, 2 level 4 brutes, 6 level 4 minions, and 1 level 5 controller/leader. My group is one level higher than expected, so I added a level 3 soldier/leader and 2 level 1 artillery to compensate. Nearly all of the enemies are orcs.

The shape of the encounter area is a large cave with a long, narrow one-square entrance tunnel. There's a 6x6 fire at the end of the cave that will attack adjacent squares and spread into them, some difficult terrain, and some dwarven forges that hurt adjacent characters. Also, there's a dying ally that needs to be rescued. All in all, I was looking forward to this one. I thought it had a lot of interesting elements we could use.

The basic shape of the encounter was as follows:
1- PCs worrying about the number of monsters, failing a stealth roll, and a stand-off at the entrance tunnel. PCs don't want to go out, orcs don't want to get stuck in choke point. Everyone readied actions (including orcs) until finally the dwarf fighter charged in, got pig-piled by the orcs' readied actions, and everybody else came out to help.

2- This was the grindy part. Orcs all pounded on the dwarf fighter while the PCs tried to pound on the elite. It had an AC of 24. People were rolling ones on attacks and damage. Agonizingly lots of bad rolls and grind grind grind. Dwarf takes a beating, gets bloodied, healed, bloodied, healed, bloodied, healed, ad nauseum. Never goes down, though. Strikers take out some orcs and pick off the minions and pick off some of the orcs. (PC #6, the wizard, was absent today.) But it's grinding and the three remaining orcs still have nearly all their hit points.

3- I get fed up, have the dying NPC ally blurt out some important information, and the elite charges back to kill him. Bam--suddenly the combat is interesting again. Everybody runs to protect the NPC. People take opportunity attacks to get ahead of the elite and interpose themselves, they drop slow and immobilize effects on the elite, and then they toss him into a fire and immobilize him there. The starting/ongoing damage burns him to a crispy critter. I have everyone roll to hit the remaining orc simultaneously and hand-wave. "Barrage of missiles hits him, bam bam bam bam bam. He's a pincushion." Treasure and XP, congrats all around.

So, what went wrong...

1- bad rolls.
2- orcs are boring. They mindlessly charge, which makes for boring tactics. Also, their common power is to regain hit points, which makes the grind worse.
3- lvl+2 elite soldier. AC 24, Fort 23, Ref 19, Will 16. 144 hit points. Nobody could hit him.
4- lvl+2 elite soldier
5- lvl+2 elite soldier
6- The choke point. Although it made for a nice opening act to the encounter (with the cautious behavior and stand-off), people got stuck at the entrance to the cave. All the interesting terrain was at the back, so it didn't come into play until the very end.
7- None of the players speak Giant (orcish), so they couldn't understand the orcs' tactical conversations. Maybe I was being too "realistic" by obscuring what they were saying, but I want there to be a benefit to knowing a language. But it contributed to the "orcs are boring" effect.
8- Huge variety of monsters for me to think about, which meant I had less time to think about how to recover from the grind.

To fix the problem, I ignored the orc's "recover hit points" powers. I completely forgot about the elite's action point. Then eventually I had the elite attack the NPC, which was the big turning point in fun.

What I will do next time...

1- No choke point at the entrance to my encounters. There's got to be a way for the enemies to circle around and get behind the PCs.
2- Prep more ideas about how to keep the battlefield dynamic in the middle act. Give the monsters an objective other than "kill the PCs," have them talk about it and strive for it.
3- Less variety of monsters. Give each monster more interesting options.
4- When I'm feeling like it's getting boring, I'll try to come up with a way to change the objective again. Having everybody try to protect the NPC ally completely changed the tone of the encounter and made it fun again.

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
1- No choke point at the entrance to my encounters. There's got to be a way for the enemies to circle around and get behind the PCs.

Don't get rid of choe points altogether... They make for high value tactical advantages. Instead, make the choke point just a little less narrow, or nt as long -- that keeps it as a choke point, but gives one side or the other a chance to work their way through with shifts or by forcing movement on the defenders in the choke point.

Also, don't let one side or the other start the battle in the choke point... Make both sides work to get to the defensively advantageous spot.

2- Prep more ideas about how to keep the battlefield dynamic in the middle act. Give the monsters an objective other than "kill the PCs," have them talk about it and strive for it.

Also, add in more simple "instinctual" tactics. "Mindlessly charge" is boring. But add into that, "always prefer bloddied characters as targets". Then, all of a sudden you have orcs willingly and gleefully soaking up opportunity attacks and marking penalties, just so they gang up on the poor bloodied character, "First Blood! GRAAAUGH!". How will the PCs react to that, once they figure out what going on? Over-protect bloodied characters? Or use them as bait?

3- Less variety of monsters. Give each monster more interesting options.

I'm not sure you need too much less variety, just choose your variety more carefully... If all the monsters have basically the same abilities, then you really don't have that much variety.

Next time, try someting like mixing Bugbear Brutes with Goblin Skirmishers and a Hobgoblin Leader, and Kobold Minions. But... Describe them all as orcs.

4- When I'm feeling like it's getting boring, I'll try to come up with a way to change the objective again. Having everybody try to protect the NPC ally completely changed the tone of the encounter and made it fun again.

An excellent idea. I haven't been doing it consciously, but looking back at some of my recent encounters, I can see the same effect. When goals or circumstances suddenly change, the encounter gets a second wind, so to speak.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
So, I've been told to suck it up as a DM and ONLY throw encounters at the PC's that coddle this system-encouraged, one-trick behavior. "Minions, lots of minions" has been the answer to everything. I dunno about the rest of you, but as a DM, I find these blame-the-DM for the foreverness of non-coddled encounter comments kind of offensive.

Here's some options other than minions:
- Give out more action points: more actions = more potential damage.
- Give out more bonuses to hit: more bonuses to hit = more likely to hit with Dailies/Encounters. If your players aren't very tactically-minded, they are missing opportunities to get Combat Advantage (and that's the PLAYERs' fault). If you are stingy about situational modifiers, same deal (and that's YOUR fault, if you need to assign fault for this stuff). This isn't coddling; rather this is part of the system. I give my PCs a +1 bonus to hit for height advantage, such as when they jump up on a table or low wall and fight from there, by way of example.
- Make non-minion enemies have morale. Not every enemy needs to be fighting to the death.
- Make all enemies more "brash." Don't worry about Opportunity Attacks and such. This might seem like coddling, but think about it: some monsters can TAKE all those OAs and still last, so have that monster charge through the Defenders and Strikers and start chomping on the Controller. One dead Controller means you are not coddling anymore!

Wouldn't just a little diversity of skills help this out or is it just "something about the 4e system?"

- One out-of-game skill you may want to build on is encounter building. Not balance or monster mix, per se, but adding dynamic environments. Interactive environments. This shakes up what Powers are being used, what they are being used for, etc.

My favorite example: the white dragon fight in Kobold Hall, back of the DMG.

I expanded the room a little, and added several features the PCs could interact with (and the white dragon could, too). Here are some of those features:

- Pools of water: flash freeze if the square is subjected to a Cold attack. Anyone in that square was immobilized for 1 round.
- Icy Stalactites: an attack that did 6 points of damage to the stalactite would cause it to drop. Anyone in the square below would be attacked at +6 to attack, and take 1d10+3 damage and be immobilized.
- Icy Pillars: the two pillars in the room were made of ice, and could be exploded by dealing 15 damage to them. This would cause an area blast into the adjacent squares on the opposite side of where the attack that broke the pillar originated from, dealing something like 3d8+something damage.

I also added a lip around the outer edge of the room about 15' up that PCs could get to in order to snipe the dragon...but the dragon could tail swipe it and bring it smashing down (in 10' sections).

Most of this came from a post by Mike Mearls. Anyway, it took about 15 minutes to write up and expand the area, and the number of new tactical choices made the fight fun fun fun! I also wrote up a card with all of this info, and the Warlord in the group got to make a Perception roll at the start of combat. If he made the roll, I gave him the card. He'd have to get this info to the players...but he had to do it In Character. So it added some roleplaying depth as well as tons of new options.

Is having to "just end the combat early" maybe just a crappy way of saying that we need a houserule to bandage a 4e bug?

There are other options, above, and suggested by others. 4e's only "bug" in this regard is that it demands encounters to be thought about as more than just hack-fests, but as something more tactical and interactive. Adding difficult terrain, traps, furniture/dungeon dressing that can be used to change up the battle...all of this takes up pages and pages of the DMG for a reason.

I always felt 3e's "stand still, full attack" was much more boring, but that's just me. However, going from 3e to 4e DOES require much more thought about the environment of the fight, rather than just the monsters. You want to make 4e fights more interesting, and the tools are there; you just have to use them.

I'm not saying this stuff to pick a fight, because like most, I'm stuck with 4e. It's what my players want to play..but I've just got a couple annoying 4e bugs that I'd like to squash without having to resort to just throwing tons of Mortal Combat minions at the PC's.

Minions are useful, but like I said, not the only answer. Another option with minions, though -- just to throw it out there -- is minions that are a little tougher. Bloodied at hit #1, dead at hit #2. Keeps players from being too metagamey if you mix up the two options of minions. "Oh snap, I thought it was a minion, but I hit it and it's still up!!"

[edit: does encouraging PC multiclassing help?]

Depends on your group's makeup. Yes, 4e does encourage strikers and defenders (I wouldn't say moreso than the other roles, just that the roles in general require somewhat different thinking than 3e equivalents), so multiclassing into one of those roles can't hurt if you find combats are grinding.

Also, a final thought: make sure you are using the enemies' Powers in interesting ways. I gave tons of options for location-based maneuvers, so feel free to use that for the badguys, too. Look at the trap design in some of the 4e adventures (Kobold Hall again has some neat ideas) and how the badguys use those things to make the fight more than just several monsters with their own powers; they also have the ability to use the environment.

An example from my game:

PCs are in a swampy area, but come across dry land. They walk towards a hill, when at the top, they see two zombies pushing a boulder down at them. As the boulder starts rolling, a kobold pops out from behind the hill and hits the boulder -- which is slicked with oil -- with a fire attack, igniting it! Now, a flaming boulder is rolling at the PCs!

They easily dodge it, but it hits several trees, bursting them into flame. Now, as the PCs are fighting several goblins that pop out of the marsh around the dry land, the PCs have to navigate past several burning trees (which I gave an aura effect of fire damage, to simulate the intense heat of the burning oil). Then the zombies up on the hill charge in, while the kobold spellcaster fights from afar.

Most of these monsters were minions, true, but the point was that the fight was harrowing despite the "weakness" of the enemies. The PCs were taking damage from the fire, had to alter their route into the marsh (difficult terrain) to circumvent the flames and charging zombies, and had to deal with getting sniped round after round by the one non-minion (the kobold spellcaster). It took forever to get to that kobold, and no PCs went down, but many were close...and the "forever" was really just round after round of harrowing near-deaths, constant damage from the spells, and pitched battles between fiery death and slowing, marshy terrain.

I do hope some of this helps!!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
But, but... it does. Math says so.

Well, yes and no. Over the long term, math does say so. At least as far as math is able to make the statistical prediction based on certain assumptions of the distribution of the random variables.
But with respect to any single attack or even single fight, it says a whole lot less. Depending on how the random distribution turns out, there will be whole fights in which that hit bonus is completely irrelevant.

So, yes, math says so... but with extensive caveats.

Obryn

Hero
I don't really have a bone in this fight. However, if this is really the problem, why aren't the monsters giving up and running away? Isn't it time for a 'morale check'? Shouldn't smart monsters cut their loses and run?
I'll avoid comments on the rest of your post - but yes, smart monsters absolutely should do something like checking morale, either by DM fiat, intimidate checks, or a houseruled morale system.

The OP noted that they didn't want to do this. As a result, I think a lot of posters are avoiding this suggestion.

-O

Storminator

First Post
So, what went wrong...

1- bad rolls.
2- orcs are boring. They mindlessly charge, which makes for boring tactics. Also, their common power is to regain hit points, which makes the grind worse.
3- lvl+2 elite soldier. AC 24, Fort 23, Ref 19, Will 16. 144 hit points. Nobody could hit him.
4- lvl+2 elite soldier
5- lvl+2 elite soldier
6- The choke point. Although it made for a nice opening act to the encounter (with the cautious behavior and stand-off), people got stuck at the entrance to the cave. All the interesting terrain was at the back, so it didn't come into play until the very end.
7- None of the players speak Giant (orcish), so they couldn't understand the orcs' tactical conversations. Maybe I was being too "realistic" by obscuring what they were saying, but I want there to be a benefit to knowing a language. But it contributed to the "orcs are boring" effect.
8- Huge variety of monsters for me to think about, which meant I had less time to think about how to recover from the grind.

Earlier in the thread I was thinking about what I like to see in a fight, and what to avoid. And then you go and provide an example...

I think soldiers should be used sparingly, and so should brutes. Putting a few of both in the same encounter, and combining that with a choke point takes a number of minor "grind" issues and stacks them all together at once. I've noticed that our fights tend to end with "and now kill the last 2 soldiers." We're really brainstorming how to beat down soldiers efficiently, and it is tough.

What if you had replaced one brute with a skirmisher, and added a second skirmisher instead of the extra soldier?

PS

Pbartender

First Post
I'll avoid comments on the rest of your post - but yes, smart monsters absolutely should do something like checking morale, either by DM fiat, intimidate checks, or a houseruled morale system.

The OP noted that they didn't want to do this. As a result, I think a lot of posters are avoiding this suggestion.

Maybe it would wreck havoc with carefully balanced encounters for the monsters to not think of themselves as XP and treasure for violent adventurers, but that would be one of the first steps I'd try.

Allow me the indulgence of quoting my earlier suggestion...

Another tip, Emirikol, that I've found helps a lot, but doesn't require any changes to the rules...

Most enemies, excepting the most mindless and the most fanatical, begin to retreat is their hit points dip below bloodied. In the case of minions, they'll typically begin to retreat when all other non-minions go down or retreat.

Not only does it make for more believable combats (How often do creatures or people ever actually fight to the death, if they don't have to?), but it cuts most combats in half, time-wise.

Plus, it makes for a tide turning event that normally ends combat in just a few more rounds.

In addition, let me remind everyone that an Intimidate check vs. Will defense can force a bloodied enemy to surrender (p 184, PHB), thereby ending the combat before the grind gets tiresome.

Remove ads