• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e query

sammy

First Post
My Wizard player asked me if she could use her light spell to blind enemies. I couldn't find anything saying yes or no, so now I ask the minds here for an answer.

I also wanted to know what exactly "resist 10 all" meant. I figured it was to damages like fire, cold, necrotic, etc., not to normal weapon damage.

All help is appreciated.

Sammy the new 4e DM, once 3.5 DM, once 2nd DM

Andur

First Post
No to blinding, if it isn't in the HIT, EFFECT, or SPECIAL fields the power can't do it basically.

You are correct on Resist 10 All, it only includes named damage types, untyped damage is only resisted on specific exception based instances.

Vayden

First Post
I tried to find the relevant rule, but I couldn't.

A) I can't find that rule anywhere in 4th edition. It was there in 3rd, but that was because resistances were different from DR. There is no DR in 4e, so I think that rule no longer applies.

B) All PHB powers that I can find definitely say "Target gains resist 10 to all damage", so PC resists definitely apply to weapon damage. I see no reason why a monster with resist all 10 wouldn't get that benefit versus weapon damage.

Aservan

First Post
The light cantrip is cast in an unoccupied square or on an object. So it would be difficult to get it close enough to some one's eyes to blind them. Which doesn't mean it can't be done. My advise would be to not say no but make it difficult. Say you need to make a dex vs. ref with a -2 circumstance penalty to blind a sighted target until the end of your next turn. The idea being you cast light on a pebble and throw it at some one's eyes. The risk reward is pretty poor on this attack so it wouldn't come up very often. The attack can't work more then once per encounter and only on a foe you have combat advantage on. To represent the surprise necessary and the fact that once some one sees you do it they will just slap the pebble away.

Tat way the party can't turn what is intended to be a minor benefit into a big advantage but they aren't punished for thinking outside the box either.

LostSoul

Adventurer
My Wizard player asked me if she could use her light spell to blind enemies. I couldn't find anything saying yes or no, so now I ask the minds here for an answer.

The DMG advises you to say yes to players when they do something that the rules don't cover, using page 42 to adjudicate it.

I would let the PC cast Light and make an Int vs. Fort attack. (Maybe Will or Ref, depends on how the player describes it!)

Then I would decide what effect "blinding" will have - basically, how good the Wizard can blind someone with Light.

I've looked through the PHB at powers that do "blinding" sort of things. This seems like a good guideline:

Code:
Level.....Effect
1-2.......-2 to attacks until then end of your next turn
3-12......Dazed until the end of your next turn
13+.......Blinded until the end of your next turn

Or basically, you have a new power like this:

Blinding Light
At-Will ♦ Arcane
Standard Action Ranged
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target takes a -2 penalty to attacks until the end of your next turn.
Change to the target is dazed until the end of your next turn at level 3.
Change to the target is blinded until the end of your next turn at level 13.
Special: You can use this power multiple times per encounter, but only once on each target.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Light can't target creatures.

It can only target objects or an area.

Creatures are neither objects nor areas.

That said, I might allow the Blinding Light, especially since it's not an Implement power and therefore can't get that sweet implement bonus on attacks.

Tale

First Post
The DMG advises you to say yes to players when they do something that the rules don't cover, using page 42 to adjudicate it.

It'd be wise to be careful with this. It'll start with using a cantrip to blind an enemy. Next thing you know, you're rolling perception checks for the Dragon every round because the Ranger Twin-Striked his eyes out in the surprise round and the Warlock is wanting to know if he can Hurl only the head through Hell.

It's nice when it's cool and original, but I'd avoid doing it if it can be used constantly and raises the power of anything significantly.

But, maybe I'm just a jerk.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads