• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e One-trick ponies: Why is it the DM's fault about combat grind?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Grind?

I dagnabwell thought I solved that problem a week or two ago with the Power of Storytelling.

'tain't about Math, per se...it's about how abilities from monsters and PC's are triggered and used.

Jack99

Adventurer
6 rounds * 8 Minutes = 48 Minutes minimum to kill 5 goblins

Your math in the second round is indeed a bit closer to the truth (since it matches what I wrote), however, there is one thing you failed to remember.

If the players are only using at-wills or basic attacks, there is no way it takes them 1 minute to resolve their action. At least in my experience, any significant time spent on a turn comes from indecision over which power to use. Thus turns probably wouldn't take more than 15 sec or so, or just around 2 minutes per round.

Does 12 minutes a grind make?

Not to mention that it seems that he went by the basic attack of characters, despite at-wills alone do more damage for all classes.

Not 100%. The fighter basic attack gets [W]+ STR mod damage. Sure strike justs gets [W] damage, but a +2 bonus to hit instead. I'm not saying the tradeoff isn't worth it or anything.

Jack99

Adventurer
Not 100%. The fighter basic attack gets [W]+ STR mod damage. Sure strike justs gets [W] damage, but a +2 bonus to hit instead. I'm not saying the tradeoff isn't worth it or anything.

Who the hell uses Sure Strike? Reaping strike is always and Cleave is mostly better damage than a basic attack.

Remove ads