• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e PHB Improved Index - What do you want?

Propagandroid

First Post
Next week I'm going to be releasing a comprehensive index for the 4e PHB, and the DMG will follow shortly. I thought I'd give you guys the weekend to give me suggestions, vent your frustrations, and just generally tell me what you'd like an improved index to look like.

Do you want it extremely comprehensive, or just a bit better than the existing one?

What do you think about double entries, such that "ranger" would show up as a sub-head of "classes" as well as its own entry? Many sub-heads would end up with their own entries this way. Waste of space?

I'm going to break out things like Magic Items and Feats into their own indexes since there are tons of them.

DanChops

First Post
Next week I'm going to be releasing a comprehensive index for the 4e PHB, and the DMG will follow shortly. I thought I'd give you guys the weekend to give me suggestions, vent your frustrations, and just generally tell me what you'd like an improved index to look like.

That sounds excellent! Kudos for doing this.

Do you want it extremely comprehensive, or just a bit better than the existing one?

I'm assuming this will be in a searchable format? If so, then make it as comprehensive as possible. If not, well, I'm still a fan of as comprehensive as possible. Basically, my vote is for comprehensive. :)

What do you think about double entries, such that "ranger" would show up as a sub-head of "classes" as well as its own entry? Many sub-heads would end up with their own entries this way. Waste of space?

Not a waste of space at all. Double entries are, IMHO, necessary to create a comprehensive index.

I'm going to break out things like Magic Items and Feats into their own indexes since there are tons of them.

Cool!

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Can't say I need a comprehensive index for the PHB or DMG. I find both to be pretty easy to find anything in and even then, I hardly need to look either up.

The MM on the other hand would be great if it could have a searchable index of some type that could sort by various categories like, all brutes, by level, all elites by level, all undead, etc.

Asmor

First Post
The MM on the other hand would be great if it could have a searchable index of some type that could sort by various categories like, all brutes, by level, all elites by level, all undead, etc.

http://www.asmor.com/scripts/4eEncounterGen/lister.php

This is a utility I made to go along with my Random Encounter Generator. Let's you find all monsters of a specific level range and then you can sort the table based on any of the fields. The nice things about it over the above-posted Excel sheet are

1. It's online, meaning you don't need Office or any other programs to use it and you can use it anywhere.
2. It contains everything that's been released in Dungeon, Dragon, and adventures which I could get my hands on (though you can choose which sources to use).

Starbuck_II

First Post

Index page for Levels of Advancement in PHB (for powers #).
PHB only shows Three Tiers page (unless you8 know it is there; you'd never look).

Starting Gold (easy to miss on first read through)

Stuff like that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads