[4E, Planning]Help me decide what game to run!

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Hey there.

I'm trying to work up to running a pbp 4e game again. I'm really looking to get some feedback on what sounds good to people to run. I have three choices, and am looking for general interest and feedback.

The Reclamation of Forgehold
Forgehold is a ruined Dwarven city that was until fairly recently abandoned. It once was a flourishing city of trade and wealth, but it is told that the city was left behind when some powerful malevolent force drove the dwarves from the area. The city has been used in part by various savage tribes through the century, but legends say that some misfortune strikes down those foolish enough to try to stay there too long. Of course the fact that the ruins are in a large area that has extremely cold, snowy winters, unusual for someplace this far south. The area's climate has seemed to warm recently, and a bold alliance of merchant interests have swooped in to try to reclaim the city. The PC's have been recruited to help drive out the tribes that have moved into the city again, and perhaps explore some deeper reaches of the city.
OOC: This is a "Pool of Radiance" inspired game. PCs will take missions from various factions and discover the ancient secret of the dwarves. I started a version of this a few years ago. I'm, retooling it entirely.

Clutches of the Maw
[Working Title]
The trip on a skyship to a penal colony passes through some dangerous sky. On the earthmotes down here, the view to the swirling maw at the center of the great Maelstrom is equally beautiful and terrifying. Probably the last thing the Eladrin crew wanted was an escape attempt. But you pulled it off, and now you are lost. And the Eladrin are not done with you yet.

This is sort of a character driven plot where various escaped prisoners with varying backstories are thrown together trying to escape back to their normal lives. Wackiness ensues.
OOC: Yes, it shouldn't be too hard to see the Farscape influence here. It's also the most "different" setting.

Damned If You Do...
[Even More Working Title]
"Elber's Tomb, that's what it's been always been called. Now who Elber is no one remembers. Heck, old Jazzik says it isn't really even a tomb. It's always been a place for boogey men and other nonsense, and there have been some disappearances near there, but enough people get captured and dropped into an orc's cookpot or worse, that it's probably no more dangerous than anywhere else. Of course, people have been hearing and seeing strange things for a few weeks, and what about the stranger who was asking about the tomb a few months back?" Investigation of a mysterious location near the character's hometown. Characters may be born in the town and returning after an absence, or may be visitors from afar. Themes will touch on hard choices and responsibility for your actions.
OOC: This is a back to my roots game for me. Local semi-rural town, mysterious dungeon nearby. A bit Diablo in setup I suppose.

Let me know if you are interested, or have any comments. I am running one of these at most, for 3-6 players.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
I did sort of start #2 once before as well, but that game died before the end of the first encounter.

(Man, I stink at rolling dice online, too)

Shayuri

First Post
I think I was involved in that, in fact. The shattered world? The all-consuming Maw. The giant fragments and the ships that sail the howling winds that flow between...

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
I've been running a Pool of Radiance type game in my tabletop sessions and I can say it works very well with 4E. I would encourage you to try it if you like that style. I can see it working well with a PBP game too.

Almightyfoon

First Post
The first two really interested me, I'd be up for playing either. The Dwarf one gave lots of room for expansion, and a good level of play. Whereas the Skyship has a nice feel to it for some very interesting characters, I may even be able to retool a character I had for a 3.5 game that never took off for it. I've got ideas for either.

tiornys

Explorer
All three look like they would make fun and interesting games, but I am slightly more interested in #2. I really like having the environment be a challenge as long as that challenge is interesting. Anyway, having failed at thesaurusness, that's my vote.

(by any chance is there inspiration from Dragon Wing in that second setting?)

t~

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
tiornys said:
(by any chance is there inspiration from Dragon Wing in that second setting?)

Uh-oh, I've been found out. I knew I should have gone with an evil empire of space gnomes.

*sigh* I'm still torn. I may try to do more than one, just starting one at a time. Very gratified that people like the ideas.

Remove ads