• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E [4E only] What kind of miniatures do you use, if any?

What do you primarily use for miniatures?

• D&D Miniatures (plastic)

Votes: 106 57.9%
  • Metal miniatures

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Chits, markers, or other paper/cardboard products

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • Dice, coins, bottle caps and various household items

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • None - I am mini-free

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • I am Lacutus of Borg, you will be assimilated

Votes: 8 4.4%

JoeGKushner

First Post
Variety. I use the DDM stuff but also metal and also Fiery Dragon counters and also chits or other things when I don't feel like carrying all of those things around.

Robyo

Explorer
As a DM, I own a collection of paper minis, mostly the Pathfinder ones, but some I just downloaded. Also own some of the tokens from 4e Essentials boxed sets, but I really like the figures to stand vertical with a base, whenever possible.

*I heart print and play has a good amount of paper minis that are free to download and kind of fun. Granted, they have a comical look:
http://www.iheartprintandplay.com/download/

Some of the players in our group also own metal and plastic minis, and (when they bother to bring them) we often incorporate them whenever possible.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I use my old 1e D&D lead minis. TSR, Grenadier & Ral Partha!
I use my old 2e D&D lead and pewter minis.
I use warhammer minis.
I use pathfinder minis.
I use lots of newer 3rd party metal minis.

And I use Horror-Clicks (modified w better paint jobs and smaller bases).

But that's not all.
I make molds of some of the good minis, then cast them in resin, paint them, and have an even bigger army of minis.

Oh, I have some WotC plastic StarWars minis too...

I copied and pasted images from the Order of the Stick forum (many unofficial, my favorite being a chess set, oddly enough) and made double-sided cardstock tokens out of them. I've also done the same with Print and Play tokens, plus most official 4e tokens that didn't come with Encounters or Lair Assault.

I have a large collection, and the ones I use the most are the stick-figure style ones, as they're very easy to understand, at least when it comes to humanoids. (The last battle I ran, the PCs could easily distinguish the giant shield-using "pawns" [soldiers] from the caped "king" [warlord] and the greataxe-wielding "knights" [brutes].)

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
None of the options fit, even for "what I use most". I guess "tokens" come the closest. Before 4e I never used minis or a grid.

For PCs, we use Munchkin figures. I bought a pack of them on sale sometime.

I have a handful of Warhammer figures since I flirted with the game in the 90s, both metallic and plastic. Mostly get used for Big Bads and non-hostile NPCs to make them stand out.

I nicked a bunch of rubber plastic animal figures from my youngest brother's toy bin--bears, wolves, tigers, dinosaurs--which stand in for large beasts/beastly monsters.

I bought a bag of cheap plastic knight figures, that I have numbered with a marker, to represent large (humanoid) opponents.

And then I bought a Bag O' Zombies, which I also numbered and colored in various colors using markers and nail polish. They represent most standard opponents (as well as most unimportant NPCs).

I also have a bunch of other tokens, orphaned chess and checkers pieces, general game pieces, lego accessories like chests and barrels and swords, Risk pieces for tiny opponents, and other various odds and ends, which get recruited onto the battlemat as called for.

D'karr

Adventurer
I've always used minis, as far back as when we started playing with the Moldvay Basic Set. Over the years, and many moves, I've lost or "donated" more minis than I can remember.

Nowadays I use almost anything that works. I have a huge collection of Reaper, Games Workshop, and Chainmail metals, and a smaller number of Ral Partha, Grenadier, RAFM, and Citadel (old GW) metals. Some painted though a vast majority are not. On top of that I have a gobload of prepainted DDM, Mage Knight, and Star Wars miniatures. Added to that are the unpainted Reaper plastics (Bones), and unpainted plastics from the D&D boardgames. Tokens, and printed cardstock buildings, assorted things that might look appropriate, such as miniature dungeon dressing and furniture, round out some more "terrain".

When the mood strikes me and there are minis I can't find on the market, I'll even sculpt some minis for my games. For example the Aspis drones (warriors), larva and Aspis Cow of the Slavelords series I sculpted for my conversion of that adventure series for my group. I sculpted a tendriculous and a Gloom Golem for one of my 3.x adventures. A Hengeyokai for one of my players, and since nobody produces a medium sized displacer beast I sculpted one as a fey beast companion.

All in all I will use whatever strikes my fancy for miniatures and terrain.

Last edited:

Gotta use 'em all!

Although I voted metal minis, which has been my primary miniature type of choice in thirty-some-odd years of gaming--no matter which system (D&D; GURPS; Big Eyes, Small Mouth; Gunslingers & Gamblers; whateverelsewehappentorun)--I use metal, plastic, paper stand-ups, chits, 44mm and 54mm models to represent figures on the tabletop. I have boxes and boxes of the stuff . . . and whenever I pick up more minis, my wife always asks, "Don't you have enough of those already?" :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads