D&D 4E [4e] Paladin (feat) advice needed

For a PH-only paladin (or any PH-only class), the multiclass feats are among the most powerful feats you can take. Skill training *and* some kind of extra ability is too good to pass up.

Regarding class native Catch-22s, the PH-only paladin is sadly lacking -- the really good catch-22 Interrupt powers were added by Divine Power or magazine articles.

For a PH-only paladin (or any PH-only class), the multiclass feats are among the most powerful feats you can take. Skill training *and* some kind of extra ability is too good to pass up.

Regarding class native Catch-22s, the PH-only paladin is sadly lacking -- the really good catch-22 Interrupt powers were added by Divine Power or magazine articles.

One thing to consider when playing without any of the splat books and vast array of additional feats is that you CAN afford power swaps. For a STRaladin especially, but maybe also for a CHAladin, they can really pay off. CHAladin can easily pick up Sorcerer powers. I'm not sure exactly how you'd mix some Radiant damage in there using only PHB2 and under, maybe its possible. What would be really cool is to get Radiant on your breath weapon :)

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way

Oh, most definitely. A bunch of the great feats and powers for a DB Paladin are either in Divine Power, a couple of dragon mags, or the PHB Races: Dragonborn booklet. It's a sad limitation, but like I said in the OP, my DM has very good reasons for having the limit, so I'm doing my best to avoid questioning it.

On the bright side, though, it leaves some things un-errata'd that will be more awesome as a result. Like Pit Fighter--which is PHB1! So I'm probably going with Student of the Sword to pick up Pit Fighter later--and if we get access to more options later, I'll ask if I can retrain to a different Fighter MC feat (since Battle Awareness is strictly better). There are also a bunch of tasty Fighter feats like Wary Fighter (a straight-up better version of Battlewise), so even if we apply the Pit Fighter errata there are lots of goodies that will be opened up by going Fighter.

One thing to consider when playing without any of the splat books and vast array of additional feats is that you CAN afford power swaps. For a STRaladin especially, but maybe also for a CHAladin, they can really pay off. CHAladin can easily pick up Sorcerer powers. I'm not sure exactly how you'd mix some Radiant damage in there using only PHB2 and under, maybe its possible. What would be really cool is to get Radiant on your breath weapon :)

Unfortunately, the only way to get the Radiant keyword is through a Dragon mag feat (Radiant Breath, Dragon 378). The prereqs are easy (Dragonborn, any divine class) but...yeah. :S

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
No items in just PHB1/2 I'm guessing that do that... Sigh.

Well, the breath is neither a Weapon nor an Implement attack, so even if there were items that added the Radiant keyword to attacks using them, it wouldn't benefit from them. There *might* be an item that could influence it, but it would need to be special indeed, and I haven't heard of it myself.

Well, the breath is neither a Weapon nor an Implement attack, so even if there were items that added the Radiant keyword to attacks using them, it wouldn't benefit from them. There *might* be an item that could influence it, but it would need to be special indeed, and I haven't heard of it myself.

Yeah, maybe there's a consumable that would work. Certainly it wouldn't be far-fetched to be able to apply some sort of consumable to a breath weapon attack. It might not be perfectly RAW, but sheesh.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Yeah, maybe there's a consumable that would work. Certainly it wouldn't be far-fetched to be able to apply some sort of consumable to a breath weapon attack. It might not be perfectly RAW, but sheesh.

Perhaps. As it stands, I'm not going to fret too much over it. If the DM were to allow us a single splat, I'd definitely take Divine Power first--and it's not like there aren't some nice feats to pick up even with just PHB1/2.

That said, though, a consumable item that changes (or adds to) the breath could be an interesting possible reward. I may mention it to my DM in the future, see what he thinks. Going to sit on it for a while though, just 'cause of the Call Celestial Steed request I already put in. I'm curious to know what he thinks on that, but I don't want to pressure him at all on it either, so until it becomes an upcoming pick (e.g. another three levels from now, which should be a couple months, at least) I'm just gonna let all that stuff sit.

Nibelung

First Post
Also: whether or not it's within the PHB 1/2 limit, does anyone know of anything that can reduce the check penalty of armor? :p

Just because I have not seem this addressed in the topic yet. Just from start, I want to remind you of two little rules:

1) If you suddenly need to make an Athletics check, you can remove the shield with a Standard action, and while you will lose defenses, you will also lose the penalty for the check. So, buy a bunch of mundane Heavy Shields (going to be cost irrelevant soon) and don't mind if one of them get off from a pit of get lost into the river.

2) You have the option to switch your armor from Plate (+8 AC, -2 skills) to Scale (+7 AC, no skill penalty). Depends if you believe the physical check will be more relevant than +1 AC.

Other than that, we can look what you can get with gear:

For Climbing, a mundane Climber's Kit adds +2 (untyped) to your check. Boots of Spider Climbing (level 5, PHB) gives you climb speed once per day. Catstep Boots (Level 3, PHB) gives you +5 to a single Athletics check once a day. Might be a broader (and cheaper) option.

If Adventurer's Vault is on the table even as a suggestion, there is a level 1 item (Floating Shield) that basically means you can't drown.

Last edited:

Hey all. I'm very happily back to gaming in 4e again, but I'm looking for some advice do to a slightly unusual situation.

My DM is a self-avowed grognard/old-school type who found some 4e books for dirt cheap, thought, "Hey, I wonder what all the fuss was about, and I can do a Let's Read of it as I do."

I was going to respond in my most recent Skill Challenge thread, but then I remembered that this one was here.

So I've read the most recent portion of that "Let's Read" thread and he has (a) analyzed the SC section and (b) provided examples of its usage in you guys' play.

I must say. I find it terrifically amusing to see a self-avowed grognard/old-school type groking the system right off, espousing its virtues generally (while being aware of its shortcomings), and giving specific commentary that fundamentally mirrors what several of us on these boards have been saying for years (about its proper application and the indie GMing best practices that underwrites its best usage)!

This is with no prodding from any of us that might bias him! He came to those conclusions on his own entirely. The source of the deep division on the (dis)functionality and (in)coherence of SCs has often baffled me. I do think I see some strain of shared experience and corresponding mental framework on my side of the fence (old school grognards who also have a lot of exposure in and appreciation for GMing conflict-driven, scene-based indie games). I wonder if he is another data point to that end.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I was going to respond in my most recent Skill Challenge thread, but then I remembered that this one was here.

So I've read the most recent portion of that "Let's Read" thread and he has (a) analyzed the SC section and (b) provided examples of its usage in you guys' play.

I must say. I find it terrifically amusing to see a self-avowed grognard/old-school type groking the system right off, espousing its virtues generally (while being aware of its shortcomings), and giving specific commentary that fundamentally mirrors what several of us on these boards have been saying for years (about its proper application and the indie GMing best practices that underwrites its best usage)!

This is with no prodding from any of us that might bias him! He came to those conclusions on his own entirely. The source of the deep division on the (dis)functionality and (in)coherence of SCs has often baffled me. I do think I see some strain of shared experience and corresponding mental framework on my side of the fence (old school grognards who also have a lot of exposure in and appreciation for GMing conflict-driven, scene-based indie games). I wonder if he is another data point to that end.

Part of it, frankly, is Keehnelf's ability to take a step back and tell himself, "This is a new game, with a new goal and purpose. What's that like in action? Maybe it could be fun." He doesn't expect every D&D to be the same D&D--just that it have...plausible similarity, I guess. And with our game, he's specifically pushing the system in the directions that it most thoroughly encourages: refluff things, customize your monsters the way you want them to work, have high-action high-drama scenes, be open to the strange and the crazy if your players are, etc.

I definitely feel like his experience with far, far "looser" systems is a huge boon for being a first-time 4e DM; specifically, the PbtA games. Despite being mechanically as different as night and day, 4e captures a similar result. In fact, they may not actually be that much different! Both games have clear, overt rules the players can see and leverage. Both have important guidelines for the DM--but specific advice to disregard those guidelines when it makes for a better game. Both put an emphasis on party diversity to avoid issues during play (DW classes tend to have one Core Thing, so two Fighters can be kind of dull; 4e classes have their roles, and having the four bases covered is Pretty Important). Sure, the specific mechanical implementation is different, but I mean, 4e's keywords are effectively identical to DW's tags, in that they point to specific game-rule elements and are often used for balance of some kind (consider the number of DW classes that have the "you ignore the Clumsy tag on armor you wear" feature!)

And, lest I pain an inaccurate picture: none of this is to say that he's jettisoned his old sensibilities. They're absolutely still there, and he's had some beefs with the way the book authors casually present highly debatable stuff as standard or even expected (e.g. "all that non-combat stuff is a nice break between bouts of FUN" and such claptrap). It's just that he can evaluate things from within their new context--as long as they don't disparage, intentionally or unintentionally, the contexts he's coming from. Because of that, I think his focus has been more on, "Wow, this is pretty solid for its goals!" rather than "Wow, this is NOT the game I expected to play!" And that difference--pleased at a thing being good for its particular flavor, rather than bothered for it not having the "right" flavor--is what has made everything else possible.

As a result, he's giving 4e a no-holds-barred, fully on-board run, and it's going great, at least for me. If I had stumbled on his recruitment threads without knowing the context behind the game, I don't think I'd ever know that he is a self-professed grognard coming into 4e for the first time. Even his first attempt at a Skill Challenge was solid (though he's also improved, rapidly); his encounters are varied and challenging, and thus far we've only had one (the very first of the campaign, for me at least--I joined up a session late) that didn't have some kind of altered or tweaked victory condition besides "kill all the things dead." He's eminently comfortable reskinning, tweaking, and adapting monsters to fit the context, like with the mainframe/turret fight (I don't remember the details, but he explained them to us after). Sometimes, little rules minutia slip past, e.g. he wasn't sure whether forced movement considers difficult terrain (it doesn't, but blocking terrain e.g. solid walls, and hindering terrain e.g. lava pools, do), but that's hardly surprising even for a longtime GM.

Remove ads